LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 February 24 2019

bobo619

Re: The New Samsung S10 Plus

@Tech Guru
I just came across this https://www.whitestonedome.com/product/ … ass-2pack/. If you are looking for a glass screen replacement check them out and watch the installation video to give you an idea.

Last edited by bobo619 (February 24 2019)

#27 February 25 2019

Tech Guru

bobo619 wrote:

@Tech Guru
I just came across this https://www.whitestonedome.com/product/ … ass-2pack/. If you are looking for a glass screen replacement check them out and watch the installation video to give you an idea.

Very Good choice , but the problem we might face  are incompatibility issues between the screen protector & the phone cover. Going with the same brand for the two is a safer cuhsion.

#28 February 25 2019

Tech Guru

I am wondering if 5G /1TB / 12GB Ram S10+  limited edition will be released in Lebanon. To my info still the 5G network on trial period ( infrastructure is set). I suspect a 2019 or early 2020 lunch frame.

#29 February 25 2019

bobo619

Tech Guru wrote:

I am wondering if 5G /1TB / 12GB Ram S10+  limited edition will be released in Lebanon. To my info still the 5G network on trial period ( infrastructure is set). I suspect a 2019 or early 2020 lunch frame.

By the time 5G becomes widespread in Lebanon you would be enjoying your 3rd maybe 4th generation foldable phone. Even in the U.S 5G is still in it's experimental phase.

#30 February 26 2019

kareem_nasser

Kareem wrote:
Elied wrote:

I really don't understand what people are finding so "innovative" in these new Samsung phones. They're great don't get me wrong but it would be very biased to say Apple is not innovating while Samsung is
The phone literally does not have a single feature that it introduced first. In-screen fingerprint, triple cameras, reverse wireless charging, punch hole notch(yes it's still a notch that they moved to the side) have all been in phones for over a year now. Youtube tech "influencers" have come out in full force calling this phone groundbreaking when it obviously isn't, makes you wonder wether if Samsung's greasing them up or not.
Again, not saying the phone is bad, but at this point both iphones and galaxy phones are just mildly better iterations of their 3 year old selves

That's why I'm a Sony supporter... Their mobile phones are very underrated probably due to marketing whatsoever.

They don't follow the trend and the marketing gimmicks. They were the first to introduce IP64 phones, stamina battery mode, trackID ( replaced by Shazam now), Bravia engine, 960fps slow motion, 4k displays and the list is endless. XZ4 is going to be announced next week. the only phone with a 21:9 display ratio.

Samsung and Huawei were caught many times cheating  so that  they can promote their phones. I don't support such companies.

I have one single problem with buying Sony phones in Lebanon, any real warranty? who is the official distributor these days? I asked Nassar in Hamra he said he is not.

#31 February 27 2019

Tech Guru

Is the Samsung being released here has Exynos 9820 (Own) Samsung 8nm chip)  vs Snapdragon 855  (7nm)?

Initial benchmarks suggests that the Snapdragon 855 is faster.

"Samsung Galaxy S10: First Exynos 9820 vs Snapdragon 855 Scores" - Anandtech

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14031/sa … 855-scores

Speed Test G:  Galaxy S10+ Snapdragon 855 vs Exyons 9820 -Gary Explains

https://youtu.be/MgRnbm9wrzg

That is disappointing Indeed !

Last edited by Tech Guru (February 27 2019)

#32 February 27 2019

anayman_k7

Snapdragon ftw, I got my Pocophone F1 a month ago for around 400$, it has a Snapdragon 845, 6GB RAM, 128GB Storage and 4000Mah battery, also CPU chip is cooled with a heatpipe, amazing stuff for the price

#33 February 27 2019

Tech Guru

anayman_k7 wrote:

Snapdragon ftw, I got my Pocophone F1 a month ago for around 400$, it has a Snapdragon 845, 6GB RAM, 128GB Storage and 4000Mah battery, also CPU chip is cooled with a heatpipe, amazing stuff for the price

What about S10Plus / S10 / S10e being released here ?  Will they have the 7nm Snapdragon 855?

Europe will get the Exynos  9820.

#34 February 27 2019

xazbrat

Tech Guru wrote:
anayman_k7 wrote:

What about S10Plus / S10 / S10e being released here ?

We get exynos here--you want a snapdragon one, either order it from the US/Canada or have someone bring it with them.  Also, just saw a video from MKBHD---don't get a glass screen protector if you are getting an S10 or S10+.  The fingerprint sensor wont work any more. 

(someone will make it even though it wont work--just don't buy it)

#35 February 27 2019

Tech Guru

xazbrat wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
anayman_k7 wrote:

We get exynos here--you want a snapdragon one, either order it from the US/Canada or have someone bring it with them.  Also, just saw a video from MKBHD---don't get a glass screen protector if you are getting an S10 or S10+.  The fingerprint sensor wont work any more. 

I will not bring glass screen protector , I will bring a screen protector that 100% compatible and certified that it will work with new ultra sonic finger print sensor that is embedded in the screen, like the Spigen NeoFlex ones.

On the other hand mate , if I ordered the SD 855 variant  from the USA & pay for customs ,it is region unlocked ? Or it will only work on USA sims only ?

#36 February 27 2019

xazbrat

Tech Guru wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

I will not bring glass screen protector , I will bring a screen protector that 100% compatible and certified that it will work with new ultra sonic finger print sensor that is embedded in the screen, like the Spigen NeoFlex ones.

On the other hand mate , if I ordered the SD 855 variant  from the USA ans payed customs ,it is region unlocked ? Or it will only work on USA sims only ?

If it is unlocked, then it will work anywhere.  The only thing that might be an issue are the OTA updates---you may have to do download those manually if you find out that your are not getting them in a timely manner here.

#37 February 27 2019

Tech Guru

xazbrat wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

On the other hand mate , if I ordered the SD 855 variant  from the USA ans payed customs ,it is region unlocked ? Or it will only work on USA sims only ?

If it is unlocked, then it will work anywhere.  The only thing that might be an issue are the OTA updates---you may have to do download those manually if you find out that your are not getting them in a timely manner here.

Do you do think it is worth to get the S10plus 512GB Snapdragon 855 /Adreno 640 from outside vs getting the  Exynos 9820 / ARM's Mali-G76 variant  from here + ctc preorder bundle ? From your prespective does the performance difference  between the two variants justifies that ?

#38 February 27 2019

xazbrat

Tech Guru wrote:

Do you do think it is worth to get the S10plus 512GB Snapdragon 855 /Adreno 640 from outside vs getting the  Exynos 9820 / ARM's Mali-G76 variant  from here + ctc preorder bundle ? From your prespective does the performance difference  between the two variants justifies that ?

tbh, unless you do some heavy duty gaming, photography or other intensive tasks on your phone, you wont notice much difference. I think the difference will the two variants will narrow as samsung issues software updates to optimize its exynos chips a bit more.

#39 February 27 2019

Tech Guru

Tech Guru wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

@bobo619

Your prespective mate.

#40 February 27 2019

Tech Guru

xazbrat wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

tbh, unless you do some heavy duty gaming, photography or other intensive tasks on your phone, you wont notice much difference. I think the difference will the two variants will narrow as samsung issues software updates to optimize its exynos chips a bit more.

Thank You for the info. Noted

More lunch reviews on the official March 14 will reveal how performance is close or wide between the two variants.

#41 March 2 2019

bobo619

Tech Guru wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

@bobo619

Your prespective mate.

Snapdragons have always had a slight edge on the GPU performance (10-15%) that is why you see a higher score on antutu for the SD while the Exynos have better computing and single core performance which is better for most apps since they only use single core, hence the better geekbench score for the Exynos . Do note that i find the exynos more power efficient and the samsung always tend to have their phone more optimized with their in house chip.In my experience in real life usage you will not notice the difference.The  reason we have 2 variants of the phone is because samsung cannot meet demand in relations of the chip produced so they outsource their North American phones to snapdragon and that is why samsung flagships have stuck with 15w charging QC2.0 (Exynos chips do not allow more than that) and not the snapdragon (samsung limited) QC3.0 which is much faster in order to keep the same specs across the board so customers won't have preferences. I would have personally prefered the snapdragon but wouldn't go as far to import one.. I don't think it is worth importing one from abroad but if you do make sure the model number ends with F for the unlocked version (G975"F") but you will need someone from abroad to use a local sim card for about 15 min to unlock it worldwide as you will see on the box North American sim only or middle east sim card only etc.... The only glass screen protector to work with the ultra sonic fingerprint to my knowledge is the whitestone dome one but it is out of stock roght now check :
https://youtu.be/NdU4OW-f8K8.

Last edited by bobo619 (March 2 2019)

#42 March 2 2019

Tech Guru

bobo619 wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

@bobo619

Your prespective mate.

Snapdragons have always had a slight edge on the GPU performance (10-15%) that is why you see a higher score on antutu for the SD while the Exynos have better computing and single core performance which is better for most apps since they only use single core, hence the better geekbench score for the Exynos . Do note that i find the exynos more power efficient and the samsung always tend to have their phone more optimized with their in house chip.In my experience in real life usage you will not notice the difference.The  reason we have 2 variants of the phone is because samsung cannot meet demand in relations of the chip produced so they outsource their North American phones to snapdragon and that is why samsung flagships have stuck with 15w charging QC2.0 (Exynos chips do not allow more than that) and not the snapdragon (samsung limited) QC3.0 which is much faster in order to keep the same specs across the board so customers won't have preferences. I would have personally prefered the snapdragon but wouldn't go as far to import one.. I don't think it is worth importing one from abroad but if you do make sure the model number ends with F for the unlocked version (G975"F") but you will need someone from abroad to use a local sim card for about 15 min to unlock it worldwide as you will see on the box North American sim only or middle east sim card only etc.... The only glass screen protector to work with the ultra sonic fingerprint to my knowledge is the whitestone dome one but it is out of stock roght now check :
https://youtu.be/NdU4OW-f8K8.

Perfect info mate on the difference between Snapdragon 855 /Adreno 640 vs the  Exynos 9820 / ARM's Mali-G76 . I will get it from here then.

The whitestone dome is available at Amazon , ordering to here will cost around 110 USD shipped.

The sceen protector  that comes pre-installed from Samsung on the S10 Plus  is good indeed. The 1st time Samsung does such thing for the end customer convenience. Spigen NeoFlex Screen Protector (TPU Film) I think it will work with the ultra sonic finger print. Spigen is a reputable and reliable brand. The whitestone dome, on the other hand , is the only glass screen protector that work with the senor.

At 110 USD ,I will would rather bring the official Samsung  Galaxy  S10 Plus LED View Cover  ( that comes with a white color option) or the Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus Clear View Cover , both provide a 360 degree protection and seem to be robust.

I contacted Samsung CTC showroom debayeh  , till now they do not have an official ETA of  the S10e/ S10 / S10Plus accessories , such as official covers, . Hopefully they will arrive mid of March. I am also interested in Samsung  Ear Buds (Galaxy Buds)  , very solid reviews and  better than the previous IconX.

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 2 2019)

#43 March 10 2019

Tech Guru

Pre-order Just Delivered :)

Worth It with this free bundle @1270 USD all :

Galaxy S4 Watch 46mm ~ 349 USD
Wireless Charger Duo ~ 89 USD

Stand Alone ~ 438 USD , Phone Retails now alone @ 1270 USD at Samsung Show room.

Surprised that the preorders period for  this S10plus & S10   bundle  went out  fast (in two weeks) @Samsung CTC Debayeh Show Room &  All Official Samsung CTC  Retailers.

bUotC5T.jpg
5dgJNly.jpg
mOZ29Dk.jpg
ZBhUhuZ.jpg

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 10 2019)

#44 March 13 2019

Tech Guru

New Package Now , not worth it.

The Preorder Package Worth It Much More

Galaxy S10plus 512 GB
Galaxy Watch 46mm~  349 USD
Wireless Charger Duo ~ 89 USD

All at 1270 USD

Total = USD 438

Meanwhile ,  the Galaxy Tab E 9.6" 3G ~ 180 USD with S10Plus 512 GB ~ 1299 USD.

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 13 2019)

#45 March 28 2019

Tech Guru

Sold the S10Pus Preorder Package sealed & bought the new 1TB , 12 GB Ram bundle with the Galaxy Watch 46mm.

c0QRArH.jpg
Ziidatv.jpg
1FIz4Aj.jpg
ldijs3L.jpg

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 28 2019)

#46 March 30 2019

rolf

Hi Techguru,

I agree with buying new (and expensive) tech and reselling it, it sounds like a good alternative to buying old (and cheap) tech and putting it to work until it dies, then basically you are collecting junk.

I just wonder - since you are such a fan of new tech, with the budget to go with it, how do you feel about living in Lebanon and dealing with the tech limitation in Lebanon related to the infrastructure (internet, roads, electricity)?

Last edited by rolf (March 30 2019)

#47 April 5 2019

Salloum

Buying an Android on launch is a fast way to burn money. It’ll be 600$ new in 3 months.

#48 April 5 2019

Tech Guru

Salloum wrote:

Buying an Android on launch is a fast way to burn money. It’ll be 600$ new in 3 months.

S10 plus 1TB  12GB Ram @600USD after 3 months , over exaggerated unrelated to reality claim.

S9 Plus 128GB is being Sold now @630 USD at Amhaz Stores " sort of black market giving lowest market prices".

#49 April 5 2019

Tech Guru

rolf wrote:

Hi Techguru,

I agree with buying new (and expensive) tech and reselling it, it sounds like a good alternative to buying old (and cheap) tech and putting it to work until it dies, then basically you are collecting junk.

I just wonder - since you are such a fan of new tech, with the budget to go with it, how do you feel about living in Lebanon and dealing with the tech limitation in Lebanon related to the infrastructure (internet, roads, electricity)?

Well mate , Lebanese infrastructure in weak yes & but you can enhance your life style with paying a " premium". Example , FTTH 1TB 100Mbps home internet.

#50 April 5 2019

Salloum

Tech Guru wrote:
Salloum wrote:

S10 plus 1TB  12GB Ram @600USD after 3 months , over exaggerated unrelated to reality claim.

S9 Plus 128GB is being Sold now @630 USD at Amhaz Stores " sort of black market giving lowest market prices".

Obviously not the top end model. But the 128GB should drop fast, as previous years tell us

Board footer