LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 11 2019

weihenstephaner

Video Conference Interview

Hey guys, I moved to France last September and I am visiting Lebanon for a couple of weeks for holidays before I go back to France again.

The thing is that I have a very important video conference job interview when I will be in Beirut with an investment bank in Switzerland. I worked so hard to get this far that I really don't want to worry about the bullshit that goes on in Leb.

I am already stressing about the internet connection and the electricity. The video call will start at 2PM which is already making me nervous regarding the switch between dawle and moteur.

What is the best course to take? Should I use 4G with hotspot, buy a ups for the modem or what?

I have open speed with Ogero but I don't even remember how the internet is in Lebanon compared to here.

#2 April 11 2019

xterm

Re: Video Conference Interview

I've never really had issues with stability as an Ogero subscriber; either way there's nothing to stress on about, give it a test and if your DSL connection doesn't cut it, the 4G one should be fine.

#3 April 11 2019

Draguen

Use your phone's 4G connection on hotspot, connected to a laptop, as an option you can also use with earphones + microphone.

#4 April 11 2019

Toufic

Phone 4G

#5 April 11 2019

Aly

I'd recommend the 4G hotspot option as well, smooth and stable.

#6 April 11 2019

rolf

If you can do it from a country with a decent infrastructure do that.

However if you do not have this option, don't stress out, it can be managed, with some preparation. Here are some things you may want to consider:

Electricity cuts:
   Use a laptop, and the internet connection be on a UPS. Rehearse a power cut and make sure it can be handled. Make sure you have natural light or battery lighting

Internet quality:
   Have a good DSL wifi connection which is not overshared, this means that it would be only you using it. Have a phone with 4G tethered through USB as backup. If the main connection goes funny, just disable wifi it and the computer will automatically switch to the phone which is already connected. Rehearse before the interview. You will still have a little lag, hopefully it will not be too much of an issue. The main point is not to spend 10 minutes going like this: "Can you hear me? Can you hear me now? Wait  can you close and I will try calling you again?" Of course keep your work laptop clean, don't install tons of crap.

Sound pollution:
  Zouzou burning the tires on his BM or the moped from hell. Make sure you are talking from a quiet place with good sound insulation. I know one nice shared working space in Mar Mkhayel. If your home is not well insulated and quiet, then there are other options as well.

Of course there are the regular concerns of being well dressed, prepared, punctual and relaxed. Especially the latter -  it is not always easy with the crazy living conditions in Lebanon.

Be sure you have good sound quality otherwise buy a nice microphone.

If something goes very wrong with the internet, like it stops for the whole country, which is extremely rare but not unseen, then you might just have to reschedule the interview due to these exceptional circumstances.

Good luck!

Last edited by rolf (April 12 2019)

#7 April 11 2019

MrClass

Which video conference platform will they be using? Make sure to install the tool ahead of time.

Connecting to a VPN might enhance your connection.

Ask for a conference call dial number in case you get internet issues.

#8 April 11 2019

mikasa

rent a space in Beirut Digital District or Antwork

#9 April 12 2019

nefe_lpmk

4G connection from a phone with a good signal + Laptop with headset should be more than fine.

#10 April 12 2019

rolf

MrClass wrote:

Connecting to a VPN might enhance your connection.

How?

A VPN will introduce latency and an additional layer of failure.
On any normal connection, direct is faster than VPN. If it is the opposite on your connection then something is not right - find a better connection.

Last edited by rolf (April 12 2019)

#11 April 12 2019

xazbrat

nefe_lpmk wrote:

4G connection from a phone with a good signal + Laptop with headset should be more than fine.

Yeah--I have had no issues with this method.  Just make sure you sit in a spot with good coverage near a window and you shouldn't have any issues.

Board footer