LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 29 2019

mmk92

Open Box Sellers on OLX

I noticed a recent influx of sellers on OLX that sell open-box tech items.
These items range from gaming gear to routers to sometimes things like shavers.

I've asked one of them before and he shared with me that he buys from Danish stores that get rid of their display units.

It's weird that all these sellers have recently surfaced and they seem to be dealing with a unified source (since they all seem to have the same products). Furthermore, their prices sometimes are well below market price.

Who could be their provider? And would you guys think the items have been legitimately acquired?

#2 May 29 2019

nefe_lpmk

Re: Open Box Sellers on OLX

I would like to also have some information about that if anyone has.

They are selling Logitech units, mouses and many gaming focused brands for the fraction of the price.

From my experience, I tried purchasing from one of them a Logitech speaker, the unit was 20% the market price, seller was located in Beirut and has a small shop/house, he delivered the Logitech open boxed + looked used. When I started using it , I noticed a problem and contacted him, and he refunded me.

The items seems like refurbished or returned, this business seems fishy and weird. Specially that the products are known brands with fraction of the price.

#3 May 29 2019

mmk92

They're not necessarily broken. I've heard testimonies from people I've met that have bought from them and got items in great condition that have lasted them for well over a year.

This kind of business seems very sketchy. However, if it turns out to be ethical, I'm all for recycled products for a bargain.

#4 May 29 2019

nefe_lpmk

mmk92 wrote:

They're not necessarily broken. I've heard testimonies from people I've met that have bought from them and got items in great condition that have lasted them for well over a year.

This kind of business seems very sketchy. However, if it turns out to be ethical, I'm all for recycled products for a bargain.

Yes, I am not saying that all the products are broken. But in my opinion, they are returned, refurbished, cosmetic damage... so the % of having problems is higher than usual.

#5 May 29 2019

DNA

Their items are not show units they are customer returns sometimes faulty sometimes not

#6 May 29 2019

AVOlio

Can someone share an example of these products?

#7 May 29 2019

Elitism Guru

I've had the opposite experience, selling something that works as new only when the buyer complains about a design defect which should be directed to the manufacture. Last time someone threatened to sue me for a low backlight and audio cheap brand new laptop which is part of its design according to all reviews. I'm not a company to guarantee you anything, unless the packaging or the device is broken by me.

Last edited by Elitism Guru (May 29 2019)

#8 May 30 2019

Salloum

Since it’s open box, it’s easy to test out.

#9 May 31 2019

vengeance666

A seller I know here is open about the items are either used (good condition), barely used or stocks (new with faulty packaging or missing items from the package like those weight metal things that some gaming mice have ). Me and my friends always buy from there and are very satisfied. For example I got myself a Logitech G410 mechanical keyboard, Roccat Tyon gaming mouse and a HyperX gaming headset 2 years ago, they still work like a charm till this day with absolutely 0 issues. The keyboard had a torn package but extremely clean condition, the mouse was in the wrong box (came in a Roccat Kone XTD box) and the headset I haven't noticed anything with that one. The 3 of them costed me 100$, the headset alone would be usually around 130$ if bought new from a retailer.

#10 May 31 2019

mmk92

Just like vengeance666 said, they're relatively high-end tech gear.

It could range from mice, keyboards, headsets, screens, routers, racing wheels, PC accessories, motherboards...etc from decent brands like Logitech, HyperX, Coolermaster, Arctis, J-bird and more.

#11 May 31 2019

vlatkozelka

I bought 3 items from such sellers on OLX, and all were good plus the experience wasn't bad at all
They allowed me to test everything and one of the items I was able to replace with no defensiveness from their side.
So no complaints from me :)

#12 May 31 2019

nosense

vengeance666 wrote:

A seller I know here is open about the items are either used (good condition), barely used or stocks (new with faulty packaging or missing items from the package like those weight metal things that some gaming mice have ). Me and my friends always buy from there and are very satisfied. For example I got myself a Logitech G410 mechanical keyboard, Roccat Tyon gaming mouse and a HyperX gaming headset 2 years ago, they still work like a charm till this day with absolutely 0 issues. The keyboard had a torn package but extremely clean condition, the mouse was in the wrong box (came in a Roccat Kone XTD box) and the headset I haven't noticed anything with that one. The 3 of them costed me 100$, the headset alone would be usually around 130$ if bought new from a retailer.

can you give us his contact details ? is it a physical shop ?

#13 May 31 2019

vengeance666

nosense wrote:
vengeance666 wrote:

can you give us his contact details ? is it a physical shop ?

Sadly I don't have a phone number, I can try and get it for you today (I'll edit the post if I do). It's a physical shop located in Ferzol Bekaa (Just near Zahle). It's directly on the Ferzol highway, big shop with a huge LG logo. He is an LG reseller or something known by the name "Mrad", everyone knows him if you get lost just ask around.

EDIT: That was quick lol. I'll PM you the number, I don't think it's a good idea to post a phone number publicly here.

Last edited by vengeance666 (May 31 2019)

#14 June 1 2019

NuclearVision

europe has a 14 days return policy, and people tend to abuse it, stores end up with huge amounts of return items that are not necessarily used, probably a lebanese found out about this surplus they have and decided to make a business out of it, nothing sketchy in my opinion, unless you get a faulty item and they refuse to replace/refund

Board footer