LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 11 2019

duke-of-bytes

silent air cooling

hello
i have a wooden console under the tv where i installed a small nvr , a big ups and a ps4..when closed it heats up a lot this is why i tried to add 2 fans ( in/out ) but they are loud !!
do you have any experience with silent 120 mm fans ? i read about the NF-S12B redux-700 and they are cheap and silent ( around 12 euros each ) do you know any other good and cheap model ?
i am looking to connect it directly to a 12volts adapter ..so no led , pwm or fancy controls are needed
thank you

#2 August 11 2019

rolf

Re: silent air cooling

duke-of-bytes wrote:

do you have any experience with silent 120 mm fans ? i read about the NF-S12B redux-700 and they are cheap and silent ( around 12 euros each ) do you know any other good and cheap model ?

Lemme check, I have a 120mm fan, it is silent - I forget the brand though.
Would you be interested? If so I will look it up and give you the brand.
It is barely used and I had researched it and bought it on ebay specifically because it is quiet.
However most important is a good airflow, and fresh air intake.
These quiet type of fans do not work well when the airflow is very constricted.
So my advice is add a silent fan in the back, but figure out how to have an air intake in the front and at the bottom - drill some holes in the bottom if you have to.

I also have a couple of 120mm thermaltake fans.

Last edited by rolf (August 11 2019)

#3 August 11 2019

duke-of-bytes

rolf wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

Lemme check, I have a 120mm fan, it is silent - I forget the brand though.
Would you be interested? If so I will look it up and give you the brand.
It is barely used and I had researched it and bought it on ebay specifically because it is quiet.
However most important is a good airflow, and fresh air intake.
These quiet type of fans do not work well when the airflow is very constricted.
So my advice is add a silent fan in the back, but figure out how to have an air intake in the front and at the bottom - drill some holes in the bottom if you have to.

I also have a couple of 120mm thermaltake fans.

sure let me know the brand please !!!
i have two fans setup as in and out ..the wooden box is divided by a glass seperator .. i have a fan on each level .. i believe the upper one is the exhaust

#4 August 12 2019

MrClass

Check Noctua; they have silent and efficient fans.

#5 August 12 2019

nuclearcat

+1 for Noctua
But keep in mind silence comes with performance penalty (it is mentioned in specs, in numbers, airflow is less).

#6 August 12 2019

duke-of-bytes

nuclearcat wrote:

+1 for Noctua
But keep in mind silence comes with performance penalty (it is mentioned in specs, in numbers, airflow is less).

I dont need heavy cooling..just to help the items from.overheating especially the PS4

Board footer