LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 27 2019

TigerFox

Can I have DSL without a phone ?

Ogero came today and installed for me a phone line. I have a TP-Link router that comes with a filter and it looks like I can connect the phone line to the filter , and connect an ethernet cable from the filter to the router without needing to connect a phone device to the filter ? Does that work ?

Edit: Also , does using the router wirelessly affect ping in any way than connecting my laptop to it with a LAN cable ? For my knowledge , it doesn't , but just to be reassured

Last edited by TigerFox (May 27 2019)

#2 May 27 2019

Aly

Re: Can I have DSL without a phone ?

You’re asking if you can run DSL in your house without having a single handset installed ? Yes of course you can as long as you are subscribed to a DSL service from Ogero or any other private isp.

#3 May 27 2019

Hybrid

I don't have a handset at home, the internet works fine.

#4 May 27 2019

xazbrat

You just need a phone line--you don't actually need to use the phone.    Also, if you don't have any phones connected in your house, there is no need for a filter.  A direct connection is going to be best given the quality of filters in this country.

#5 May 27 2019

TigerFox

Thank you guys. I asked in case the hand set is needed to "activate" the line. I thought Ogero might make something like this mandatory just for extra prices :$ So I have the cable now , should I "zallet" the cable and attach it to an Ehternet cable to the router ? Does my router have to get activated or something ?

I did apply for DSL along with the  landline application a week ago and I know how to setup the router.

Last edited by TigerFox (May 27 2019)

#6 May 27 2019

Aly

TigerFox wrote:

Thank you guys. I asked in case the hand set is needed to "activate" the line. I thought Ogero might make something like this mandatory just for extra prices :$ So I have the cable now , should I "zallet" the cable and attach it to an Ehternet cable to the router ? Does my router have to get activated or something ?

I did apply for DSL along with the  landline application a week ago and I know how to setup the router.

Nope mate, no “Tozlit” is included in the process, i think you got it wrong, in addition you cant just connect the router and expect it to work, some things should be done by ogero first in the central office and then they will issue an L number for you etc ...
There is a process to be done before you can use your dsl.

#7 May 27 2019

TigerFox

Aly wrote:
TigerFox wrote:

Nope mate, no “Tozlit” is included in the process, i think you got it wrong, in addition you cant just connect the router and expect it to work, some things should be done by ogero first in the central office and then they will issue an L number for you etc ...

No wait. I don't have any socket in the wall , so the phone line will not be connected to anything like that. In order to connect it to the filter , I will have to cut an ethernet cable and attach it to the phone line in order for it to connect to the filter. Isn't that right ? How am I supposed to connect the phone line to the filter or router directly without a wall socket ?

#8 May 28 2019

Aly

TigerFox wrote:
Aly wrote:
TigerFox wrote:

No wait. I don't have any socket in the wall , so the phone line will not be connected to anything like that. In order to connect it to the filter , I will have to cut an ethernet cable and attach it to the phone line in order for it to connect to the filter. Isn't that right ? How am I supposed to connect the phone line to the filter or router directly without a wall socket ?

You can do it this way, but this is not the best practice, I advise you to get an RJ11 socket like this:
https://www.vimar.com/en/int/catalog/pr … e/14320.AB
and properly terminate the phone line using this socket, then you connect the filter to it and afterward the modem to the filter.
The model provided in the link is a Plana Vimar (made in Italy) and widely available in the Lebanese market, you can get other brands like Bticino or Legrand but it will cost you a little bit more.

#9 May 28 2019

Hybrid

You don't need a filter if you won't call anyone and no one will ever call you

#10 May 28 2019

TigerFox

Thanks Aly , it seems the optimal way.

Hybrid wrote:

But I wont have internet access immediately as Aly mentioned. I understood it is possible to connect the cable directly to the router without a filter , but I still have to call them to activate my router or something

#11 May 28 2019

Hybrid

TigerFox wrote:

Hybrid wrote:

But I wont have internet access immediately as Aly mentioned. I understood it is possible to connect the cable directly to the router without a filter , but I still have to call them to activate my router or something

Of course the DSL should be activated from Ogero's end. Also, as far as I know you have to give them your router by hand in order for them to set it up, or they will give you a new one if you paid for it when you subscribed.

#12 May 28 2019

TigerFox

Hybrid wrote:
TigerFox wrote:

Hybrid wrote:

Of course the DSL should be activated from Ogero's end. Also, as far as I know you have to give them your router by hand in order for them to set it up, or they will give you a new one if you paid for it when you subscribed.

I got a new one from them when I subscribed for the DSL , he took the router out of the box if I remember correctly and scanned it , and the guy told me nothing but marked the password on the router and told me to use this to connect to it. So I guess internet should be available right away when I connect it with the cable ?

Edit: It takes a while for Ogero to come and fix something in your house , they came 2 days ago after a week of constantly calling them , otherwise they wouldn't come in such a short time. If I can find support online it would save much more hassle and time

Last edited by TigerFox (May 28 2019)

#13 May 29 2019

xazbrat

Before you go nuts, confirm that ogero has actually activated your phone line (check their website or call).  And if you don't see a phone jack anywhere, it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have a wire going down to the telephone box--it may just mean that you need to install a phone jack somewhere (as mentioned, direct connection not best solution).  If you aren't happy with the connection, then go downstairs and check your stats on a direct connection down in the telephone box and go from there.  If it is the same, then not much you can do--if it is markedly different, then go nuts with the 'tazleet', but make sure you land you make an outlet/jack.  It will make things easier going forward.

And if you don't have a phone installed on your line, there is no need for a filter.

Board footer