LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 19 2019

TigerFox

Is there an app to cap my bandwith speed ?

Sometimes I don't want to use my full bandwith speed when downloading or streaming a video because it will totally screw up the ping , but I have an ADSL router , so I can't restrict it from my phone directly. Is there any app thats help with this ?

#2 June 19 2019

anayman_k7

Re: Is there an app to cap my bandwith speed ?

NetLimiter

Edit: This app is for PC, I did not understand well if you need it on PC or Mobile

Last edited by anayman_k7 (June 19 2019)

#3 June 19 2019

bobo619

There is no way you can limit your bandwidth for the whole network if your modem/router does not support any kind of qos etc.. only the device you are using can be limited. My advise is to buy a cheap 25 $ tplink that supports qos and connect it the modem and disable wireless radio on your non qos modem.

Last edited by bobo619 (June 19 2019)

#4 June 19 2019

TigerFox

anayman_k7 wrote:

NetLimiter

Edit: This app is for PC, I did not understand well if you need it on PC or Mobile

Sorry , I meant for phone , Android.

bobo619 wrote:

There is no way you can limit your bandwidth for the whole network if your modem/router does not support any kind of qos etc.. only the device you are using can be limited. My advise is to buy a cheap 25 $ tplink that supports qos and connect it the modem and disable wireless radio on your non qos modem.

Yes , I don't want to limit it for everyone , just on my phone. Does connection the router supporting qos to the modem affect ping whatsoever ? I can try that but if there is an app it would be much better

#5 June 20 2019

xazbrat

There are some apps out there, but I think almost all of them require root access or they don't work properly.   You could either get a router which supports throttling or could limit what your phone can access and keep it on 3g/4g and then turn it on when you aren't using your connection for gaming or whatever.

I used to have a tenda router which was pretty good as bandwidth management---iirc, it cost around 50000 LL.and you could limit bandwidth by either IP address or MAC address.

#6 June 20 2019

VincentKeyboard

You can assign your phone a static ip address (for example, 192.168.1.123) using your wifi router and use the QoS settings on the router to limit only the IP range you want to control.
If you always use the same set of devices, it's a good idea anyway on the long run to bind MAC addresses to static IPs to ease management.

#7 June 20 2019

elserge82

If you have a desktop that you are not using . It can be useful for a software defined routing.
Or you can use a router that support traffic limiting.
I have a load balancer for sale that can do that including traffic limiting based on time and schedule.

#8 June 20 2019

VincentKeyboard

You can easily create a router using a machine running Linux with iptables and tc. There are plenty of guides out there.
You'll need two network interfaces. call them ispnet0 (the incoming internet connection) and mylan0 (the outgoing local area network).

#9 June 20 2019

TigerFox

Wow there are really a few other ways to do that , never knew. I am too lazy for that right now , best I can do is connect the modem to a qos supported router

Thanks for the input guys , I'll check again on those recommendations later when I am not really lazy :$

#10 June 21 2019

nefe_lpmk

Get an Asus mid/high-end router it has QOS and BW limitation features built in.

#11 June 29 2019

boudz

Buy this Adsl Tenda router from aliexpress it has an option to limit the bandwidth i tried and worked
US $28.49  26%OFF | Tenda D305 wireless router ADSL2+Modem router WIFI Router English Firmware 300M WIFI Router with USB 2.0 Port
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b1Lj0oQG

Board footer