LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 24 2019

JudicatorKhoury

Industrial engineer with USA passport, where to go?

I am in confusion right now and I'm sick of my current situation.
I hold a USA passport and I have 5 years of experience in industrial engineering and some experience with digital marketing.
Where to go? Where can I find a path to a better life?
I filled the first Canadian immigration form but I don't see myself living there.
Any thoughts?

Edit: forgot my engineering work

Last edited by JudicatorKhoury (October 24 2019)

#2 October 24 2019

xazbrat

Re: Industrial engineer with USA passport, where to go?

With an American passport, you can try to work anywhere.  Try other markets like India or the far east like Malaysia, S. Korea or Hong Kong (ok maybe not now).  Don't limit yourself to known destinations--try some other areas of the world which don't initially come to mind,  Fiji perhaps? 

Anyhow, good luck.

#3 October 24 2019

rolf

JudicatorKhoury wrote:

I hold a USA passport and I have some experience with digital marketing.

Uh really? A passport from one of the biggest countries in the world, probably the most reliable economy and highest standards of living?
The center of innovation in the world?
And you are asking where to go?
Are you just trying to flaunt it or do you really have no clue?

What's wrong with USA, maybe California, Chicago, Florida?
Or maybe try securing one of the many remote jobs that are advertized online and available only to US citizen, then move to some really cheap and nice place in East Europe, like Croatia, Czech Republic or Georgia, or even Turkey or Cyprus if you don't want to go far.

Last edited by rolf (October 24 2019)

#4 October 24 2019

JudicatorKhoury

rolf wrote:
JudicatorKhoury wrote:

Uh really? A passport from one of the biggest countries in the world, probably the most reliable economy and highest standards of living?

Or maybe try securing one of the many remote jobs that are advertized online and available only to US citizen, then move to some really cheap and nice place in East Europe, like Croatia, Czech Republic or Georgia, or even Turkey or Cyprus if you don't want to go far.

My family members have had bad experiences in the USA and I don't feel like starting a new life in a country with such deep political issues (that's the reason I want to leave Lebanon)

That's why I really have no clue.
I have been trying to network beyond Lebanon but I'm having trouble landing interviews while being here in Lebanon.

My current savings aren't enough to just relocate without a plan.

Last edited by JudicatorKhoury (October 24 2019)

#5 October 24 2019

rolf

JudicatorKhoury wrote:
rolf wrote:
JudicatorKhoury wrote:

My family members have had bad experiences in the USA and I don't feel like starting a new life in a country with such deep political issues (that's the reason I want to leave Lebanon)

That's why I really have no clue.
I have been trying to network beyond Lebanon but I'm having trouble landing interviews while being here in Lebanon.

My current savings aren't enough to just relocate without a plan.

It is understandable, I am in a quite comparable situation.
I had a few phone interviews but it seems that the fact that I am not located wherever the job is, is a major turn-off. I am guessing that it is a risk for them, which gives the edge to other candidates. They think you are more likely to change your mind if you are a thousand miles away, I guess.

However people do get hired remotely and then relocate. I think it is more for positions where you are expected to stay a long time, make a career with the company, so you start at the bottom. For positions where they are looking for particular skills to fill a particular vacancy or specific immediate need they will be looking at the most accessible candidate, who can start quickly.

#6 October 24 2019

rolf

By the way I just want to say that there are countries which are really cheap. I don't know what means "not much savings" for you, I thought it was worth mentioning.
I am sorry about your dilemma, you have my sympathy!

#7 October 24 2019

JudicatorKhoury

rolf wrote:

By the way I just want to say that there are countries which are really cheap. I don't know what means "not much savings" for you, I thought it was worth mentioning.
I am sorry about your dilemma, you have my sympathy!

By not much savings I mean I cannot survive myself and my fiancee for more than 10 months without income.

#8 October 24 2019

rolf

JudicatorKhoury wrote:

By not much savings I mean I cannot survive myself and my fiancee for more than 10 months without income.

10 months is great. What I can suggest, if you are intent on emigrating, is for you to go somewhere where you (and your fiancee hopefully) have good chances to quickly land a job, any low level job that would help you sustain yourself. Any temp job, restaurants, etc.

This would be the first step and then with some peace of mind you can look for a job more suited to your experience and with better income.

Board footer