LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 17 2019

DG

DSL modem admin and ppp passwords

I know it's been asked many times and I used the search function but wasn't able to find anything that would really work/help.
I am moving apartments in 2 weeks and thus I had to apply for a new line / DSL at the new apartment.
I was told that, if I wish to keep my current modem, I need to take it down to Mina El Hosn for reconfiguration and have to wait 1 week to get it back.
I can, on the other hand, buy a pre-configured modem that will work right off the bat (without having to go to Mina El Hosn or waiting for 1 week).

I am currently using a Thomson TG585 v7 modem and the new pre-configured modem that the CO sells is a TP-Link TD W9960A.

Is there any way to get the interface admin and the ppp passwords from any of those modems ? What are the Ogero configuration parameters (Routed PPP,  VPI/VCI, etc...)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DG (November 4 2019)

#2 April 17 2019

Aly

Re: DSL modem admin and ppp passwords

First, if you take it to Mina El Hosn, they will configure it instantly for you and you take it back with you, i have done it before and not sure who told you it needs one week. 
Second there are some tweaks and workarounds you can do to extract the pppoe credentials, depending on modem model and firmware version, so some Googling should help you with that.
Third you can call 1515 and they will provide you with admin credentials over the phone, i have went through this before and they gave me the credentials without any issues, what they dont give you are the PPPOE credentials (L number and pass) but once you have the admin credentials you can easily dump the config and decrypt it then extract the pppoe details.

#3 April 17 2019

random-username

If you are slightly Tech Savvy you can always get your PPoE username and pass from Ogero and setup whatever modem you want.

Only requirement is that you need to be on a limited plan (200GB, 100....etc) to avoid abuse.

All you have to do is email Mr. Nader Rifai with the following:

To: nrifai@ogero.gov.lb
Subject: Requesting PPPoE username and password

Dear Mr. Rifai,

Trust this email finds you well. I'm kindly requesting my PPPoE username and password so that I can set-up my own modem.
Please find scanned copies of my latest telephone bill as well as my (or whoever the phone bill is registered to) ID attached to this email.

DSL #: XXXX
Landline: XXXX
Contact number (mobile): XXXX
Subscribed plan:

Regards,
XXXX

#4 April 17 2019

DG

Thanks for both replies. Good to know they will configure it for me on the spot and they will also give me the admin username + password.
@random-username, I'm subscribed to an unlimited plan. What exactly do you mean by "avoid abuse" ?

#5 April 17 2019

Aly

DG wrote:

Thanks for both replies. Good to know they will configure it for me on the spot and they will also give me the admin username + password.
@random-username, I'm subscribed to an unlimited plan. What exactly do you mean by "avoid abuse" ?

If am not mistaken, what he means Ogero might avoid giving you any credentials since you have an unlimited plan, since they are afraid that people will abuse or resell the internet to other users illegally.

#6 April 18 2019

random-username

DG wrote:

Let's just say people have been caught re-selling their DSL, which is illegal. Limited bandwidth mostly fixes such sorts of abuse.

Mr. Rifai will probably ask you to provide him with the Model# and MAC address of your modem after he give you your credentials, you don't have to do it (I and several of my friends didn't since it's not mandatory), but now you know why, it's to combat people re-selling their DSL.

#7 April 18 2019

AVOlio

random-username wrote:
DG wrote:

Let's just say people have been caught re-selling their DSL, which is illegal. Limited bandwidth mostly fixes such sorts of abuse.

Mr. Rifai will probably ask you to provide him with the Model# and MAC address of your modem after he give you your credentials, you don't have to do it (I and several of my friends didn't since it's not mandatory), but now you know why, it's to combat people re-selling their DSL.

How have they been caught?

#8 April 18 2019

DG

random-username wrote:

Doesn't Ogero forbid/block any modem which MAC's address is not in their database from connecting to their network ?
So let's theoretically assume I have my ppp credentials... can I then buy any modem and configure it myself without having to take it to Mina El Hosn ?

#9 April 18 2019

Elitism Guru

DG wrote:
random-username wrote:

Doesn't Ogero forbid/block any modem which MAC's address is not in their database from connecting to their network ?
So let's theoretically assume I have my ppp credentials... can I then buy any modem and configure it myself without having to take it to Mina El Hosn ?

No, I'm using a modem in bridge mode with external WiFi mesh system, different MAC no probs.

#10 April 18 2019

Aly

DG wrote:
random-username wrote:

No they don’t, you can replace your modem anytime given that you have your pppoe credentials and even if they do have MAC address filtering you can easily spoof or clone it.

#11 April 21 2019

DG

Well I went to Mina El Hosn and the Ogero employee said I have to keep my modem at their headquarters for 1 week because I'm applying for DSL on a new landline.

#12 April 21 2019

random-username

DG wrote:
random-username wrote:

No restrictions whatsoever, you can setup any DSL modem you want at anytime as long as you have the PPPoE username and pass.
I've used 4 different modems so far in the past 2 years, no problems whatsoever, even though I didn't notify anyone about the change.

Board footer