LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 24 2019

rolf

Disposal / recycling of e-waste

Hello people,

Electronic devices (phones, computers, batteries) are particularly toxic to the environment when disposed in landfills or burned. Batteries are dangerous and can explode, especially latest high-capacity Li-Ion batteries.

ECOSERV للاستدامة البيئيّة is a non-profit organization. On their site, you can find a map of dropzones where you can drop off old electronics or accessories for proper recycling and disposal.

If you find that information on their map is lacking or outdated, you can always call them (like I did) and they will help you find a drop point near you:  (+961) 09 915399

Last edited by rolf (May 24 2019)

#2 May 25 2019

eWizzard

Re: Disposal / recycling of e-waste

This is good to know. Just a few days ago I was wondering if any local company has any interest in collecting e-waste, because I sure do have some decrepit hardware and cabling that I need to get rid of.

#3 May 25 2019

Toufic

Thanks for the share.

Not long ago i put a bunch of old electronics aside for recycling but had no idea where/who can do it.

You should share this on multiple platform.

#4 May 28 2019

Jerome

Be sure to checkout this page for a list of recycling centers (waste type and phone numbers are there):
https://www.lebtivity.com/p/recycling-lebanon

ECOSERV aren't in the list, they should look to get their name added.

#5 May 29 2019

rolf

Note that the content on the Lebtivity page is 3 years old, some of the numbers and internet addresses are not valid anymore. (but others are still active).

Thank you for this link.

If anyone is looking to recycle other products, I have also written a short page myself for keeping track of recycling options, which may be useful - it is good enough for me anyway.
https://rolfen.github.io/tech-journal/e … banon.html

What I do normally for other types of waste is I go to Sassine and they have bins - I have been doing this for more than a year. In the page in the link above there are also other locations.

For clothes I know a person who takes these donations.

Thank you for everyone who tries to recycle, making the country and the planet a better place!

Last edited by rolf (May 29 2019)

#6 June 2 2019

Jerome

This is great! Thanks.

Do you know a place that does free pickups? Something large scale, for companies.

#7 June 2 2019

rolf

Jerome wrote:

This is great! Thanks.

Do you know a place that does free pickups? Something large scale, for companies.

You are welcome!

Arc en ciel do this for plastic and paper. I guess it also depends where you are located - give them a call.

There were other projects for picking up recyclables, including an app, but I am not up-to-date on these.

Last edited by rolf (June 2 2019)

Board footer