LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 April 10 2019

Draguen

Re: Impact of influenza on Your daily activity Questionnaire

Biology, as opposed to human creation (i'm talking about human made items here, no religious connotations) is in my opinion, the most elegant science because of a simple rule : its design must be efficient or they will simply disappear. Every race or species that were roaming the earth at some point, provided a solution to environmental constraints.

now the fun thing, we can actually "hack" evolution and make it go where we want, the thing is that we're not very good at it, and when we do something there's usually side effects down the line.

Google CRISPR and gene editing solutions, i honestly believe that enhanced humans are closer than everyone thinks, by the time we're old slugs (two or three breakthrough away), babies with improved characteristics will probably roam the earth.

we could argue that it's already happening, and the worst thing is that it will happen in small to medium labs in shitty countries, since the technology is practically communly available, but the legal repercussions will cripple big labs.

and this is only one tiny point of what we're soon going to be capable of.

Imagine human gene editing lead by an A.I ? shit i would love to write a paper on that.

Last edited by Draguen (April 10 2019)

#27 April 10 2019

Joe

Humans have been messing with biology since the dawn of time. Look at chihuahuas, you think these things existed in nature? Hell no! Humans have engineered these useless things to be cute and apartment friendly.

#28 April 10 2019

Draguen

just to add on that, human sequencing, which was led in the 2000s by the "Human Genome Project" cost arround 5 Bilions USD. However, today the price for a DNA sequencing is around 200 $ , and honestly you can shop around during Black Friday.

Now, let's be creative and project yourself in 10 years, the cost of human sequencing is down to a dollar, and we've fed as many full DNA sequences to an A.I as possible, with the objective of the A.I to create the perfect human (health, height, intelligence, athletics and a pinch of healthy sarcasm). we would just have to find a way to write the DNA exactly as we want.

but let's be clear, i took some heavy-handed shortcuts in my previous paragraph : we haven't fully sequenced the human DNA (heterochrimatin issue), the DNA to expressed phenotype (physical characteristic) is very very complicated and far from a straight line and finally, we're far from being able to write DNA sequencing as easily as we type letters on a keyboard.

But you know, we're close enough, if you're ready to bear the consequences of approximations in human DNA

Last edited by Draguen (April 10 2019)

#29 April 10 2019

Draguen

Joe wrote:

Humans have been messing with biology since the dawn of time. Look at chihuahuas, you think these things existed in nature? Hell no! Humans have engineered these useless things to be cute and apartment friendly.

On a side note, i have 3 chihuahuas.

Board footer