LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#101 November 8 2019

nas93

Re: Lebanese lira to USD exchange

sero wrote:
nas93 wrote:

Anyone recently exchanged $ to LBP at the sarraf? What are the rates?

Today, at 1770 (sold USD)

Thank you!

Agree with xerxes, anyone exchanging USD please let us know.

#102 November 8 2019

Adnan

1820-1850 at 6pm in Tripoli

#103 November 9 2019

VincentKeyboard

If you want to withdraw LP from a dollars account in a bank, what are their exchange rates?

#104 November 9 2019

karimo

VincentKeyboard wrote:

If you want to withdraw LP from a dollars account in a bank, what are their exchange rates?

they use the "official" rate 1 usd = 1507 lbp aka they buy your 1$ for 1507 lira while exchange shop should give you about 1750 lira for your 1$

only withdraw lbp from usd account if you REALLY need the money for emergency, otherwise wait till banks start letting people to withdraw usd

#105 November 9 2019

VincentKeyboard

karimo wrote:
VincentKeyboard wrote:

they use the "official" rate 1 usd = 1507 lbp aka they buy your 1$ for 1507 lira while exchange shop should give you about 1750 lira for your 1$

only withdraw lbp from usd account if you REALLY need the money for emergency, otherwise wait till banks start letting people to withdraw usd

Ok, good. That's a relief. I don't want banks to start going over the official rate.

#106 November 9 2019

user

That's not good, it is good if you have a 10$ loan and the bank accepts 15000LL but they are not. Many clients have reported banks force them to bring USD. But when it is time for the USD client to get usd they say sorry here is lira.

#107 November 10 2019

nas93

Nothing is good right now, if you can transfer your savings do it.

#108 November 11 2019

dsoftware.king

Does anyone know the exchange rate today?

#109 November 11 2019

Kareem

dsoftware.king wrote:

I came here to ask the same question. No one is willing to give me the rate today.

#110 November 11 2019

nuclearcat

Check with this guy, https://twitter.com/OmarTamo19 , he often publish average "grey market" rate.

#111 November 11 2019

rolf

dsoftware.king wrote:

Honestly I am afraid to check the updates on this thread.

Anyway it was Sunday yesterday and today is a holiday.

#112 November 11 2019

Kareem

I read few mins ago that banks will close tomorrow until further notice. I hope this ain't true otherwise I'll be in a really big trouble :)

#113 November 11 2019

rolf

Kareem wrote:

I read few mins ago that banks will close tomorrow until further notice. I hope this ain't true otherwise I'll be in a really big trouble :)

You are not already in big trouble?

Last edited by rolf (November 11 2019)

#114 November 11 2019

Kareem

rolf wrote:
Kareem wrote:

You are not already in big trouble?

Actually "I" am but my sister who happens to be in the US pursuing her studies needs money ( tuition, rent etc..) and since we can't transfer money anymore ( which is absolutely obnoxious and unfair), I need to withdraw dollars in LBP at 1505 rate from the bank, convert the LBP to USD at 1750 and give the money to someone going to the states after tomorrow.

And yes, ATM is not giving me LBP instead of USD for some reason...

Ironically, I just realized that AMEX reduced my CC limit from 15K to 3.2K WITHOUT ANY NOTICE

This is beyond ridiculous... and this country is literally ruled by mafias.

update : 1 USD = 1725 LBP - Nov 11, black market rate.

Last edited by Kareem (November 11 2019)

#115 November 11 2019

AVOlio

Kareem wrote:

Ironically, I just realized that AMEX reduced my CC limit from 15K to 3.2K WITHOUT ANY NOTICE

What does American Express credit cards have to do with the situation here?

#116 November 11 2019

Kareem

AVOlio wrote:
Kareem wrote:

What does American Express credit cards have to do with the situation here?

Exactly... NOTHING... but it's like everyone is going with the flow. It only means one thing... They're minimizing the risks but why? probably because of lack of high demand, low supply of USD.

#117 November 11 2019

Guitaret

Kareem wrote:

This is now confirmed, "The union of bank employees declared an open strike starting tomorrow until things are calm again". Finally, they find a good excuse to shut down the bank: the safety of bank employees.

Last edited by Guitaret (November 11 2019)

#118 November 11 2019

rolf

Kareem wrote:

Actually "I" am but my sister who happens to be in the US pursuing her studies needs money ( tuition, rent etc..) and since we can't transfer money anymore ( which is absolutely obnoxious and unfair), I need to withdraw dollars in LBP at 1505 rate from the bank, convert the LBP to USD at 1750 and give the money to someone going to the states after tomorrow.

I am still trying to find out if it is possible to use LBP debit cards to purchase foreign currencies online.

I don't have such a card so I can't try myself.

In theory you can have better rates using this method.

#119 November 11 2019

Kareem

rolf wrote:
Kareem wrote:

I am still trying to find out if it is possible to use LBP debit cards to purchase foreign currencies online.

I used my EUR credit card to buy something in USD online... they charged me 4.5% currency exchange excluding the 2% fees :)

#120 November 11 2019

rolf

Kareem wrote:
rolf wrote:
Kareem wrote:

I used my EUR credit card to buy something in USD online... they charged me 4.5% currency exchange excluding the 2% fees :)

Oh OK.

#121 November 11 2019

rolf

If you can make payments online with acceptable rates then there are a few options in theory, such as buying bitcoins and then sending them, or issuing bogus invoices to yourself which will be paid by a Lebanese card but routed to a US account.

#122 November 11 2019

Guitaret

What about internet cards (that we are still able to buy USD from the bank at official rate)?

#123 November 11 2019

rolf

Guitaret wrote:
Kareem wrote:

This is now confirmed, "The union of bank employees declared an open strike starting tomorrow until things are calm again". Finally, they find a good excuse to shut down the bank: the safety of bank employees.

This is perfectly understandable. It is sad, the bank tellers are the public face of the bank and they have to deal with angry customers and much higher pressure than normally.

What everyone really needs to know is: what is their plan to make "things" to become "calm again"?

#124 November 11 2019

Hybrid

rolf wrote:

If you can make payments online with acceptable rates then there are a few options in theory, such as buying bitcoins and then sending them, or issuing bogus invoices to yourself which will be paid by a Lebanese card but routed to a US account.

How can you buy bitcoin without losing like 10% of the money in Lebanon?

And Today's rate is 1900

#125 November 11 2019

Kareem

Hybrid wrote:
rolf wrote:

How can you buy bitcoin without losing like 10% of the money in Lebanon?

And Today's rate is 1900

it was 1720 in the morning. You sure ?

Board footer