LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 4 2019

Toufic

Changing to SSD and replacing fan for HP envy

Are all SSD compatible with HP laptops ?

(current drive is dying out with multiple freezing and failure)

#2 April 4 2019

duke-of-bytes

Re: Changing to SSD and replacing fan for HP envy

Yes your envy can support any ssd sata..it may support m2 as well (lots of laptops do have m2 slot nowadays)

#3 April 4 2019

Elitism Guru

If this is coming from early 2010s, I would dump it before facing mobo failures. Did a similar mistake with a 2nd gen Intel envy, investing in ssd's and ram till its death less than a year later.

#4 April 4 2019

duke-of-bytes

Elitism Guru wrote:

If this is coming from early 2010s, I would dump it before facing mobo failures. Did a similar mistake with a 2nd gen Intel envy, investing in ssd's and ram till its death less than a year later.

Im using sata ssd on pentium 2 ( 5 machines ) running windows xp but with AHCI capable
I use the samsung toolbox to schedule TRIM as it lacks support

But yes is the laptop is more than 5 years old , i wouldn't bother with it

#5 April 5 2019

Toufic

It's an HP Envy 15-k002ne

I think it's a second generation (?)

As for the fan, any other fan would work right ?

Thank you for all your inputs

#6 April 5 2019

duke-of-bytes

the HP Envy 15-k002ne has an  i7-4510U  , it should be decent enough with an fast ssd - if the laptop conditions are ok then go for it
as for the fan any fan should in theory work , sensors mine not work though : what you can do is change only the fan with the same type and not the entire caddy

#7 April 5 2019

rolf

If you can get m2 and it's compatible it's like 10 times faster.

#8 April 5 2019

duke-of-bytes

rolf wrote:

If you can get m2 and it's compatible it's like 10 times faster.

it does not have an m2 slot - some might have msata but i wont waste my time on it - get a decent samsung sata and it should be enough .. you will feel the speed

#9 April 5 2019

Toufic

Got to love this forum

Appreciate everyone's input and i'll look for a Samsung sata then

Thanks again

#10 May 1 2019

Ari

please when you buy your ssd, tell us where you got it from and for how much, including your satisfaction, as i am looking to upgrade my hdd to ssd

#11 May 1 2019

duke-of-bytes

Ari wrote:

please when you buy your ssd, tell us where you got it from and for how much, including your satisfaction, as i am looking to upgrade my hdd to ssd

What is your laptop/desktop ? It would be better to add few dollars and get an nvme ssd instead of sata if your mobo supports it

But even with a regular 2.5 inch sata ssd you will feel a big difference

#12 May 1 2019

Ari

my laptop does not support NVME :( i have a lenovo g50 80 i7 5500u , 8gb ram and a very slow hdd, i think its 5400rpm. the main reason i want to switch is that i will be installing windows 10 and i know the computer will be very slow then. and to save a bit more battery, at first i wanted to do a hybrid combination as o.s will be on ssd and the rest on hdd, but it seems my laptop has a slot for 1 drive so i am forced with a larger ssd

#13 May 1 2019

Toufic

Ari wrote:

Hey Ari,

As i was about to do the switch, i found something online regarding the 100% usage of my disk space and it was related to a series of windows functions that got enabled after an update.

Once i disabled them, did a clean up of my hard drive (move everything to backup and run a couple of software) the laptop got back to its usual speed ( i got 16gb RAM and an i7)
Plus since i don't do any gaming and i purely use it for research / media use, never went along with the switch.

However, a lot of people on this forum a well as other blogs testified the huge change once they switched to SSD.

My advice is to ask Lenovo support for optimal substitute.
I contacted HP and they told me some of the suggested ones i was told about would have failed (though much appreciated the feedback, this forum is my favorite) and there were only 2 verified and tested SSD that would have served long term for this old laptop.

Good luck dude

#14 May 1 2019

Ari

Toufic wrote:
Ari wrote:

I contacted HP and they told me some of the suggested ones i was told about would have failed (though much appreciated the feedback, this forum is my favorite) and there were only 2 verified and tested SSD that would have served long term for this old laptop.

Good luck dude

how can i ask for their support ? and please can you elaborate more about failing ssds

#15 May 1 2019

duke-of-bytes

Any sata ssd 2.5 inch will work.
Current ssds are way more stable than before even better than hdd
A cheap kingston a400 480GB costs around 50$ and has a 160TB of TBW( total byte written) ..i doubt you will use it that much
It will revive your machine and make it feels as new

#16 May 1 2019

Ari

no kingstons as they tend to get slower by time, i want to buy samsung qvo 650 or samsung evo 650 (if i ever discover their differences). 1 tb for 150$ from samsung usa as i don't trust our Lebanese market. they might be refurbished or Chinese knock offs and How do I know if I need an adapter for the Ssd to fit in my laptop? Can someone help me with that?

Last edited by Ari (May 1 2019)

#17 May 2 2019

duke-of-bytes

Ari wrote:

no kingstons as they tend to get slower by time, i want to buy samsung qvo 650 or samsung evo 650 (if i ever discover their differences). 1 tb for 150$ from samsung usa as i don't trust our Lebanese market. they might be refurbished or Chinese knock offs and How do I know if I need an adapter for the Ssd to fit in my laptop? Can someone help me with that?

1- most if not all if the SSD sold by reputable Lebanese sellers are authentic
2-a 2.5 ssd sata will fit in your laptop - nothing else is need
3-kingstons tend to get slower by time ?! this only happens if too much cells are damaged or dying - it is a TLC not like the QVO that is a QLC
SLC : 1 cell per layer
MLC  : 2 cells per layer
TLC : 3 cells per layer
QLC : 4 cells per layer

SLC>MLC>TLC>QLC

also of course the controller and cache works ..
the evo 860 is good ..even the QVO is good ..evo is TLC .. QVO is QLC

SSD is a gift given to us mortals compared to regular mechanical HDD

#18 May 2 2019

Toufic

Ari wrote:
Toufic wrote:
Ari wrote:

Good luck dude

how can i ask for their support ? and please can you elaborate more about failing ssds

I guess Lenovo must have some technical / community support
https://support.lenovo.com/au/en

Just make an account first and post your question "what ssd would be most compatible with my (inset laptop version/series) ?"

And by failing ssds, hp support mentioned that some might fail with the hardware i had meanwhile the ones they provided work perfectly as they have been tested by Hp themselves on my particular laptop

Board footer