LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 26 2019

VincentKeyboard

Jobs based on looks

Hello. I got a reply to a job offering I had applied to yesterday. I am well qualified for this job. I did it from 1999 till 2002 and then from 2008 till 2017. My last employer said he appreciated "my reasoning and execution" and I trust my qualifications.
What troubled me was that they asked for a picture and they stated that they want someone good looking which I am not. The job itself is in the financial office of a company. In such a situation, age should translate to experience and my looks shouldn't matter. I did send the HR person two pictures. His decision is going to be based on these pictures alone.
This led me to feel that I was (sorry for the term) whoring myself by sending the pictures.
I often see ads for shops asking for young presentable ladies requesting a picture along with the CV and I wonder how these young ladies deal with getting jobs based on looks alone.

I feel terrible about this especially since after I sent the picture, he only replied "god bless you".

Any thoughts?

#2 June 26 2019

duke-of-bytes

Re: Jobs based on looks

what is the job?!

#3 June 26 2019

VincentKeyboard

Working on accounting software inputting vouchers and auditing balance sheets.

#4 June 26 2019

duke-of-bytes

VincentKeyboard wrote:

Working on accounting software inputting vouchers and auditing balance sheets.

i wouldve understood importance of looks for marketing or sales job.. but accounting ? this is stupid ..

#5 June 26 2019

VincentKeyboard

Indeed. And this is an office job assisting one person in particular. The only requirements should be computer skills and I am a very well dressed person.

People say if you lose weight, you look younger. They lied. I look 10 years older than last November.

#6 June 26 2019

Joe

The basic idea is that, if they hire based on looks, they're likely not a cool company to work for. If they reject you based on this stuff, they'll be doing you a service. Honest.

#7 June 27 2019

ramkam

Interesting. It's god damn hard to find talents. When you do, the look doesn't matter much.
The reverse is true too! It's god damn hard to find well balanced companies. Don't bother with the idiots, they only bring you down with them. Enjoy

#8 June 27 2019

xterm

... I did send the HR person two pictures. His decision is going to be based on these pictures alone.

I'm sorry you went through this, I am however wondering how you know that the HR's decision is going to be solely based on what you look like. (This does not mean the slightest that it should matter in any way, I'm simply curious if it's your assessment or that's what they actually said)

I feel terrible about this especially since after I sent the picture, he only replied "god bless you".

I'm not sure this has any meaning.

-

Did you hear anything from the HR after you applied/sent pictures?

#9 June 27 2019

potato

Looks shouldnt matter at all. Since you are a woman, the one who sent a request for your picture shouldve stated the reason or you couldve asked him since you have the right not to send and decline. All i say is that this company and their hr are creepy.

#10 June 27 2019

VincentKeyboard

@potato. I am not a woman. I only mentioned sales ladies but this experience made me sympathize with how they are categorized by their looks.

@xterm. No, I have not heard from them again. Yes, it is an assessment based on him asking for a picture for an office job that hardly requires more than computer skills and accounting experience. He was supposed to set an interview but he went quiet after seeing the pictures. And I was pretty well dressed in those pictures with short trimmed hair and everything.

#11 June 28 2019

rolf

A while ago I applied for a flight attendant job with a big airline. Many of the candidates that were selected were not particularly good looking.
Looks should be very low in the list of priorities. If it is not the case then you better stay away from such people.
Maybe they had another candidate and they were trying to discriminate based on looks or age.
I do not like it when they ask for a picture and I try to stay stay away from such jobs.

Last edited by rolf (June 28 2019)

#12 June 28 2019

Hybrid

Unfortunately, there are many many private companies that hire females based on looks instead of skills. I've heard so many stories from different people and I even witnessed couple of situations.

#13 June 28 2019

rolf

Not only private companies, sadly:

20180714_MAP003_0.jpg

#14 July 2 2019

vlatkozelka

rolf wrote:

Are you complaining?!

Now jokes asides, this is ridiculous. I thought software companies wanting engineers that also have social skills was bad enough, now we also have to look good?

Well good thing I can still make it through haha.

Like others have said, you probably avoided a bullet

#15 July 4 2019

Salloum

Maybe it’s only to make sure you aren’t disabled for whatever reason. In any case, I wouldn’t want to work with such a company.

Board footer