LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 12 2019

NuclearVision

Mineral oil

Hello everyone!

Any idea where i can get some mineral oil, plain mineral oil? The laxative stuff, it's super widely available anywhere on earth. I tried 12 pharmacies today and literally they never heard of it, and no it's not castor oil.

thanks

#2 March 12 2019

rolf

Re: Mineral oil

What do you mean plain mineral oil? What is it extracted from?

#3 March 12 2019

NuclearVision

i think it's byproduct of petroleum peocessing, but it's harmless and it's used as a laxative. By plain I mean Not Baby oil which is the same thing with perfume

#4 March 12 2019

eWizzard

You're talking about paraffin oil, aka huile de paraffine. A 240 ml bottle costs about 4,000 LL and should be available at most pharmacies. If you're struggling to find it, you can give the local manufacturer a call.

#5 March 13 2019

nuclearcat

Maybe castor oil will do better?

#6 March 13 2019

NuclearVision

nuclearcat wrote:

Maybe castor oil will do better?

Prefer mineral: tasteless oderless and inert

#7 March 13 2019

NuclearVision

eWizzard wrote:

You're talking about paraffin oil, aka huile de paraffine. A 240 ml bottle costs about 4,000 LL and should be available at most pharmacies. If you're struggling to find it, you can give the local manufacturer a call.

thanks  i kind of imagined it had different name.
Do you know the brand name? I mean the exact bottle name, apparently that's what most pharmacists wanted to hear.

Last edited by NuclearVision (March 13 2019)

#8 March 13 2019

NuclearVision

followup: I went to the first pharmacy on my way, and asked for 'huile de paraffine', the pharmacist said yes sure we have it.
I was aware that mineral oil is also called liquid paraffine, but it never crossed my mind to ask for paraffine, thanks ewiz!

#9 March 13 2019

rolf

Good! I'm glad you found mineral oil in a pharmacy.

#10 March 13 2019

NuclearVision

rolf wrote:

Ok to make you feel better i'm not using this for my constipation, i'm working on a project and this thing which is food grade works wonders on some parts(hinges, etc.) that need lubrication. Without all that Wd40 sticky mess.

Thanks!

#11 March 13 2019

eWizzard

Liquid paraffin is flammable though, so keep that in mind if you think your project has a fire risk. In that case, I would use silicone oil instead, which you'll most likely find in hardware stores.

#12 March 13 2019

NuclearVision

i will keep that in mind thanks. Actually i went to a couple of hardware stores asking for a light oil that doesn't catch dust and gummify, they just carry wd40 knockoffs, so i can imagine the look on the man face when i tell him i need silicone oil.

#13 March 13 2019

rolf

NuclearVision wrote:
rolf wrote:

Ok to make you feel better i'm not using this for my constipation, i'm working on a project and this thing which is food grade works wonders on some parts(hinges, etc.) that need lubrication

It makes sense, I think that mineral oil also lubricates car engines. I was going to suggest you try a little engine oil if you are desperate.

Board footer