LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 23 2019

Cage

Ogero Plan for Gaming

Hello everyone hope you're doing well,
I recently have submitted an application to Ogero for the 2 mbps unlimited plan (I used to take internet from Cyberia but ever since they introduced the unlimited evening offer ping in online games were averaging 150~ up from 100~). I did ask them if the speed is gonna make it any harder for me in games in terms of latency and they told me that i can call them after i get my router to their office in Mina al Hosn so they would "set it up for gaming " as  they said. Anyone here got the same plan from Ogero? How's the latency in online games?

#2 August 23 2019

Kazouza

Re: Ogero Plan for Gaming

From what I know, "ogero gaming plan" consists basically of turning off interleaving, assuming your line can handle it. I am on the 2mbps unlimited plan, but sadly I am too far away from the centrale so I basically can't take advantage of it. I usually game at a 90-110ms latency. With interleaving off, ping can reach 60-70ms.

If you search on this forum, you can find several posts where they talk about interleaving.
Hope this helps!

#3 August 26 2019

Tech Guru

Cage wrote:

I recently have submitted an application to Ogero for the 2 mbps unlimited plan (I used to take internet from Cyberia but ever since they introduced the unlimited evening offer ping in online games were averaging 150~ up from 100~). I did ask them if the speed is gonna make it any harder for me in games in terms of latency and they told me that i can call them after i get my router to their office in Mina al Hosn so they would "set it up for gaming " as  they said. Anyone here got the same plan from Ogero? How's the latency in online games?

2Mbps with much lower uploads (   Asynchronous ADSL) ,  even with interleaving off,  is far from a good gaming experience. I switched to 1TB FTTC Ogero Fiber Plan ,  my gaming experience is shuffled from ground to up compared to my old gaming plan of ex plan ( 4Mbps Unlimited with Interleaving off).

#4 August 27 2019

Kareem

Tech Guru wrote:
Cage wrote:

2Mbps with much lower uploads (   Asynchronous ADSL) ,  even with interleaving off,  is far from a good gaming experience. I switched to 1TB FTTC Ogero Fiber Plan ,  my gaming experience is shuffled from ground to up compared to my old gaming plan of ex plan ( 4Mbps Unlimited with Interleaving off).

FTTC or FFTH ?    FTTC as in VDSL2 ?

#5 August 27 2019

Cage

Kazouza wrote:

From what I know, "ogero gaming plan" consists basically of turning off interleaving, assuming your line can handle it. I am on the 2mbps unlimited plan, but sadly I am too far away from the centrale so I basically can't take advantage of it. I usually game at a 90-110ms latency. With interleaving off, ping can reach 60-70ms.

If you search on this forum, you can find several posts where they talk about interleaving.
Hope this helps!

I have been reading about interleaving for a while now. And depending on what i read, It sacrifices speed for latency and i don't think i am gonna do that considering my high speed 2mbps that i am gonna get lol. I am okay with 90 - 100 ms. And damn ogero's taking so damn long to switch and get my net back...

#6 August 27 2019

Kazouza

Cage wrote:
Kazouza wrote:

Hope this helps!

I have been reading about interleaving for a while now. And depending on what i read, It sacrifices speed for latency and i don't think i am gonna do that considering my high speed 2mbps that i am gonna get lol. I am okay with 90 - 100 ms. And damn ogero's taking so damn long to switch and get my net back...

It's true that it sacrifices speed for latency, but assuming you're not too far from the centrale, it means that your line can probably handle more than 2mbps. So even if your max speed went down from 4 to 3 for example, you'll still be getting the 2mbps speed with lower ping. I'd suggest you wait and check out your SNR and max speed once you get your modem and based on that you'll decide if your line can handle interleaving or not.

#7 August 27 2019

Cage

Kazouza wrote:
Cage wrote:
Kazouza wrote:

Hope this helps!

It's true that it sacrifices speed for latency, but assuming you're not too far from the centrale, it means that your line can probably handle more than 2mbps. So even if your max speed went down from 4 to 3 for example, you'll still be getting the 2mbps speed with lower ping. I'd suggest you wait and check out your SNR and max speed once you get your modem and based on that you'll decide if your line can handle interleaving or not.

Hmm, I understand. I had the open speed plan with Cyberia and i used to get around 8-10 mbps download speed. But i'll follow your advice, Thanks.

#8 August 27 2019

Tech Guru

Kareem wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
Cage wrote:

Ogero Told FTTC and to my residance FTTH.
Fiber To Cabinet in Our Area (Ogero)

Fiber to Cabinet then Fiber to Home

#9 August 27 2019

Kareem

Tech Guru wrote:
Kareem wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

What's the modem they're using for FTTH ??

#10 August 28 2019

Tech Guru

Kareem wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
Kareem wrote:

GPON ONU Modem Fiber Optic

#11 August 28 2019

Kareem

Tech Guru wrote:
Kareem wrote:

GPON ONU Modem Fiber Optic

I meant the brand of the modem. Nevermind..

#12 September 9 2019

purpleradish

Has any one tried to game on the 4Mbps unlimited plan? Does it have better ping than the 2Mbps plan, and is it worth paying the extra for?

What sort of 'real world' download speed can one get on the 2Mbps and 4Mbps plans respectively? Enough to watch 1080HD Youtube and 4k Netflix?

Last edited by purpleradish (September 9 2019)

#13 September 9 2019

Cage

purpleradish wrote:

Has any one tried to game on the 4Mbps unlimited plan? Does it have better ping than the 2Mbps plan, and is it worth paying the extra for?

What sort of 'real world' download speed can one get on the 2Mbps and 4Mbps plans respectively? Enough to watch 1080HD Youtube and 4k Netflix?

On the 2 mbps plan you get around 1.75~ mbps speed and on the 4mbps speed you get around 3.75 or something like that it never reaches 2 or 4 mbps.

And actually I do think the 4mbps plan would fix the ping a little bit. I have the 2 mbps unlimited plan now and I am not really happy since ping is inconsistent most of the times if there is someone else using the internet ( not YouTube or anything just regular usage) it be around 70 ping then suddenly jumps to around 150ms. As for watching videos and YouTube, on my 2 mbps plan I am able to watch YouTube vids at 480p without any buffers and 720p vids on my Ethernet cable connected computer. I am switching to the open speed 150 gb next month but i do think that the 4mbps unlimited plan would make your ping more consistent or better. And do ask them to turn interleaving off so you would get lower pings but that might affect your speed.( it didn't affect mine but there is a possibility)

#14 September 9 2019

purpleradish

Cage wrote:
purpleradish wrote:

On the 2 mbps plan you get around 1.75~ mbps speed and on the 4mbps speed you get around 3.75 or something like that it never reaches 2 or 4 mbps.

And actually I do think the 4mbps plan would fix the ping a little bit. I have the 2 mbps unlimited plan now and I am not really happy since ping is inconsistent most of the times if there is someone else using the internet ( not YouTube or anything just regular usage) it be around 70 ping then suddenly jumps to around 150ms. As for watching videos and YouTube, on my 2 mbps plan I am able to watch YouTube vids at 480p without any buffers and 720p vids on my Ethernet cable connected computer. I am switching to the open speed 150 gb next month but i do think that the 4mbps unlimited plan would make your ping more consistent or better. And do ask them to turn interleaving off so you would get lower pings but that might affect your speed.( it didn't affect mine but there is a possibility)

Thanks!

What sorts of speeds can 'open speed' achieve? Will it be a significant step up from 4 Mbps? Basically, is it worth it sacrificing unlimited download for open speed?

Last edited by purpleradish (September 9 2019)

#15 September 9 2019

Cage

purpleradish wrote:
Cage wrote:
purpleradish wrote:

Thanks!

What sorts of speeds can 'open speed' achieve? Will it be a significant step up from 4 Mbps? Basically, is it worth it sacrificing unlimited download for open speed?

It would be better to contact your isp and ask them about the speed you would be able to achieve with that plan. I do know that it depends on the distance from your phone box to the central office. I live almost 1.5 km away from their central office so they told me that I should expect getting around 12mbps speed or so. My friend who had the open speed plan and lived 1km away from their central office used to get around 15 mbps. I do really think it depends on your usage really and how many members live in your household as to your question if it would be worth sacrificing the unlimited download for open speed. But then again, check with your isp on how much speed you would be able to achieve with the open speed plan. If its 5-6 mbps you know its not worth it. If its around 8-10 mbps then you should probably choose depending on your usage(plus household members' usage) cause as i know the max data plan they have for the open speed is 200Gbs which is for like 77k lbp

Last edited by Cage (September 9 2019)

#16 September 9 2019

xazbrat

purpleradish wrote:
Cage wrote:
purpleradish wrote:

Thanks!

Use Ogero's 'speedtest tool to find out or look at your modem stats.  If you max speed is going to be 8 or more (or whatever you think is worth it), then probably good idea to switch--if it is going to be something like 5,or 6,  then you may want to rethink it.

Board footer