LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 26 2019

Isa Al

I bought an iPhone, but the shop didn't pay the import tarrifs

Hello, I have bought a new iPhone back in September from Amhaz and I received almost 25 days ago an SMS from the ministry of finance saying my phone's import tariffs aren't paid, and I have to pay within 30 days at Libanpost or the phone will be disconnected from service.

I called the shop, and they said they will call the Ministry of finance and check the matter and I rest assured. A few weeks ago, I received the same message saying I have 7 more days to pay, until Friday. I called the shop again and they said the ministry of finance is sending the SMS by mistake because of an error in their system and everything is fine and if the phone is locked they give me a new one.

However, one guy in the store said that the shop didn't pay the tariffs, but the phone won't get disconnected because the new law came into place in October, and I bought the phone in September.

So I am confused who to believe, what do you think should I do? and let's say the phone is disconnected, what will happen? just not being able to use the 3G/calls or can't even use the wifi or what will happen? I never faced such issue and I don't wanna lose my data if it gets locked.

#2 February 26 2019

Aly

Re: I bought an iPhone, but the shop didn't pay the import tarrifs

Well Amhaz is just running a shady business here so I wouldnt take their word ... i would just wait and see what will happen when the 30 days are over, then you will know if Amhaz employees are lying or not.
On the other hand in case you get disconnected from the network you will still be able to use all your phone features like wifi / apps / camera etc ... but it will just not conmect to the carrier network (alfa or mtc).

#3 February 27 2019

Johnaudi

Weird, never had any issues with Amhaz being their customer for the past 4 years. (bought 4 different iPhones)

Once my iPhone 7 went very slow and sluggish, all I did was give it to them and they provided me with a brand new one two years ago.

#4 February 28 2019

chosen2k

Report the shop

#5 February 28 2019

duke-of-bytes

i still don't understand why techies still buy from a shady place like Amhaz .. support the smaller shops .. support the legal shops !

#6 February 28 2019

Johnaudi

duke-of-bytes wrote:

i still don't understand why techies still buy from a shady place like Amhaz .. support the smaller shops .. support the legal shops !

I would definitely support smaller shops if the price difference wasn't too big! If I'm getting the same product for cheaper then why bother?

#7 March 1 2019

duke-of-bytes

Johnaudi wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

I would definitely support smaller shops if the price difference wasn't too big! If I'm getting the same product for cheaper then why bother?

technically it is not the same product :
1- they don't pay the correct taxes
2-it is not made for your country/area
3-support is shady at best

a 30-40$ difference at max is nothing

#8 March 1 2019

chosen2k

My friend purchased an iPhone from Amhaz brand new with the seal.
It worked for a while and then began to restart randomly. The seller told him to reset etc.. and try again bla bla.

While he was in Dubai, he went to an official apple store and they replaced the device since it was still under warranty and there was no damage. BUT they informed him that the device previously belonged to another person. He got lucky since he replaced it for free. IMO, I wouldn't recommend purchasing a device without an official distributor in Lebanon.

Additionally I would personally report any shop If I got sold a device and I have to pay import tariffs.

#9 March 1 2019

Jerome

Johnaudi wrote:

Because it is illegal and you are supporting illegal institutions and the corrupt person providing cover for it with your money.

#10 March 1 2019

Isa Al

Well, the issue just ended today. The phone got locked and disconnected from the service, I called the shop and they were still saying I am lying and I didn't buy the phone from them and they blamed the delivery guy that he replaced the phone on the way to my address because I got the phone as a delivery.

The shop refused to pay anything or say that the phone is bought from them, even though a couple of weeks ago I called the shop and a guy checked the IMEI number and confirmed that I bought them a phone from them and they pad the import fees, I even have the call and voice notes.

At the end, the delivery guy said they threw the blame on him and he will pay the import fees from his own pocket, and then we ended up dividing the import fees and I paid half and he paid around 50% as well of the $250 fees at Libanpost.

I bought several phones from Amhaz before, but this is the first time I face such issues, and it's not encouraging for me to buy from them again even though at the end I couldn't even know who to blame them or their delivery guy.

Anywaysm thanks for your replies guys!

#11 March 1 2019

Johnaudi

Jerome wrote:
Johnaudi wrote:

Because it is illegal and you are supporting illegal institutions and the corrupt person providing cover for it with your money.

As a consumer, that really doesn't bother me as long as I'm getting the same product, and I am not doing anything illegal as I have purchased my phone from the shop itself, it's not my problem whether they are paying their taxes or not. I'm not defending them or anything, but I've personally never had issues with them as they got me a new phone when mine was defective.

Smaller shops get their phones from Amhaz and add an extra +-100$ to them (having a shop owner friend), whereas the official distributed has a price difference of more than 200$ at times. I'm talking about iPhones, I do not know about other brands and their respective pricing.

Last edited by Johnaudi (March 1 2019)

#12 March 1 2019

xazbrat

Isa Al wrote:

Well, the issue just ended today. The phone got locked and disconnected from the service, I called the shop and they were still saying I am lying and I didn't buy the phone from them and they blamed the delivery guy that he replaced the phone on the way to my address because I got the phone as a delivery.

The shop refused to pay anything or say that the phone is bought from them, even though a couple of weeks ago I called the shop and a guy checked the IMEI number and confirmed that I bought them a phone from them and they pad the import fees, I even have the call and voice notes.

At the end, the delivery guy said they threw the blame on him and he will pay the import fees from his own pocket, and then we ended up dividing the import fees and I paid half and he paid around 50% as well of the $250 fees at Libanpost.

I bought several phones from Amhaz before, but this is the first time I face such issues, and it's not encouraging for me to buy from them again even though at the end I couldn't even know who to blame them or their delivery guy.

That's unfortunate--and you probably ended up paying as much or more for the phone had you bought it from more a reputable source.  I know many lebanese are price sensitive and that is why places like this exist--sometimes you get a good deal, but other times this happens.  Sorry it happened to you---next time walk into the store when there are lots of people and create a scene--maybe you could have gotten it solved in a more beneficial manner.

#13 March 1 2019

Isa Al

xazbrat wrote:
Isa Al wrote:

That's unfortunate--and you probably ended up paying as much or more for the phone had you bought it from more a reputable source.  I know many lebanese are price sensitive and that is why places like this exist--sometimes you get a good deal, but other times this happens.  Sorry it happened to you---next time walk into the store when there are lots of people and create a scene--maybe you could have gotten it solved in a more beneficial manner.

I bought the phone back in September, the big Apple stores like iStyle or Adkom didn't have the phone until like late October or so that's why I got from Amhaz.

I never had any issues like that or imagined I would face such issues and what I knew before that Amhaz is a good and big store.

I am not gonna big big trouble from it and go to the shop, I don't even have the time to be honest and I live so far. It's just a lesson I guess.

#14 March 2 2019

Jerome

Johnaudi wrote:

As a consumer, that really doesn't bother me as long as I'm getting the same product, and I am not doing anything illegal as I have purchased my phone from the shop itself, it's not my problem whether they are paying their taxes or not. I'm not defending them or anything, but I've personally never had issues with them as they got me a new phone when mine was defective.

Smaller shops get their phones from Amhaz and add an extra +-100$ to them (having a shop owner friend), whereas the official distributed has a price difference of more than 200$ at times. I'm talking about iPhones, I do not know about other brands and their respective pricing.

Yes it is not your problem unfortunately. But it is my problem, because 4 million Lebanese who pay their taxes, will pay for that 100$ difference. You owe me, and everybody else 0.0375LL.

#15 March 2 2019

eWizzard

There should be a new forum policy. If you buy from Amhaz (or any other shady business for that matter) and something goes wrong, you don't get to complain about it on LebGeeks.

Last edited by eWizzard (March 2 2019)

#16 March 2 2019

duke-of-bytes

eWizzard wrote:

There should be a new forum policy. If you buy from Amhaz (or any other shady business for that matter) and something goes wrong, you don't get to complain about it on LebGeeks.

all amhaz posts should be removed and just a warning notice should be stickied : AMHAZ IS NOT LEGAL !

#17 March 2 2019

Isa Al

eWizzard wrote:

duke-of-bytes wrote:
eWizzard wrote:

all amhaz posts should be removed and just a warning notice should be stickied : AMHAZ IS NOT LEGAL !

I never knew about Amhaz if it's legal or not, I know about it from social media and from friends who buy from the shop.

#18 March 2 2019

infiniteloop

I recommend phonefinity, the guy is very honest, his prices are as low as you can get and he gives you the choice with or without official warranty

#19 March 2 2019

duke-of-bytes

infiniteloop wrote:

I recommend phonefinity, the guy is very honest, his prices are as low as you can get and he gives you the choice with or without official warranty

i had very bad experience with this guy .. i do not recommend him as he doesnt honor his warranty

Last edited by duke-of-bytes (March 30 2019)

#20 March 2 2019

beezer

I've tried phonefinity twice and found them to have competitive prices.

Never had a warranty issue though so don't know about after sales support.

#21 March 2 2019

chosen2k

Doesn't matter if the place is legal or not. Posts like these should remain for visibility. Then people can make their own decisions
About the delivery guy swapping the phone I bet he is in on the game. The shop just made a 50% on the customs of a phone and the best part is he did notnget reported

#22 March 30 2019

duke-of-bytes

beezer wrote:

I've tried phonefinity twice and found them to have competitive prices.

Never had a warranty issue though so don't know about after sales support.

Price wise is similar to other dealers like CTC - he doesnt pay any TVA

Board footer