LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 February 14 2019

infiniteloop

Re: New Phone Jomrok / Customs duty in Lebanon

Are you sure they are not taxing you 3$ per month now that you finished the 3 months?

Last edited by infiniteloop (February 14 2019)

#52 February 14 2019

mmk92

infiniteloop wrote:

Are you sure they are not taxing you 3$ per month now that you finished the 3 months?

Where'd you get that number? Also that would be more convenient and a lot cheaper if it were true.

#53 April 14 2019

infiniteloop

Yesterday i passed by a Libanpost point of sale with my 6T as if I send a message to 1014 they say I have till the 30th of April to pay my customs, the lady there took my 6T and search the database, she said I don't have to pay because my phone is not yet in the database!
I told her ''great but why they said I had to pay this month? will they stop my line?'' and she say that as long as it's not in the database they have no right to stop my line as I can't pay the customs yet

#54 April 14 2019

Kareem

infiniteloop wrote:

Yesterday i passed by a Libanpost point of sale with my 6T as if I send a message to 1014 they say I have till the 30th of April to pay my customs, the lady there took my 6T and search the database, she said I don't have to pay because my phone is not yet in the database!
I told her ''great but why they said I had to pay this month? will they stop my line?'' and she say that as long as it's not in the database they have no right to stop my line as I can't pay the customs yet

If that's the case, I'm going to get the Xperia 1. Sony phones are almost non existent in Lebanon... lol

#55 April 14 2019

infiniteloop

Kareem wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

If that's the case, I'm going to get the Xperia 1. Sony phones are almost non existent in Lebanon... lol

Xperia 1 is an old phone with a known brand so 100% in the database
OnePlus is a total mystery for Lebanese authorities, they only know that apple,samsung and Huawei are making phones in 2019 lol, heck even mobile phones shops calling themselves ''android experts'' don't even know OnePlus exists.
I will call alfa tomorrow to get a confirmation about Libanpost's claims

#56 April 14 2019

Kareem

infiniteloop wrote:
Kareem wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

Xperia 1 is an old phone with a known brand so 100% in the database
OnePlus is a total mystery for Lebanese authorities, they only know that apple,samsung and Huawei are making phones in 2019 lol, heck even mobile phones shops calling themselves ''android experts'' don't even know OnePlus exists.
I will call alfa tomorrow to get a confirmation about Libanpost's claims

Xperia 1 is not released yet. Another month to go. That basically confirms what I'm saying. Nobody knows anything about Sony.

What's even funnier is that in France for example, SFR mobile tethering for prepaid cards is blocked on all Android phones except Sony Xperia ones. Go figure.

#57 April 21 2019

Sasuke

is the database of phone customs prices available to the public, or the only way to check it is at Libanpost?

#58 May 4 2019

hishjwnz

Hello All,
I'm wondering if anyone let the 90 days period run out and got his phone blocked. i believed that it wont so i told a friend suffering from this issue not to pay and wait. After 90 days, he got another sms saying he has an extra 30 days and if he doesnt it gets blocked. Obviously told him to let that period run as well and not pay unless it gets blocked, and it actually did after those extra 30 days. So after 120 days in total, he had to pay 298,000 LBP including Libanpost fees. IPhone XS 64Gb.
@infiniteloop and @AVOlio any updates on you situations? 5T and 6T still working?
Just wondering whether to consider a oneplus or maybe a Xiaomi Mi8 Pro (if also applicable) as next phone in case it costs 200$ less to keep it working compared to "recognized" phones.

Last edited by hishjwnz (May 4 2019)

#59 May 4 2019

infiniteloop

This law was made for the official dealers in Lebanon meaning for samsung,apple and Huawei, I think xiaomi has also a dealer now, they don't care about OnePlus as it doesn't have a wakil, my 6T is running fine and no sms from MOT since then.
Called and went to libanpos they told me they don't have 6T in the database.
Frankly if they wanted to add it they would have done so 4 months ago already

Last edited by infiniteloop (May 4 2019)

#60 May 4 2019

AVOlio

My 5t is still working as well.
The deadline has passed 120 days for sure.

#61 May 4 2019

Sasuke

so do they include every Xiaomi mobile ever made in this database?

#62 May 5 2019

mmk92

My friend owns an iPhone XR that also is way past the 120 days.

For the ones who paid, did your phones completely stop functioning? Or did you just choose to pay because the deadline passed?

#63 May 5 2019

hishjwnz

infiniteloop wrote:

This law was made for the official dealers in Lebanon meaning for samsung,apple and Huawei, I think xiaomi has also a dealer now.

Did you get this information from a specific person/ source? i'm wondering if we can ask someone about this (whether a brand of phones is in the database or not)

mmk92 wrote:

For the ones who paid, did your phones completely stop functioning? Or did you just choose to pay because the deadline passed?

The sim card gets locked so you can't use the cellular network through that phone until you pay the fees. Happened to my friend with IPhone XS after 120 days. It was back working 4 hours after he paid.

#64 May 16 2019

ivy

infiniteloop wrote:

This law was made for the official dealers in Lebanon meaning for samsung,apple and Huawei, I think xiaomi has also a dealer now, they don't care about OnePlus as it doesn't have a wakil, my 6T is running fine and no sms from MOT since then.

What did alfa have to say? Btw, does everything function properly including mobile data? I'm eyeing out the OnePlus 7P but I'm reluctant due to the current situation.

#65 May 16 2019

Salloum

mmk92 wrote:

Can you please verify this info? The iPhone XR should be in the database and it shouldn’t work after 90 days, not even 120.

#66 May 16 2019

LordVoldemort

Hello guys
this is my first post in this lovely forum
and I just want to share my experience regarding this subject
In October 2018, after spending a couple of days in Syria with my friends, and on our way back, the moment we crossed the borders, we got these msgs from MoT concerning settling the custom fees of our devices.
Today, that is after 216 days, our phones are still working fine, and we hadn't received any new msgs since.

Now I know some of you might say, well perhaps it's because you had your devices working prior to the issuing of the customs law, well I don't think this is the case
Because a friend of mine, who bought her device before issuing this law, sadly received msgs concerning paying the fees, and her sim was blocked. How did she overcome this problem? She just inserted her sim card in the other slot and had it working again.

the bottom line, no idea what is going on or how this law works.

#67 May 16 2019

infiniteloop

ivy wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

What did alfa have to say? Btw, does everything function properly including mobile data? I'm eyeing out the OnePlus 7P but I'm reluctant due to the current situation.

I sold my phone but the counter was frozen to 31 days left and it will stay like that as long as libanpost doesn't add it in the database, the day they will they will send an sms saying 30 days left

#68 May 16 2019

ivy

infiniteloop wrote:
ivy wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

I sold my phone but the counter was frozen to 31 days left and it will stay like that as long as libanpost doesn't add it in the database, the day they will they will send an sms saying 30 days left

By counter you mean you've been counting it yourself? Would you advise someone buying a phone and dealing with this hassle?

#69 May 16 2019

infiniteloop

Send an empty sms to 1014

#70 May 17 2019

mmk92

Salloum wrote:
mmk92 wrote:

Can you please verify this info? The iPhone XR should be in the database and it shouldn’t work after 90 days, not even 120.

It still working to this day without an issue.

#71 July 11 2019

purpleradish

Just wondering if everyone's phone is still working? Is the new rule being enforced in practice?

#72 July 11 2019

nefe_lpmk

Mine stopped working as soon as the duration expired.
At first, the behavior was that the line would stop working after every phone call until you restart your phone or you do airplane mode (on/off). Then it stopped working completely.
I have mate 20 pro.

#73 July 11 2019

DNA

my friend's phones 2 of them stopped working after 90 days.
Btw the duration is 90 days when connected to a network if the phone is off or airplane mode the days dont count am not 100% sure though

Last edited by DNA (July 11 2019)

#74 July 12 2019

Sab23

My phone is still working as it is not on the ministry's list yet.

#75 July 12 2019

xazbrat

Sab23 wrote:

My phone is still working as it is not on the ministry's list yet.

Oneplus?

Board footer