LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 4 2019

Elitism Guru

Eye care: Large monitor - far vs Small monitor - near distance

As the title suggests, what is your preference when working ~8hours, specifically productivity tasks.
As a developer, I've been trying a 40 inch TV, sitting far at 165cm, vs my usual 29 inch ultrawide (both 1080p) at 68-70cm.
So far, my eyes feel better, if I look outside at far scenery my eyes don't need time to adjust as regular desktop screens (slight blur for an hour).
I have yet to see such setup, searching online forums, I have never seen anyone consider this, most use 4k 40inch for the use of space, sitting at 70~cm, which I think is harmful unless used in multi monitor setting, still flat screen though, multi monitors are angled.

The idea is to equate FoV by distance and screen size, my 40 inch looks exactly the same as a 28 inch from the distances mentioned above. (Same eye movement looking around the edge of the screen, just different focus)
I don't mind sacrificing room space for my eye's health.

Would like to know your experience with sizes.

Last edited by Elitism Guru (May 4 2019)

#2 May 4 2019

JudicatorKhoury

Re: Eye care: Large monitor - far vs Small monitor - near distance

Elitism Guru wrote:

As the title suggests, what is your preference when working ~8hours, specifically productivity tasks.
As a developer, I've been trying a 40 inch TV, sitting far at 165cm, vs my usual 29 inch ultrawide (both 1080p) at 68-70cm.
So far, my eyes feel better, if I look outside at far scenery my eyes don't need time to adjust as regular desktop screens (slight blur for an hour).
I have yet to see such setup, searching online forums, I have never seen anyone consider this, most use 4k 40inch for the use of space, sitting at 70~cm, which I think is harmful unless used in multi monitor setting, still flat screen though, multi monitors are angled.

The idea is to equate FoV by distance and screen size, my 40 inch looks exactly the same as a 28 inch from the distances mentioned above. (Same eye movement looking around the edge of the screen, just different focus)

I feel that change is not linked to the variables you are considering, but due to the types of panels, peak brightness and the like.
The big difference for me was instead custom anti-glare and blue filtering glasses. Went from constant headaches to being able to do 10h straight.

#3 May 4 2019

Elitism Guru

JudicatorKhoury wrote:
Elitism Guru wrote:

I feel that change is not linked to the variables you are considering, but due to the types of panels, peak brightness and the like.
The big difference for me was instead custom anti-glare and blue filtering glasses. Went from constant headaches to being able to do 10h straight.

Not sure how's that related.
Both +300nits, IPS, and I do have these features on my glasses.
I remember having the same eye strain when painting years ago (slight blur when looking outside), which is normal either way in short periods.

#4 May 4 2019

infiniteloop

I picked a Benq monitor as it has a hardware blue light filter built-in, but Asus monitors have this feature as well.
The advantage over software based BL filter like the ones in LG and Samsung is that white balance is just slightly affected so you can work on photo editing

#5 May 4 2019

Elitism Guru

I should have clarified about the type of eye strain, in this case its lower optical power, not pain.
Asus changes gamma, in which temperature takes an effect being warmer, can be done manually on LG displays as well. Dark shades and grey stay grey without red tint (like software)

Staring at something for hours at 70cm is not normal from my experience, maybe having something shiny behind your monitor at around 50cm to look at every while could help. Not to mention, for people with glasses, your IPD is different at near objects to what your glasses are done for for the nearsighted, especially at monitor levels.

If I stop using smartphones/laptop/desktop for 2 days, my older contact lens (currently glasses) work fine, I could do 10/20 on glasses.

#6 May 14 2019

Guitaret

This doesn't answer your question directly but hopefully it will help:
I found out the below settings to be very confy: QHD resolution on a 28 inch screen.

Board footer