LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 8 2019

joem

Laptop connects to any 4G but to no WiFi router

Hello,
Suddenly, my laptop stopped connecting to any WiFi router but still connect to any 4G smart phone.
I updated the driver but in vain.
Please advise
(Win 10 Pro 2018)

#2 November 10 2019

ahk40a

Re: Laptop connects to any 4G but to no WiFi router

joem wrote:

Hello,
Suddenly, my laptop stopped connecting to any WiFi router but still connect to any 4G smart phone.
Please advise
(Win 10 Pro 2018)

If you mean that you cannot connect to a Router Wifi and you can still connect to a 4G enabled phone via wifi tethering, in that case, log in into your router and configure the wifi channel to Channel 1, 6 or 11 if it is 2.4GHz. If the Wifi card in your laptop is old it might not support channel 12 or 13 of the Wifi.

#3 November 10 2019

new_user

ahk40a wrote:
joem wrote:

Hello,
Please advise
(Win 10 Pro 2018)

If you mean that you cannot connect to a Router Wifi and you can still connect to a 4G enabled phone via wifi tethering, in that case, log in into your router and configure the wifi channel to Channel 1, 6 or 11 if it is 2.4GHz. If the Wifi card in your laptop is old it might not support channel 12 or 13 of the Wifi.

Its not that the laptop is old. Channels 12 and 13 are banned in USA so if your device is from USA it will not detect wifi on channel 12 or 13.
When u boot on ur router it picks the channel with the least interference so if this happens to be channel 12 or 13 ur laptop will not see it.

U can select a fixed channel as ahk40a suggested, but a better solution would be to leave it on auto and change the country in ur router's settings to USA. This way when u boot it on it will select a channel only between 1 and 11 instead of 1 and 13.

#4 November 10 2019

joem

Thank you dears,
By the way, my second laptop connects well to the same routers (at home and at office).
Will try your advice.

Last edited by joem (November 10 2019)

Board footer