LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 8 2019

DG

Asus DSL routers

Anyone here has some experience with Asus DSL Routers/Modems ?
I'm mostly interested in their stability on marginal lines (such as the lines we have in Lebanon). Do they provide a stable connection on long lines ? Can you tweak the SNR to increase it (even if this means syncing at lower speeds) ?
Any replies are appreciated.

#2 May 8 2019

duke-of-bytes

Re: Asus DSL routers

line attenuation :
20dB and below is perfect
20dB – 30dB is excellent
30dB – 40dB is very good
40dB – 50db is OK
50dB  and above is bad

you can do nothing about a low attenuation figure, except from moving to a new location closer to the ADSL exchange.

SNR (signal to noise ratio)

10dB and below is bad
11db – 20dB is OK
20dB – 28dB is excellent
29dB  and above is perfect

things you can to mitigate low SNR

1-Buy a router that is good enough to manage low SNR margin figures
2-Install a good quality ADSL filter to your router and to each phone device installed on the same line.
3-Change the faceplate of your line with a better one and check that the cable terminates properly to it.( we tend to forget about that a lot)
4-Change the in-building cabling. Poor, low quality telephone cabling can introduce noise to the line. You can check if you have a problem with the in-building cabling, just by placing the router (temporarily) directly to the intrusion point (the main cable coming in) and by checking the router’s statistics.

#3 May 9 2019

DG

Thanks Duke and, not to be rude, but this doesn't answer the questions I asked.
I specifically asked about Asus modems to check if they include the option to tweak the SNR (both up and down) and how well they hold on marginal/long phone lines.

#4 May 9 2019

duke-of-bytes

DG wrote:

Thanks Duke and, not to be rude, but this doesn't answer the questions I asked.
I specifically asked about Asus modems to check if they include the option to tweak the SNR (both up and down) and how well they hold on marginal/long phone lines.

i wanted to post it in the ogero thread , sorry by accident
concerning your question , yes ASUS is way better than the modems they give first .. more control , more powerful chip , etc

#5 May 9 2019

DG

Can the SNR be tweaked with all Asus modems ?

To see what I'm talking about, scroll down to "04. Stability Adjustment (ADSL)" at the following link:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1015709/#

#6 May 9 2019

duke-of-bytes

Basically all AC xdsl supports tweaking and some of the higher N series

#7 May 9 2019

DG

Thanks. So you think getting a modem capable of both VDSL2 xdsl data rate and IPTV is worth it to be future proof regarding the incoming changes / improvements in Lebanon ?

#8 May 9 2019

xazbrat

DG wrote:

Thanks. So you think getting a modem capable of both VDSL2 xdsl data rate and IPTV is worth it to be future proof regarding the incoming changes / improvements in Lebanon ?

Probably a good idea.  One thing about Asus routers is that they tend to be better on stabilizing connections that have interference or other issues.  If your connection is a bit unstable, then a Asus is a good choice--if you have a stable connection, get something a bit more future proof.

#9 May 9 2019

DG

Thanks for the feedback. I believe the Asus router which includes IPTV and VDSL2 should be future proof enough :)
I'm mostly interested in the Asus DSL-N16 model which I believe should include the option to tweak SNR as well ? i.e. make it higher at the expense of reduced sync speed. Do correct me if I'm wrong about this feature.

#10 May 10 2019

nefe_lpmk

My friend uses a non-dsl Asus router/AP, he is really happy with it.
You can do many things including QOS, guest, shaping and many more. only drawback is that it's a bit expensive.

Last edited by nefe_lpmk (May 10 2019)

#11 May 10 2019

duke-of-bytes

DG wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I believe the Asus router which includes IPTV and VDSL2 should be future proof enough :)
I'm mostly interested in the Asus DSL-N16 model which I believe should include the option to tweak SNR as well ? i.e. make it higher at the expense of reduced sync speed. Do correct me if I'm wrong about this feature.

the DSL-N16 supports tweaking your SNR margin but i would go with a higher dual band model instead of the N-band
it is a good modem

#12 May 10 2019

DG

Thanks again for both replies. I have already ordered the DSL-N16 so I can't cancel my order. Anyway it should be enough for my needs.

#13 May 12 2019

ironman

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

But here are my figures with the .... Linksys X1000 Modem

Down      Up
DSL Noise Margin:     9.7       10.2
DSL Attenuation:       35.5         25.6
DSL Transmit Power:     19.7         12.2

Would an Asus modem solve few of my troubles?

The connection syncs at 6MB then resets to 1MB  after a while.
When i reboot the modem, it syncs back to 6MB.

Thanks.

#14 May 12 2019

DG

@ironman A lot of Asus modem features such as "G.INP (G.998.4)" and others need to be supported by the DSLAM otherwise they do nothing when you enable them in your modem. So I'm not sure another modem would solve your problem.

On a lighter note, is there a way to see both HEC and FEC errors on the Asus N16 modem ? It only displays CRC errors in the web interface.

Board footer