LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#326 June 18 2017

infiniteloop

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

Thanks for the link, better wait to see the price of the u11, do you know if it's as good as s8?

#327 June 18 2017

Draguen

Depends what you want your phone for. In my opinion, they are both really good phone, S8 is a looker, while U11 has bundled Active Noise Cancellation earphones (which in my case, i like to sleep during my lunch break so it would be immensely useful, specially when ANC usually cost 200$+).

but i'll probably go for a OnePlus 5.

Last edited by Draguen (June 18 2017)

#328 June 19 2017

infiniteloop

Thanks, I think I will take an S8 after all, I am told it's totally amazing with GearVR, I called the phonefinity guy, he said the U 11 will be 750$, it's way too much, I have a friend who will sell me his S8 used 3 weeks but pristine at 600$, at least I know it doesn't have the red tint screen, I will later buy a used gearVR from Europe and it will still be cheaper than the U 11

#329 February 25 2018

infiniteloop

Any tips to use the amhaz warranty properly?
I am told to literally open and try the phone in the shop right after paying to show them in ''good faith'' that the phone has a hardware problem out of the box in case it has one, is it true? Or they changed in terms of warranty and will definitely accept to swap it if you find out a hardware fault let's say 3 days later?

#330 March 4 2018

Salloum

infiniteloop wrote:

Any tips to use the amhaz warranty properly?
I am told to literally open and try the phone in the shop right after paying to show them in ''good faith'' that the phone has a hardware problem out of the box in case it has one, is it true? Or they changed in terms of warranty and will definitely accept to swap it if you find out a hardware fault let's say 3 days later?

Buying from Amhaz isn't worth it anymore, even if they claim "full warranty". If you get a hardware defect, you're likely going to be out of luck. They're a mafia and not professionals, always keep that in mind.
The price difference from other stores with official warranty will never be more than 10%, worth it when buying a brand new device IMO for peace of mind.
Also, never buy iPhones from Amhaz as they buy refurbished devices, make the packaging themselves (yes indeed) and sell them as brand new.

#331 March 4 2018

NuclearVision

It's a matter of luck but something worth saying is: if you buy a newly released phone then where are they going to get the refurbished ones from, I second you on the warranty issue, but to be honest, we bought 3 iphone 6 from him, around a month after release, all of them lasted three years+ and mine was still going strong until i got bored of it and pushed it forward 3 weeks ago.
If you do find a seller offering warranty for 20-30$ more, go for it.

Last edited by NuclearVision (March 4 2018)

#332 March 5 2018

LifeEngineer

Salloum wrote:

Buying from Amhaz isn't worth it anymore, even if they claim "full warranty". If you get a hardware defect, you're likely going to be out of luck. They're a mafia and not professionals, always keep that in mind.
The price difference from other stores with official warranty will never be more than 10%, worth it when buying a brand new device IMO for peace of mind.
Also, never buy iPhones from Amhaz as they buy refurbished devices, make the packaging themselves (yes indeed) and sell them as brand new.

You're right but my biggest fear is that most sellers are getting their devices from Amhaz.
Even official retailers had rumors tieing them up to Amhaz... We can't trust anyone anymore.

#333 March 5 2018

Salloum

Even if the official retailers are getting them from Amhaz, at least they are liable if anything goes wrong. They would replace it for you as they have more reputational risk to deal with. I usually go for Carrefour as they are an Emirati based company and I doubt they do much shady things.

#334 March 5 2018

infiniteloop

I finally bought from phonefinity, it's +20$ but at least I know him and he gave me 10 days warranty, his warranty is rock solid, he swapped me 2 phones in the past due to screen defect

#335 March 5 2018

NuclearVision

infiniteloop wrote:

I finally bought from phonefinity, it's +20$ but at least I know him and he gave me 10 days warranty, his warranty is rock solid, he swapped me 2 phones in the past due to screen defect

You must be really unlycky to get two defects of the same type. Makes me wonder about the quality control.

#336 March 5 2018

Salloum

infiniteloop wrote:

Good choice. Can't go wrong with him. 20$ is a small price to pay on a 500-600$ investment to make sure you don't lose the entire amount.

#337 May 13 2019

infiniteloop

I was checking Amhaz original prices, and called them at the city center one, they have the s10+ for a very interesting price, the guy on the telephone said it's mjamrak but I want your testimony, do they really pay the customs or you get trapped?

#338 May 19 2019

Salloum

You will know if its mjamrak as soon as you insert the sim. They send a message either saying 90 days or that the phone is new. Just insert a sim in the phone before leaving the store.

#339 May 19 2019

Johnaudi

Just a question, say you buy a phone from an outside country and clear the taxes at the airport (which is usually like 10% cash back), aren't you able to pay back the customs that way?

#340 May 19 2019

Salloum

All you are getting back in that case is the VAT or government taxes from that country. Custom fees in Lebanon are 16% and are based on significantly higher prices than the ones in the real market.

#341 May 19 2019

Johnaudi

Still about cancels out then, hence making this law quite useful for our government imo. (As long as your phone is above say 500$)

#342 May 19 2019

infiniteloop

I finally bought from Private Cell, I inserted my sim in the shop and it said the phone was used before, I asked the seller and he said it's the message they send when the customs are cleared, I send an empty sms to 1014 to double check and it gave the model name and imei number without any mention of days.
Though I wonder why it said ''used before'' perhaps they open them before selling them to try to see if the customs were cleared?

#343 May 19 2019

nas93

If it's sealed correctly then there is no way they open them and reseal them

#344 May 21 2019

Jerome

I got a phone from phonefinity, same message, checking with him, he said they opened it to register the IMEI.

#345 May 21 2019

NuclearVision

nas93 wrote:

Believe me, you would be amazed.

#346 May 21 2019

Johnaudi

nas93 wrote:

I personally know two mobile merchants who are doing that. =]

#347 May 21 2019

NuclearVision

I don't blame them. With these weird laws, weird things gonna happen, i mean come on who the hell got this idea? I've never bought a phone from abroad but this seems like an unnecessary hassle, and unfair for small merchant.
Now that huawei is being erased off the international scene bu The U.S(won't last more than 2 years imo), samsung will reign again, that's pure monopoly, something we're not unfamiliar with on this land.

Last edited by NuclearVision (May 21 2019)

#348 May 22 2019

nas93

Notice how I said, 'Correctly' If the seal looks weird it probably was re-sealed. I know some have been re-sealing since the iPhone 5s days

#349 May 22 2019

kareem_nasser

Many local merchants/stores actually replace the genuine chargers along with the cable with fake ones inside the boxes of new phones.

#350 May 22 2019

Salloum

When a device starts to become available refurbished, Amhaz (and other bigger merchants) get the refurbs, print fake boxes and seal them.

Board footer