LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 13 2019

FeAr

Changing the isp keep the same ping in games?

hi i currently have dsl  from sodetel and i game at 77 ping but im thinking of changing my isp does the ping stay the same ? my cousin who live under me have dsl from mobi which im thinking to move to but his ping 90 in the same game and server but the difference is that he is still using the old phone lines in the building from more then 20 years i did change them for new external one directly from the bottom of the building so i was wondering if this is the reason for the ping difference , if anyone is a gamer and changed isps please tell me your experience with the ping.

#2 July 15 2019

Thrax

Re: Changing the isp keep the same ping in games?

Yes, the cables make all the difference in the world. Should stay the same. 77 is very decent for Lebanon though.

#3 July 16 2019

FeAr

Thrax wrote:

Yes, the cables make all the difference in the world. Should stay the same. 77 is very decent for Lebanon though.

yes but i have a bad snr margin my download speed is so low and they are not fixing it my question is since im dsl if changing the isp affect the ping?

#4 July 16 2019

Johnaudi

Ogero is known to be the ISP with the best ping.

#5 July 16 2019

Abou7meed

Guys I will give you a summary of my experience as a gamer,

I was with IDM (OS-100 GB) all modem values were great, speed is perfect but ping/latency is high
Ping on COD BO4 at XboxOne was 100/110 ms , although I was in a gaming pool where I get a real IP every time my modem sync with the server, but I am still getting high ping values
I contacted the support and we did tons of tests with no hope... they insisted on (fe she men 3andak)
I was getting 71-75 ms to (8.8.8.8) also - which you can consider it as a reference to test your connection

Last week I switched to Ogero, (same line-same modem-same filter-same cables-same building....)
I called Ogero's support and ask for low ping, they switch my account to FAST/Gaming mode or whatever they called it
The ping dropped to 65-70 ms for BO4 and to 40-42 ms as for google DNS (8.8.8.8)
These are great values and couldn't believe my eyes at first !

So if you are a gamer, go to Ogero, ask for Fast channel/gaming mode, you will have the best gaming ping until our Fiber project is completed and active in your area .

Last edited by Abou7meed (July 16 2019)

#6 July 16 2019

TigerFox

Abou7meed wrote:

I was with IDM (OS-100 GB) all modem values were great, speed is perfect but ping/latency is high
Ping on COD BO4 at XboxOne was 100/110 ms , although I was in a gaming pool where I get a real IP every time my modem sync with the server, but I am still getting high ping values
I contacted the support and we did tons of tests with no hope... they insisted on (fe she men 3andak)
I was getting 71-75 ms to (8.8.8.8) also - which you can consider it as a reference to test your connection

Last week I switched to Ogero, (same line-same modem-same filter-same cables-same building....)
I called Ogero's support and ask for low ping, they switch my account to FAST/Gaming mode or whatever they called it
The ping dropped to 65-70 ms for BO4 and to 40-42 ms as for google DNS (8.8.8.8)

So if you are a gamer, go to Ogero, ask for Fast channel/gaming mode, you will have the best gaming ping until our Fiber project is completed and active in your area .

They turned off interleaving for you. Interleaving has something to do with improving line stability , but can add up to 40 ms on latency. In general , people who live far from the central or with bad copper wire quality with high line attenuation can not turn off interleaving as it will increase packet losses and decrease line stability more than it might already be.

So , changing to different ISP wont necessarly increase/decrease the ping in games. If you want , let your cousin contact his ISP and ask them to turn off interleaving. If his pings becomes worse , it means the problem is from the cables , otherwise , everything is fine. You can ask them to turn on interleaving anytime again. (Personal experience )

#7 July 17 2019

Abou7meed

Yes you are right they turned interleaving off, but the line is still stable and the speed as is, I am approx 1.2KM away my CO (Ras Enabe3) with 13 / 14 MBps speed
before I left IDM I asked for interleaving, they said sorry we don't offer that ! They have the gaming pool thingy I talked about,
So I have no other option to switch to Ogero (Any gamer knows very well how much a 40 ms can do in any online game !! )
Maybe other ISPs don't support turning off/on interleaving too (I don't know why), so everyone must check before moving (also taking into consideration the length between you and your CO)

Anyway another bad thing I was facing with IDM, modem stop syncing and the internet turns off for 3 min, also speed drops from 13/14 MBps to 5/6 MBps every evening during peak hours (5 PM to 10 PM) - (IDM support guys as usual : its your filter/cables/modem/building/elevator/...and some weird reasons you never heard about !! maybe because its the gas far away from your modem....who knows :)  )
I even got a new modem...everything remains the same,

With Ogero speed is stable, modem never stop syncing.

BUT I lost my unlimited night traffic with IDM, hoping Ogero will get it soon as Mr Kradieh promised,

TigerFox wrote:
Abou7meed wrote:

They turned off interleaving for you. Interleaving has something to do with improving line stability , but can add up to 40 ms on latency. In general , people who live far from the central or with bad copper wire quality with high line attenuation can not turn off interleaving as it will increase packet losses and decrease line stability more than it might already be.

So , changing to different ISP wont necessarly increase/decrease the ping in games. If you want , let your cousin contact his ISP and ask them to turn off interleaving. If his pings becomes worse , it means the problem is from the cables , otherwise , everything is fine. You can ask them to turn on interleaving anytime again. (Personal experience )

Last edited by Abou7meed (July 17 2019)

#8 July 20 2019

nuclearcat

Abou7meed wrote:

BUT I lost my unlimited night traffic with IDM, hoping Ogero will get it soon as Mr Kradieh promised,

I highly doubt that will happen soon, if you take in consideration recent budget issues.

Board footer