LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 28 2019

HzSamer

Any video editors here?

Hello everyone

My name is Samer. I am an electronics and communication engineer but I am working in the video content creation.

I am looking for video editors to know how they deal with the internet here in Lebanon especially in Upload speed.

I am working with large files, some times 10gb per file upload/download. The options for the internet in my situation are:

1- ADSL: which is not practical, only 1Mbps upload speed, VDSL is not supported where I live and the download/upload cap is limited. Also, I can't get a phone line under my name because I am Syrian. I tried with Ogero and they refuse.

2- Microwave from Terranet or something else: I will pay around 156$ for 8Mbps Download/Upload "which is too much" and 200$ fees for the equipments, they told me there is no FUP and some people said that there is FUP, so I don't know who said the truth.

I am using a wifi internet connection from a distributor in my area. I pay 50$ for 4mbps Download/Upload and 5GB per day only " which will make me go crazy soon " and after the 5GB the download speed will be 1Mbps. The positive side from this internet is that I get 40~50Mbps download/upload between 1 AM and 9 AM " I don't know how and what happens " so I can download whatever I want but after 12 PM the internet will be not usable.

I don't want to live like an owl and work at night, I got tired from this routine.

Also, going to coworking space will cost me some $$, transportation expenses, a lot of lost time and I love to work from my home.

I start thinking of leaving the freelance work and try to find a real job just to avoid these hassles. I suffered a lot from the Intenet in the last 7 years when I was in Syria but I don't want to give up after these years. First, it is not allowed to work in Lebanon and second I don't think I will find a job.

If there any suggestion or someone working in this field I will I appreciate his participation.

#2 May 29 2019

rolf

Re: Any video editors here?

Photographer here.

I have up to 1TB of photos, I would like to have a cloud backup, but I have not figured out a satisfactory solution - so I just backup on dual hard drives.

When I was in Europe, I uploaded 300GB of photos to a cloud backup within a couple of days (mostly at night, I think). It was painless and I did not feel any negative consequences.

Anyway, I will try to give you practical advice:
- HDSL from Ogero should be a stable symmetrical connection
- Why do you upload 10GB files? Do all the editing locally, upload the final product compressed to youtube or wherever.
- If someone lives abroad with a good connection you can send the files on an external drive (if someone is traveling)

As for a long term solution - I had a friend in Montreal and he had a DSL connection with a stable 400-500KB/s download - in 2004.

So either we people get together take control and change the situation. And the first step is to see and say the truth, which is we don't have internet in Lebanon, and we don't have electricity nor do we have transport infrastructure.

Or you move to another country, or you stay and try to live with the unacceptable level of service.

By the way, hi Samer, welcome and I hope that I am being helpful.

Last edited by rolf (May 29 2019)

#3 May 29 2019

rolf

Some more practical advice:

If you want to max out speeds maybe you can get multiple connections and use Speedify.
You can schedule your big uploads and downlads so you can work during the day and got to sleep and let them be downloaded or uploaded while you sleep.

For torrents, use a seedbox, or use a VPS. You can get a VPS in a country with internet like France for example (usually the fastest option for Lebanon), then remote control it (VNC) using a 4G connection, and download whatever you want on your VPS, then during the night you go to sleep and set up automatic transfer for all you downloaded on your VPS to your local computer.

Also another idea, maybe have a look at any international contests you can participate in - regarding your work situation.

Last edited by rolf (May 29 2019)

#4 May 29 2019

NuclearVision

I am still amazed how it is almost 2020 and we don't have free dish-style internet.

#5 May 29 2019

Elitism Guru

Annex M from Terranet gives you 3mbps upload, I used to be able to do 2.5mbit, now that doesn't sound much but remember it's twice the speed and it was significant for my work back then.
10 gig upload would be around 7-8 hours, compared to 1mbit which takes 20-25 hours. I recommend using SQM or any QoS to prevent bufferbloat on ADSL, so the internet can be usable while uploading, also concurrent connections will all have even stream bitrate immediately (on SQM). Gaming routers often offer this feature that automatically adjust. On LEDE SQM router, I was able to game while both uploading and downloading in saturation, webpages load immediately but pictures would take a bit longer, compared to direct connection in which the latency to Google is 600+ ms, let alone having a page with multiple sources (fonts, pics server, DNS calls). Even the browser receives HTTP cache response immediately which shows no difference on load and no load on most frequently used or cached sites, VoIP and IM are not impacted as well. Note that this is mostly related to ADSL. Fiber, microwave and mobile data do not have this issue most of the times afaik.

Last edited by Elitism Guru (May 29 2019)

#6 May 29 2019

rolf

Yes, Qos makes a difference when you try to upload and download at the same time. A little part of upload capacity must be reserved for TCP ACK packets, hopefully some routers do this automatically.

Board footer