LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 20 2019

Hamlock

Silencing My UPS

We all know how the beeping of a UPS is, it's extremely loud and annoying, so I finally decided to remove the speaker. The problem is that I have no idea what I'm doing. I know you might get yourself killed from an electric shock, so I'm asking around here to see what to do. I don't know how to unplug the battery and I'm not sure what the speaker looks like, I've seen images of it online but nothing on the motherboard seems to look like it.

The UPS is called Powerware 5115, here's a pic of the internals:

1 bbcode test

Also, I think this might be the speaker? I don't know if I should just yank it off or something.

2 bbcode test

#2 September 20 2019

nuclearcat

Re: Silencing My UPS

put tape on top of hole in middle and check if it became more silent, if yes - then yes, this is it

#3 September 20 2019

Hamlock

nuclearcat wrote:

put tape on top of hole in middle and check if it became more silent, if yes - then yes, this is it

Alright, I tried it and it did indeed become more silent. Now I just have to figure out how to remove it without damaging anything lol

#4 September 20 2019

Hamlock

Okay, it took a bit of force but I managed to yank it off. Tested it and there's no sound! Ironically enough, the UPS I have comes with a mute button below the power button, it works but it's not permanent; it only works when the UPS starts beeping, meaning that you have to press the mute button again every time the power goes out.

I wish we didn't have to resort to such lengths to stop a stupid beeping sound, but that's what we Lebanese people have to deal with I guess. lol

#5 September 21 2019

beezer

Yeah, first thing I do is I take out those damn speakers. I have 4 UPS at home.

I like how we believe we have 24/7 electricity but no we don't. That minute transfer every few hours is annoying AF. And wakes me up if it starts beeping.

#6 September 22 2019

rolf

A long time ago I had this project of using my PC as a fancy alarm clock. So I wrote a script to make Winamp (yes that long ago) launch and fade in a wake-up playlist and ran it at a specific hour in the morning using a task scheduler. I used silent fans, etc. on the PC and of course it needed a UPS but the beep was a problem.

So I opened the UPS be careful not to touch anything else, especially the big capacitors, it can be dangerous. What I did is to de-solder the buzzer from the board. No more beep. I attached the buzzer to inside of the case using tape, so that can be re-soldered it if needed, then re-assembled the UPS.

Last edited by rolf (September 22 2019)

Board footer