LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 7 2019

rcm005

What come next after i finish my Computer Science Bachelors

so I am gonna graduate for Arab open university soon with a degree in Computing  ( Computer Science ) with a gpa of 2.96 and i'm really lost on what to do next ? which masters degree i should pursue and at which university. i was think about Software engineering? what do you guys think ? any advice on which university may offer this major ? what are the criteria for me if a want to continue my master aboard in Europe ? i already did the math and probably wont be able to save more than 7000$ and that if i took a year of studies ? is there any bank that will give such a loan ?
I noticed I failed to mention as I already work as a backend developer

Last edited by rcm005 (April 7 2019)

#2 April 7 2019

duke-of-bytes

Re: What come next after i finish my Computer Science Bachelors

Find a job

#3 April 7 2019

rcm005

duke-of-bytes wrote:

Find a job

I am already working as a backend developer :)

Last edited by rcm005 (April 7 2019)

#4 April 7 2019

VincentKeyboard

Don't lose a job over a masters degree.

#5 April 7 2019

rcm005

VincentKeyboard wrote:

Don't lose a job over a masters degree.

no I can do both I think just like im doing now if im gonna stay in Lebanon if i am able to leave ill have to leave

#6 April 7 2019

Johnaudi

Only go for engineering if you're wanting the insurance, there isn't much difference between a software engineer and a computer scientist (except one gets paid more), but sadly when you apply for a job you're more likely to be overqualified as an engineer than a CS major.

#7 April 7 2019

Tech Guru

Do

Worldly recgonized technical coding development certifications such as:

MCSD
Oracle Certified Java certifications at the Associate - Professional (OCP), Master (OCM) and Expert (OCE) levels.

#8 April 7 2019

rcm005

Tech Guru wrote:

Do

MCSD
Oracle Certified Java certifications at the Associate - Professional (OCP), Master (OCM) and Expert (OCE) levels.

Can you name some other certificates

#9 April 7 2019

beezer

Tech Guru wrote:

Do

MCSD

This is right. Get certified and ditch the Masters.

#10 April 7 2019

vlatkozelka

Johnaudi wrote:

Only go for engineering if you're wanting the insurance, there isn't much difference between a software engineer and a computer scientist (except one gets paid more), but sadly when you apply for a job you're more likely to be overqualified as an engineer than a CS major.

Not sure about the "one gets paid more". At least at the place I work, they are all treated equally.

Pay is mostly about negotiation skills, and knowing how much you're worth, and how much the person you're negotiating with is willing to pay to get the job done. (Wish I had learned that earlier btw)

#11 April 7 2019

Joe

Hey rcm005, you're asking very good questions, but in order to answer you, we'll need to have more details:

• What is your current job?

• What's your favorite thing about your current job? Your least favorite thing?

• What kind of career interests you the most? (Programming? Networking? System admin? Management? Sales?)

• What's your motivation to keep studying? (If you want better jobs, you probably go towards Engineering/MBA. If you want better knowledge, you probably go towards PhD)

If you want to study in Europe, you should read up about ECTS (first link off google) and see where your current university stand in terms of european credit. Then the rest is just a matter of getting accepted in a school.

Ultimately, you should really think about what's your motivation to keep studying. For most people, you can get more benefit from working than from adding more diplomas.

Last edited by Joe (April 7 2019)

#12 April 7 2019

vlatkozelka

There's another thread where I elaborated on this, and so did others.

It depends on what you're after. If it's money, or making a good living, then stay in engineering (engineering not as a degree, but as in working in the field of creating software). Or maybe even make money otherwise haha (start a business, sales, services, etc...)

If you're after research and exploration, etc... then go the masters -> PhD route. Some people find this option more appealing and fulfilling.

#13 April 11 2019

rcm005

Joe wrote:
  • What is your current job?

• What's your favorite thing about your current job? Your least favorite thing?

• What kind of career interests you the most? (Programming? Networking? System admin? Management? Sales?)

• What's your motivation to keep studying? (If you want better jobs, you probably go towards Engineering/MBA. If you want better knowledge, you probably go towards PhD)

Ultimately, you should really think about what's your motivation to keep studying. For most people, you can get more benefit from working than from adding more diplomas.

Hi Man,
Well i am a back end web developer .
well what i really love about im career is coding and creating something new especially when thing go well, what  i hate about my job is when it goes wrong, well i wanna continue my studies first of all to get a better job and pay and future proof my self

Board footer