LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 5 2018

nefe_lpmk

My PC build after 10 years

I have been using my PC for almost 10 years, and I decided it's time to put do the investment and purchase a new rig.
I have been designing and researching what are the best equipment to buy and came up wit the following list.

I am gonna purchase the components from Lebanese market mainly + have some access to ship from Paris.
I would like your opinion about the build and deals/shops to get better prices is appreciated.

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900k   ($550 - Trying to get someone to ship it to me from USA)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 (177$ - PcandParts)
Motherboard: Gigabyte aorus pro ($240 - amazon.fr or Local)
Memory: G.Skill -  16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory CL14  ($240 - Trying to get someone to ship it to me from USA)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB NVME  (140$ - Amazon France)
Storage:   2TB Western Digital Blue edition (already purchased)
Video Card: Zotac 2080ti AMP VS Zotac 2080ti VS Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti RoG (1350-1450$ Lebanon)
Case: NZXT - H700i Mid Tower Case  (210$ - PcandParts)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold  (115$ - Ayoubcomputers)
Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q VS ViewSonic XG2703-GS   (1000$ - Lebanon Market, still looking)

Total: ~4000$

#2 November 5 2018

wollyka

Re: My PC build after 10 years

Hi
Nice rig. However, if i were you I will increase the RAM to 32 GB. A lot of games require now 16 GB and it seems that you don't upgrade much so 32 GB will be more future proof.

#3 November 6 2018

Aly

Nice rig indeed, i say better buy the PSU now and put it aside until you have all your parts bought, before it gets out of stock, i personally always struggled with decent PSU availability in Lebanon, it is either all shops have stock or all of them are out of stock at a given time (or maybe just my luck)
And by the way i think someone mentionned in this forum that the Asus 2080ti is for 1600$ and not 1450$, maybe you mean the MSI 2080ti for that price.

Last edited by Aly (November 6 2018)

#4 November 6 2018

nefe_lpmk

wollyka wrote:

Hi
Nice rig. However, if i were you I will increase the RAM to 32 GB. A lot of games require now 16 GB and it seems that you don't upgrade much so 32 GB will be more future proof.

Hello, I checked online no game if run solo ever reaches 16 GB.
I wanted to get the 32, but with current RAM prices, it costs 500$ for the 3200 CL14.
It's a compromise I had to make :/

#5 November 6 2018

nefe_lpmk

Aly wrote:

Nice rig indeed, i say better buy the PSU now and put it aside until you have all your parts bought, before it gets out of stock, i personally always struggled with decent PSU availability in Lebanon, it is either all shops have stock or all of them are out of stock at a given time (or maybe just my luck)
And by the way i think someone mentionned in this forum that the Asus 2080ti is for 1600$ and not 1450$, maybe you mean the MSI 2080ti for that price.

I will indeed buy it now and put it aside, thank you for the tip.

#6 November 6 2018

Kazouza

nefe_lpmk wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Hi

I wanted to get the 32, but with current RAM prices, it costs 500$ for the 3200 CL14.

RAM prices are going down. What was around 170-190€ (France) a month ago, is now around 140-160€.

Other than that, badass build, best of luck!

#7 November 6 2018

wollyka

nefe_lpmk wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Hi

True, however some games recommend more than 8 GB, e.g. Batman: Arkham Knight recommends 12 GB under Windows 10 (ok it is bad port), Quantum break too (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/quant … rementstab).
Also if you like to mod your games and using reshade, the extra memory will become handy.
Sure no game now requires 16 GB, but in five years who knows?? Plus i use the extra RAM as a RAM disc sometimes. Also, if you are like me and use VMs, the extra RAM will pay in the end.

Also, RAM prices are going down, they are expected to decrease by a further 10% at the beginning of 2019.

If you use your rig only for gaming, 16 GB is fine. You can always add more in the future if needed.

Last edited by wollyka (November 6 2018)

#8 November 6 2018

Tech Guru

nefe_lpmk wrote:

I have been using my PC for almost 10 years, and I decided it's time to put do the investment and purchase a new rig.
I have been designing and researching what are the best equipment to buy and came up wit the following list.

I am gonna purchase the components from Lebanese market mainly + have some access to ship from Paris.
I would like your opinion about the build and deals/shops to get better prices is appreciated.

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900k   ($550 - Trying to get someone to ship it to me from USA)
Memory: G.Skill -  16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory CL14  ($240 - Trying to get someone to ship it to me from USA)
Video Card: Zotac 2080ti AMP VS Zotac 2080ti VS Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti RoG (1350-1450$ Lebanon)
Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q VS ViewSonic XG2703-GS   (1000$ - Lebanon Market, still looking)

I suspect the ROG Strix 2080ti  will be 1400 USD TTC here ;  it is not released in the MENA region yet (only specific markets like USA /UK)

MEIT will ask ~ 1700 TTC  USD for the strix ( DUAL now for 1600 USD as they told  -with no set ETA for the RTX 2080ti Strix-  (MEIT is the official Asus products importer and distributor in Lebanon)

As such I am getting the I9 9900K and RTX 2080Ti Strix O11G from the UK put in  the luggage with some one ( 20% VAT in the UK is retrievable. Still highly than anticipated demand on the Strix (and all RTX 2080tis in general) and the stocks are being delepted very fast, and a similar story with i9 9900k

i9 9900K

Preordered from ( with a Free Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Digital Copy)

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/9th … n=PriceSpy

RTX 2080ti Strix 011G preordered from Amazon UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi … ROKL5A1OLE

It net me up (with rate exchange and 20% Vat deductible)

1414 USD for the Strix and 654 USD  for the i9 9900k

Baware there are three variants of the Strix

11G , A11G (Advance Ed.) and O11G. The O11G has the highest boost clock.

Last edited by Tech Guru (November 7 2018)

#9 November 6 2018

ManOwaRR

Msi Gaming Trio 2080TI Was Delayed By 2-3 Weeks   dealer words   , was  expecting    it to arrive this week , i guess i'am gonna skip the 2000 series  it's really really hard to find one and the performance isn't all that good for this high demand ..... Oh Well

Last edited by ManOwaRR (November 6 2018)

#10 November 6 2018

Tech Guru

ManOwaRR wrote:

Msi Gaming Trio 2080TI Was Delayed By 2-3 Weeks   dealer words   , was  expecting    it to arrive this week , i guess i'am gonna skip the 2000 series  it's really really hard to find one and the performance isn't all that good for this high demand ..... Oh Well

Trio has been available here @PC&Parts since two weeks.

kCwFsin.jpg

Currently unavailable now and they restock it in 10 days due time.

For a new builder definitely he needs to go with the highest performance a graphic card can offer , and RTX 2080ti is a smart choice.

For Example

1080ti vs 2080

buying old tech when there is a new one, even if the performance is quite similar, is a bad investment.

unless you are the "my modded 980ti beat the crap out of your 1070 with just 2x the power consumption"-kind of guy 2 years ago.

just give any new archiecture some time , and based on traditional rasterization the

2070 beats the 1080
2080 beats the 1080ti
2080ti is the 4k 60fps king

Gap will increase with more drivers along the road aside to better HDR latency performance that Pascal is awful at. Finally yes the 300 series is coming , but who knows when ? Waiting is pain in the ...  go with what technology offers you in thr #present moment.

Last edited by Tech Guru (November 7 2018)

#11 November 8 2018

nefe_lpmk

What do you think between the following two AIO coolers for the 9900k:

NZXT Kraken X62 280mm (177$ - PcandParts)
OR
Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm  (140$)

#12 November 8 2018

Tech Guru

nefe_lpmk wrote:

What do you think between the following two AIO coolers for the 9900k:

NZXT Kraken X62 280mm (177$ - PcandParts)
OR
Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm  (140$)

NZXT Sure , more durable . They match Corsair AIOs in term of durability

#13 November 16 2018

MIchelHayek

nefe_lpmk wrote:

Hey,
hyperx predator rgb ram 2x8  3600mhz. 206$ from macrotronics

#14 April 22 2019

AVOlio

What did you end up getting @nefe_lpmk ?

#15 May 10 2019

AVOlio

Bump! @nefe_lpmk

#16 May 25 2019

nefe_lpmk

AVOlio wrote:

What did you end up getting @nefe_lpmk ?

Hello AVOlio, Sorry for late reply my man.

I got and built everything, it was a long process and even had to RMA the GPU as it turns out to be one of the faulty 2080ti cards; kudos to P&P for acting quickly and replacing it with no hassle.

I might have overspent on this machine, but seeing how much I am satisfied with it and how much I am using it for Reading,Audio production/listening, working, movie watching and gaming, I think it is returning the investment.

Here is what I got:

I9-9900k (540$) - From USA
G.SKill Trident Z 32GB 3200Mhz (420$) - From USA
Zotac 2080 ti AMP edition (1350$) - From P&P
Gigabyte Aorus ULTRA Z390 (238.62$) - From USA
Samsung 970 EVO NVME 500 Go (140$) - From Paris
Western Digital Black edition 2TB + Blue edition 4TB (300$) - From P&P
Seasonic Focus + - 850W (120$) - From Ayoub
NZXT Kraken X62 (180$) - From P&P
NZXT H700i (209$) - From P&P
Viewsonic XG2703-GS (1000$) - From viewsonic lebanon
Nobechairs Hero Germany made chair with back support (480$) - From P&P
Mouse G502 Hero (100$) - From Paris
Sennheiser HD600 studio headphones (~400$) - From Paris
Logitech 5.1 z906 with custom mods (250$) - from OLX
Logitech MX Anywhere 2S (75$) - From USA
Keyboard Aivia Osmium (kept mine) - still great mechanical keyboard from previous PC

Here is some pictures of the build:

image PC 1
image PC 2
image PC 3
image PC 4
image PC 5

Last edited by nefe_lpmk (May 25 2019)

#17 May 26 2019

AVOlio

Oh man, those are some exquisite parts and an amazing build.

But that monitor though,
I was blindly focused to get the PG279Q that I didn't even think to look if there are other brands selling a monitor with the same specs!
So due to the unavailability of the PG279Q, I went for the Ultra wide PG348Q. Ultra wide is amazing, 100Hz is a plus from my 90Hz previous monitor and Gsync makes a big difference.
I just wanted to try and game on a 144+ Hz 1440p monitor, and I really still do.

For the cooler, first I got a cougar helor 360.
It was working fine, temps were good, but suddenly the rgb lights stopped working turned out that the controller box stopped working, got a refund on it from mojitech and went and bought the TT Ring Floe RGB Premium edition 360.
Now I don't know why, but temps with this cooler are worse, idle temps for 9900k @4.8-5Ghz are at 45-50 degrees.
Maybe I applied the thermal paste wrong, I really don't know.
This is on my mind bothering me now, I'm not happy with the cooler, maybe it's form the cooler, maybe it's from my installation.

Anyway very nice build again.
I will post an update on my rig plus some pictures in the post that I created.
By the way, I have the same keyboard, for like 6-7 years now lol
I had the osmium mouse also, but it died, even the replacement of it by pcap.

#18 May 26 2019

bobo619

AVOlio wrote:

But that monitor though,
I was blindly focused to get the PG279Q that I didn't even think to look if there are other brands selling a monitor with the same specs!
So due to the unavailability of the PG279Q, I went for the Ultra wide PG348Q. Ultra wide is amazing, 100Hz is a plus from my 90Hz previous monitor and Gsync makes a big difference.
I just wanted to try and game on a 144+ Hz 1440p monitor, and I really still do.

It was working fine, temps were good, but suddenly the rgb lights stopped working turned out that the controller box stopped working, got a refund on it from mojitech and went and bought the TT Ring Floe RGB Premium edition 360.
Now I don't know why, but temps with this cooler are worse, idle temps for 9900k @4.8-5Ghz are at 45-50 degrees.
This is on my mind bothering me now, I'm not happy with the cooler, maybe it's form the cooler, maybe it's from my installation.

What voltage are you running 5GHz on all cores? After looking on their websites i see the cougar has slightly faster fans 1800rpm vs 1400rpm and Max pressure 2.4mmH2o vs 1.54mmH2o. This is a signficant difference in pump pressure and explains why you have higher temps on the TT.

Last edited by bobo619 (May 26 2019)

#19 May 26 2019

AVOlio

The fans do go up to 1600rpm actually.
The pump at 1800rpm.
I ordered Arctic mx-4 paste, I will reapply the paste with arctic.
The TT one came with its own paste, first when I installed it, I ran the cpu a bit on its default paste to see the performance, then I removed it and applied a cooler master paste that I have now.
Although it was really hard to remove the default paste after the cpu ran on it, since it was really dry at first(as all preapplied paste of most coolers) , and with the heat of the cpu, it became hard to remove, with still some blackish marks on the copper waterblock, they didn't go away even with alcohol.
Im wondering if that has to do with anything, or maybe my installation and the paste appliance.

Once I receive the thermal paste, I'll ask a friend of mine to come and have a look, cause I really need someones hands on opinion about the entire build, and installation of the cooler.

#20 May 26 2019

nefe_lpmk

AVOlio wrote:

But that monitor though,

I was making a choice between an ultra-wide monitor and a 27inch, I decided to go with the 27 as it is more of a jack-of-all-trades where you can do multiple things on it. However I am a bit curious about ultra-wides and curved monitors experience. Maybe next upgrade.

I am running normal 35 degrees on CPU and 60-70ish under heavy load (most cores to 5Ghz) on the Noctua. Make sure all your case fans are running well and that your cooler is properly screwed (all the way) unto the CPU. Check numbers online for similar hardware, if you are far off, maybe re-apply the paste or get a better paste.

I am pretty satisfied with the Noctua however, it was a pain to install, as it requires usb 2.0 headers (+case required one) which forced me into upgrading the board. Note that some 280 coolers have better performance than 360, however 360 can sustain for longer.

#21 May 26 2019

AVOlio

nefe_lpmk wrote:

Maybe next upgrade.

That's in like 10 years right? lol

nefe_lpmk wrote:

I am running normal 35 degrees on CPU and 60-70ish under heavy load (most cores to 5Ghz) on the Noctua.

You mean NZXT Cooler? Or you have a noctua cooler now?

nefe_lpmk wrote:

However I am a bit curious about ultra-wides and curved monitors experience.

Hey, about the monitors, if you're up for it, maybe we can make a switch for a few days and enjoy both worlds.
Or we can plan simply to visit each other if moving the monitors is too much of a hassle.
Let me know if you would be interested in such a proposition.

Now I'm simply waiting to receive the arctic paste and will work on it then.

#22 May 26 2019

Elitism Guru

Do you have the usual buzz/vibration with pump on that cooler knefe?

#23 May 26 2019

VincentKeyboard

Congrats on the nice machine.
Also the wooden baseboard on your wall looks great with the wooden closets. Very nice touch.

#24 May 26 2019

AVOlio

Elitism Guru wrote:

I heard sounds from the pump, like sounds of bubbles when I first installed the cooler and I first turned it on. For a few seconds.
But then, until now I haven't noticed them again, but will pay attention.

#25 May 28 2019

nefe_lpmk

Elitism Guru wrote:

Seeing that it's right in-front my desk, I can hear some vibrations (like humming sound). But not that much noticeable unless you focus. When you have audio on, you barely hear anything.

Board footer