LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 31 2007

7aRami

My portable hard drive is corrupted! Help!

I never thought I would be writing this someday... I have a 160GB portable hard drive that got corrupted 2 days ago, everytime I plug it into my laptop a new drive shows up but when I try to access it I get a message "drive is corrupted u have to format" w hal 2osas...
I didn't try to format or anything, I am currently searching for some software to do the recovery of my data and a friend of mine told me that using Linux would be a great help (knowing hat I do have a copy of Knoppix), so does anyone of you has any experience in this? if yes, I'll be thankful if you could share it with me to see what's the best that could be done.

Thanks in advance!

#2 January 1 2008

mir

Re: My portable hard drive is corrupted! Help!

if i was you.. kint b3ayet la my linux friend.. borrow his laptop or if u don't have any sensitive Data .. give him the External and let him test if it can read

option 2 i would do.. is download the latest ubuntu for example and set it on the laptop
it is really easy stuff.. almost done automatically.. and test things .. if they don't work.. i would have ubuntu installed by the end of the day.. it doesn't hurt

good luck finding a piece of software that will solve ur issue
and hope it doesn't turn out that ur external is really damaged

Last edited by mir (January 1 2008)

#3 January 2 2008

battikh

in this scenario i don't think linux or windows would be better, it's all a question of what file system you're using.
consider trying another enclosure
for data recovery, there is file scavenger

#4 January 2 2008

7aRami

thanks mir and battikh
I have succeeded yesterday in recovering my files using a software called RecoverMyFiles. However, the folders structure was not preserved, I will spend some time re-organizing stuff ;)
I will try scavenger today, to see if the structure will be preserved and save me some time.

#5 January 2 2008

7aRami

Battikh ya Battikh, I appreciate if you can provide me with a cracked version of scavenger
thanks in advance! :)

Last edited by 7aRami (January 2 2008)

#6 January 2 2008

7aRami

ok i'm really NOT flooding :) I have just got the latest version with its crack. if anyone wants it, i can upload it for you on my webspace.

#7 January 2 2008

mir

Glad u could steal back (recover) ur data  ya 7arami

in this scenario i don't think linux or windows would be better, it's all a question of what file system you're using.
consider trying another enclosure

battikh.. u ruined it.. i was trying to convert 7arami to the linoux side

I have just got the latest version with its crack. if anyone wants it, i can upload it for you on my webspace

Bip Bip Bip  Bip Bip Bip forbidden illegal words detected
and by the way 7arami.. u changed ur blog address ? no ! ?

Last edited by mir (January 2 2008)

#8 January 3 2008

7aRami

dun worry about linux! I already use knoppix from time to time.. rarely 
as for the blog, yes I was on wordpress.com and I recently moved to my own domain :)

#9 January 4 2008

mir

mabghuk for the new domain
checked ur blog .. yi.. 7arami.. today is the last day for the contest thing...

[offtopic]
as for using knoppix from time to time.. well u get much better performance if u install on hdd
and if u face any problem..(u won't .. trust me).. u can ask in here.. i guess u will get all the help u need
[/offtopic]

i should do some search on Data Recovery .. i never did any test on that

Last edited by mir (January 4 2008)

#10 January 6 2008

rolf

I use rstudio for data recovery, exellent software (not free, but you can get it on bittorrent). I once recovered a formatted harddrive with that (including directory structure).
Good luck

#11 January 7 2008

mir

hey.. rolf.. ur still alive ? !

queying rstudio in my dl list

#12 January 7 2008

7aRami

same here!  thanks rolf :)

Board footer