LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 28 2019

mk555

Looking for a new laptop

Greetings,
I'm looking for a new laptop to buy. My budget is around $1500. The laptop will be used for gaming and programming. And I'll move around a lot so a low weight is a plus. Any input is appreciated. Thanks !

#2 April 28 2019

Jerome

Re: Looking for a new laptop

Maybe the dream is i7-8X, no GPU, and thunderbolt 3 so that you can do E-GPU at home.

This is the lightest "gaming" laptop I could find on amazon, at 4.14 lbs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BBJKCYG/ref=emc_b_5_t

#3 April 28 2019

mk555

Jerome wrote:

Maybe the dream is i7-8X, no GPU, and thunderbolt 3 so that you can do E-GPU at home.

This is the lightest "gaming" laptop I could find on amazon, at 4.14 lbs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BBJKCYG/ref=emc_b_5_t

Damn that looks nice, unfortunately it's above budget. And I prefer something from Lebanon since I can't wait for shipping. I kinda need it next week. Thanks a lot though.

#4 April 28 2019

duke-of-bytes

I have the thinkpad t850 13 inch..2 batteries..i7-8550..16 gb ddr4 ..512 Gb nvme .. thunderbolt 3 but i hate it ..it looks like it came from year 2000..plus it heats up like an oven

#5 April 28 2019

Johnaudi

Lenovo Legion Y7000P, it's heaven for 1300$
1TB HDD + 256GB SSD, GTX 1060, i7 8th Gen, and a very stylish laptop too. Highly recommend it!
I've been using it for a month so far and I'm planning to leave my girlfriend because of it!

Last edited by Johnaudi (April 28 2019)

#6 April 28 2019

mk555

Johnaudi wrote:

Lenovo Legion Y7000P, it's heaven for 1300$
1TB HDD + 256GB SSD, GTX 1060, i7 8th Gen, and a very stylish laptop too. Highly recommend it!
I've been using it for a month so far and I'm planning to leave my girlfriend because of it!

I can't seem to find it, where did you get it from ?
Thanks !

#7 April 28 2019

bobo619

Never i repeat never buy a laptop for it s aesthetics especially slim ones i have experience first hand. The first thing you should seek before buying one is checking feedback online on thermals even if you need to sacrifice a bit on thickness.

#8 April 28 2019

Elitism Guru

bobo619 wrote:

Never i repeat never buy a laptop for it s aesthetics especially slim ones i have experience first hand. The first thing you should seek before buying one is checking feedback online on thermals even if you need to sacrifice a bit on thickness.

I second this, as someone who went with 3 gaming laptops in 2 years (sold used). Fan noise issues, fan speed regulation annoyance, aggressive alternating throttling (esp when CPU and GPU have combined heatsink). I'm not against throttling as you don't lose much surprisingly, but one stutter is enough to dump it down the bin imo.
Pro tip: Take any tip or info from Notebookreviews.com (forum aswell) as a grain of salt. It's the leading website when it comes to AstroTurfing, very easy to fall into their trap, company representatives and retailers are masqueraded as forum members with multiple accounts.

#9 April 28 2019

Tech Guru

Good Gaming laptops ~ 3k. Neverthless , I Recommend with in your budget:

Lenovo Legion y7000 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-8750H
16 GB RAM DDR4
1TB HDD
256 GB SSD
Nvidia GTX 1060  6GB GDDR5

~ 1350 USD with Local Availability

Last edited by Tech Guru (April 28 2019)

#10 April 28 2019

Tech Guru

bobo619 wrote:

MaxQ resolved that without CPU/GPU throtelling. Been using the MSI GS75 Stealth for portable gaming & its perfect.

Key Specs — Display: 17.3-inch, 1080p | CPU:Intel Core i7-8750H | GPU: RTX 2080 Max-Q | RAM: 32GB

#11 April 29 2019

Johnaudi

Tech Guru wrote:

Good Gaming laptops ~ 3k. Neverthless , I Recommend with in your budget:

Lenovo Legion y7000 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-8750H
16 GB RAM DDR4
1TB HDD
256 GB SSD
Nvidia GTX 1060  6GB GDDR5

~ 1350 USD with Local Availability

This.

You need to "know a guy" from the east side of Beirut and he'll take care of finding it for you. Or check OLX.

#12 April 29 2019

mk555

Alright thanks a lot for the suggestion guys, the Y7000 seems good. I also found this laptop at mojitech. Anyone has any opinion about it ?

Edit: This aswell.

Last edited by mk555 (April 29 2019)

#13 April 29 2019

duke-of-bytes

mk555 wrote:

Alright thanks a lot for the suggestion guys, the Y7000 seems good. I also found this laptop at mojitech. Anyone has any opinion about it ?

Edit: This aswell.

The TUF looks awesome

#14 April 29 2019

mk555

duke-of-bytes wrote:

The TUF looks awesome

I thought so as well, but I’m concerned about its build quality (specifically temperature and noise)

#15 April 29 2019

duke-of-bytes

mk555 wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

The TUF looks awesome

I thought so as well, but I’m concerned about its build quality (specifically temperature and noise)

it might a bit noisier and more heating prone because of the slim build , but still for this price you are getting awesome specs .. it can use as a portable workstation

#16 April 29 2019

MrClass

Are you looking for a 17" or a 15"?

I can help bring from Amazon. Many options there within your budget. You can even get a Sager laptop with RTX 2060, 8th gen i7 CPU and 16GB RAM

#17 April 29 2019

mk555

MrClass wrote:

I can help bring from Amazon. Many options there within your budget. You can even get a Sager laptop with RTX 2060, 8th gen i7 CPU and 16GB RAM

I kinda need it by the end of this week, so I don't think that would be possible. Thank you for the offer though.

#18 April 29 2019

bobo619

MrClass wrote:

Do you import goods from amazon by forwading services or do you have someone living abroad?

Board footer