LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#76 July 12 2019

Sab23

Re: New Phone Jomrok / Customs duty in Lebanon

xazbrat wrote:
Sab23 wrote:

My phone is still working as it is not on the ministry's list yet.

Oneplus?

Pixel

#77 July 15 2019

ivy

DNA wrote:

my friend's phones 2 of them stopped working after 90 days.
Btw the duration is 90 days when connected to a network if the phone is off or airplane mode the days dont count am not 100% sure though

They don't have OnePlus devices tho, correct?

#78 July 16 2019

Salloum

They don’t for now, but you never know what might happen later on

#79 July 21 2019

edrons

I'm not sure if this questions has already been answered, so I apologize if I'm repeating:

I live in KSA and I bought an iPhone X. I went to Lebanon few months ago for a short stay (5 days)  and I received the message that I have to pay the tax at Libanpost within 90 days.
Now I will be going to Lebanon next month also for a couple of days, so the 90 days period has passed. Does this mean I won't be able to use my phone anymore with my Lebanese SIM card ?

#80 July 21 2019

AVOlio

edrons wrote:

I'm not sure if this questions has already been answered, so I apologize if I'm repeating:

I live in KSA and I bought an iPhone X. I went to Lebanon few months ago for a short stay (5 days)  and I received the message that I have to pay the tax at Libanpost within 90 days.
Now I will be going to Lebanon next month also for a couple of days, so the 90 days period has passed. Does this mean I won't be able to use my phone anymore with my Lebanese SIM card ?

Most probably no, you won't be able to.

#81 July 22 2019

MrClass

I was in the same situation; got an iPhone XS plus. Traveled to Beirut; got the message upon inserting a new sim; 6 months later, traveled again, phone still works despite being well over the 90 days period.

Only God knows what the heck is going on

#82 July 27 2019

Sasuke

is this list available on any page, or the only way to check is through liban post?

#83 August 13 2019

hishjwnz

MrClass wrote:

I was in the same situation; got an iPhone XS plus. Traveled to Beirut; got the message upon inserting a new sim; 6 months later, traveled again, phone still works despite being well over the 90 days period.

Only God knows what the heck is going on

The text message you get from MoT specifically says that "you have 90 days of usage per year" thus you can potentially come for a  15-day trip up to 6 times a year and you'd still be fine.

I recently got a Xiaomi Mi 9 SE. I don't think it's officially available here so I will let the 90 period run and see what happens. Hoping that it will not be included in the customs list.

#84 September 3 2019

woods

Sab23 wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
Sab23 wrote:

My phone is still working as it is not on the ministry's list yet.

Oneplus?

Pixel

Can you share their updated list please? I need to see which phones brands/models are excluded from this law.

#85 September 5 2019

hkbazzi

I don't get it.

If it is on the list, does that mean I have to pay or do I not have to pay?

I have a Razer Phone 2

#86 September 5 2019

woods

hkbazzi wrote:

I don't get it.

If it is on the list, does that mean I have to pay or do I not have to pay?

I have a Razer Phone 2

Where is that list everyone is talking about; do you have the link?

Logically speaking, everything not on the list is excluded from this tax.

#87 September 5 2019

hkbazzi

I have no clue where the list is, people please help?

#88 September 6 2019

chosen2k

I don't think the list is public. You have to go to libanpost tell them I want to pay customs for my phone and they check if it is on the list or not.

#89 October 4 2019

nosense

Anyone knows how much is the customs for iphone 11 pro ?

#90 October 6 2019

Kareem

No but once thing I noticed.... I'm past the 3 months and yet the phone is still working.. ( Xperia 1 )

Out of curiosity, I moved the SIM to the 2nd slot ( dual SIM phone ) and the network considered it as a new device since it's a different IMEI. Can't lol enough.

#91 October 8 2019

bobo619

Did anyone try to change their phone IMEI to an old phone they have and not using? I am just curious if this method works as it appears that the customs are paid according to the phone's IMEI

#92 October 10 2019

LifeEngineer

I've been looking into getting the Asus ROG 2 tencent version from AliExpress. It's for around 540$ now.
I spoke to a guy who already got one and he told me that they took 155$ as Jemrok!!! That's too high for such a price!
155/540=28.7%!!!
I thought it was around 17% if I remember well.

What are your experiences guys ?! Anyone got a phone recently and went through that whole procedure? What was the Jemrok?!

#93 October 10 2019

nefe_lpmk

I got a Huawei mate 20 pro from KSA. worked for the grace period then stopped working (3G,phone calls).

I had to pay in Libanpost around 165 000, they chekc the db and estimate the price of the phone and you pay accordingly.
The girl will ask you specify your model, if the IMEI is not accurate, she asked me if it's pro or Porsche design (which is more expensive).

You should expect 140-170 000 for phones priced between 500-800$.

The limitation is by IMEI so make sure you give them sim1 and sim2 IMEI when paying (both for the amount stated above).

Last edited by nefe_lpmk (October 14 2019)

#94 October 10 2019

Xsever

Does anyone know the custom tax amount for a Samsung S10e 128GB?

#95 October 10 2019

chosen2k

LifeEngineer wrote:

I've been looking into getting the Asus ROG 2 tencent version from AliExpress. It's for around 540$ now.
I spoke to a guy who already got one and he told me that they took 155$ as Jemrok!!! That's too high for such a price!
155/540=28.7%!!!
I thought it was around 17% if I remember well.

What are your experiences guys ?! Anyone got a phone recently and went through that whole procedure? What was the Jemrok?!

Maybe they thought it was the 512 version from europe or usa?

#96 November 1 2019

Kareem

Still no charges since few months.

b909f2d1f9c09eefa4ffe995b27d4792.png

#97 November 2 2019

infiniteloop

I am tempted by the pixel 4 xl in case there are no customs

#98 November 2 2019

xazbrat

infiniteloop wrote:

I am tempted by the pixel 4 xl in case there are no customs

Although you never will know at this point in time how long it will take to receive from customs.

#99 November 2 2019

Kareem

Another update.... I got a Note10+ N9750D/S ( SD855 version) from Latin America.... Inserted SIM card, waited all day and no customs SMS received.

Curious to find out what's the deal, I sent an SMS to 1014 and surprisingly it still shows the IMEI of my Xperia 1 with the same 31 day left message.

So either the system is down or they dropped the whole idea.

#100 November 2 2019

Xsever

Kareem wrote:

Another update.... I got a Note10+ N9750D/S ( SD855 version) from Latin America.... Inserted SIM card, waited all day and no customs SMS received.

Curious to find out what's the deal, I sent an SMS to 1014 and surprisingly it still shows the IMEI of my Xperia 1 with the same 31 day left message.

So either the system is down or they dropped the whole idea.

I got an S10e from USA (Exynos version) and I inserted the sim card 3 days ago and got the SMS saying I have 90 days. Since the phone is dual sim, I will swap the sim to the other sim card slot when the 90 days expire.

Do you guys know if the custom fees will drop with time as the phone depreciates or it is based on the original price of the phone that they put in their database?

Board footer