LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 March 29 2018

Ziad87

Re: Moving to Canada Process

thegodfatherdany wrote:

Recent draws targeted applicants who entered the pool between a certain duration of time which is quite short. What if someone applied last October and is still in the pool? Will he ever get a chance to be picked?

From what I understand (though I haven't read much about it), the only new change in the draw system is the addition of the date/time that is only applicable to the lowest selected score.

So for example, from before they would say anybody with a score of 441 points would get an ITA. Now they also added a date-time parameter to the score. So in the new draw they can say anybody with a score of 439 points on or before March 2, 2018 12:00pm will get an ITA. This means that any score above 439 is immediately eligible for an ITA. However, for candidates with exactly 439 points, then only the ones who applied on or before the specified date will get an ITA.

They did this change so they can have more control over the number of ITAs issued. For example, if they select a score of 442 and only 1,000 candidates meet that score but they want to invite 1,100 candidates then they must lower the score. In some cases, lowering the score meant inviting more candidates than their target since naturally there are more candidates with lower scores in the pool.

So to answer your question, a candidate that stays longer in the pool has in fact a better chance of getting an ITA over newer candidates with the same exact score.

#52 March 30 2018

thegodfatherdany

Thanks Ziad87 for the info. My brother is in the pool with a 441 score since around October. Draws were almost 1 point or 2 more as average. A friend told him if he gets a 5/10 on the French exam which you can register for at ESA here can give you around 50 points if i remember right? Is that right?
Let's say he got a total score of 480. It is also possible to stay in the pool for long and not get picked saying the minimum for the draw was 445?

#53 March 30 2018

Ziad87

thegodfatherdany wrote:

Thanks Ziad87 for the info. My brother is in the pool with a 441 score since around October. Draws were almost 1 point or 2 more as average. A friend told him if he gets a 5/10 on the French exam which you can register for at ESA here can give you around 50 points if i remember right? Is that right?
Let's say he got a total score of 480. It is also possible to stay in the pool for long and not get picked saying the minimum for the draw was 445?

Not sure about the exact point breakdown for the French exam. You can try this calculator to get more info. It's definitely helpful to do the French exam. Even a few points can be very helpful.

As for recreating the profile and having a newer application submission date, your brother shouldn't worry since even a single point will make the date/time factor irrelevant! Remember, the date the application was created only matters for the minimum score. It only serves as some kind of tie breaker. So in your example, if the minimum score for the draw is 445, then if your brother has 446 points he will be selected. In that case, the date of application creation doesn't matter. It would only matter if he had 445 points.

#54 April 1 2018

ali_m3

thegodfatherdany wrote:

I think yes there are some bonus points if you had a certain level of score on French combining it with certain level of English. This is what the site says"

Scored NCLC 7 or higher on all four French language skills and scored CLB 5 or higher on all four English skills    (+30 points)

Yet I think 441 is a good score already and I believe your brother should have good chances in the next draw or the next few ones. The date of joining (October) only serves as a tie breaker in case the minimum CRS is 441. Ziad87 already gave an example. Last draw CRS was 446 and if a draw happens next Wednesday it should come down by some 5 points I believe. If within 2 months he doesn't get invited then I think he should go for French test.

#55 April 1 2018

thegodfatherdany

Draws of this year were very close to 441 so he will proceed to do the French exam. In this way, he can guarantee he can get an invitation the soonest. From what i understand from earlier posts, nobody with a score of higher than the min score will stay in the pool right?

#56 April 1 2018

ali_m3

The lowest score this year was 442, so he was very close. But I can be certain it will go down. If a draw happens in 3 days, there is a good chance it will go down to 440 or slightly lower.

Anyone who has a score above the minimum CRS in a certain draw will get an ITA and will be automatically removed from the pool (unless this person declines ITA for any reason).

Last edited by ali_m3 (April 1 2018)

#57 December 13 2018

ali_m3

@hybrid  @ziad87   or anyone who applied through express entry

Hi Guys,

Reactivating this thread - last time I posted was in April

So I got my ITA earlier this year and submitted my online application (AOR, May 28th). 6 months passed, still with no PPR.

I ordered GCMS notes and noted that I was selected for security screening - this has been ongoing for the past 4 months or so. Everything else is completed.

Though I am not surprised that someone with Lebanese passport will undergo extensive security screening, I was wondering if you guys faced the same delay with your application. Express entry promises 6 months standard processing time, yet I have seen some cases go way beyond that.

Thanks

#58 December 13 2018

Hybrid

ali_m3 wrote:

@hybrid  @ziad87   or anyone who applied through express entry

Hi Guys,

Reactivating this thread - last time I posted was in April

So I got my ITA earlier this year and submitted my online application (AOR, May 28th). 6 months passed, still with no PPR.

I ordered GCMS notes and noted that I was selected for security screening - this has been ongoing for the past 4 months or so. Everything else is completed.

Though I am not surprised that someone with Lebanese passport will undergo extensive security screening, I was wondering if you guys faced the same delay with your application. Express entry promises 6 months standard processing time, yet I have seen some cases go way beyond that.

Thanks

Mine took around 4-5 months, I think it's close :)

#59 December 13 2018

Ziad87

ali_m3, it took me a bit less than one and a half years. Lots of Lebanese applicants are also delayed this much. Typically it's 7-18 months to get PPR.

#60 December 15 2018

ali_m3

Thanks guys.

Keeping hopes high, though the waiting game is tough!

#61 December 20 2018

sarine

Hi,

Your posts are very helpful. But I'm confused about the education degree
Should I send my bachelor degree and technical baccalaureate to WES? or just the bachelor?

#62 December 20 2018

Hybrid

sarine wrote:

Hi,

Your posts are very helpful. But I'm confused about the education degree
Should I send my bachelor degree and technical baccalaureate to WES? or just the bachelor?

you don't need to send the BT if you have a uni degree. If you have bachelor and masters, you have to send both.

#63 December 20 2018

sarine

Great
Thank you

#64 December 20 2018

ali_m3

You generally send the highest degree. In my case, i have an MBA so i only sent that and got attested for it. I didn’t send my BA.

#65 December 24 2018

ziadomran

Hello there,
I am thinking about moving to Canada. After talking to an immigration consultant, reading many forums online and checking this thread, I still believe that I am clueless on the process of application, but I have come to these conclusions (Please feel free to correct a misconception or a false information):

1- Applying as an international student is not an effective way to live in Canada since it could cost me a fortune and there is no guarantee I would get a job and a PR after graduating.
2- Basically there is no way for me to get a job offer from Canada since they would rather have a Canadian citizen apply to that job.
3- My best bet is to apply to an Express Entry.

I haven't gathered the required documents yet since I am not 100% sure what are the required documents.
•I have a degree (BS) from university. Should I send my "certificate" or translate it or send it to WES?
•I have 1 year 9 months experience working in a family owned business on the managerial level. Does it qualify as a Federal Skilled Work? Moreover does it count as 1 year work experience or 2 years work experience?
•I will soon take the TEF and IELTS general. I know that I have to apply for the IELTS in the British Council, but I still have no idea where I should apply for the TEF. Any information about the location and cost would be appreciated.

Am I missing a document? Am I missing something? I am sorry if I came like asking you to spoon-feed me information but I am honestly clueless and in need of help.

#66 December 24 2018

ali_m3

If your degree is in Arabic, you need to have it translated. Do note however that WES requires your university to send directly to them in order to process your evaluation. Go to WES website and follow the steps to register and apply

Wait 3 months and you will claim for 2 years. Not sure about family business, maybe the consultant can advise.

For TEF https://www.lefrancaisdesaffaires.fr/en/centres/liban/
I think its some $400

#67 December 24 2018

ziadomran

My degree is in French and Arabic. However my grades are all in French.
The consultant said that as long as I can provide proof that I was actually getting paid to do the job, I am on the safe side.

#68 December 25 2018

Hybrid

I did the TEF like 3 years ago, it was in ESA next to AUB, it cost around $250 if I remember correctly

I think you will have to translate your degree

#69 February 18 2019

yageorge

Hello,
I've studied at Cortbawi technical school Adma, got graduated and my official certificate was issued from the ministry of education and not Cortbawi, and it is a bit confusing to follow the standard procedure described at WES, since my studies took place in one place yet my certificate was issued from another, WES requests an Academic transcript aside from the degree certificate;
1. I have a TS (technical superior) degree certificate, technical school is listed somewhere at canada.ca as acceptable, has anyone been able to validate this degree and did it really help being a good Higher Education certificate?

2. Should I be requesting the academic transcript from Cortbawi or the ministry of Education?
You guys know, if this can be done through Cortbawi that would be easy as they are available and they would easily assist, comparing to ask such a thing from I don't know what department in the ministry of Education ...

2. I contacted Cortbawi and they offered different documents, which of the following is required aside from the Official certificate given by the ministry:
a- educational certificate, that just states that I've studied and completed 3 years at Cortbawi and I passed successfully my studies
b- detailed grades per year, that lists every material and my grades for each, for 3 years
Both type of documents (a-b) are prepared by Cortbawi institute, and has to be official stamped by the ministry of Education

3. All of these documents are in french or Arabic, they should be all translated to English and handled by a sworn translator correct?

#70 February 19 2019

Hybrid

yageorge wrote:

Hello,
I've studied at Cortbawi technical school Adma, got graduated and my official certificate was issued from the ministry of education and not Cortbawi, and it is a bit confusing to follow the standard procedure described at WES, since my studies took place in one place yet my certificate was issued from another, WES requests an Academic transcript aside from the degree certificate;
1. I have a TS (technical superior) degree certificate, technical school is listed somewhere at canada.ca as acceptable, has anyone been able to validate this degree and did it really help being a good Higher Education certificate?

2. Should I be requesting the academic transcript from Cortbawi or the ministry of Education?
You guys know, if this can be done through Cortbawi that would be easy as they are available and they would easily assist, comparing to ask such a thing from I don't know what department in the ministry of Education ...

2. I contacted Cortbawi and they offered different documents, which of the following is required aside from the Official certificate given by the ministry:
a- educational certificate, that just states that I've studied and completed 3 years at Cortbawi and I passed successfully my studies
b- detailed grades per year, that lists every material and my grades for each, for 3 years
Both type of documents (a-b) are prepared by Cortbawi institute, and has to be official stamped by the ministry of Education

3. All of these documents are in french or Arabic, they should be all translated to English and handled by a sworn translator correct?

1- Not sure about technical schools, but I guess it should be the same as universities. If it's the same as universities, then you only need to contact Cortbawi, if I remember correctly they should send a sealed transcript to WES, and you should send a stamped copy of the ceritifcate. In my case, AUST charged me for DHL shipping for the transcripts, and I paid Aramex to ship my certificate

2- Your "b" sounds like the transcript that WES needs

3- French is acceptable as far as I remember, Arabic must be translated

#71 February 28 2019

Guitaret

Hello, I have 3 questions/issues about applying to Canada Express Entry, the skilled worker program. I am sorry if this was mentioned before but here we go:

- The French test:
I was confused from some forms on canada.ca as I have the option not to have a secondary language (N/A), and so is it mandatory to take the French test? Who decides if English is your first official language or French? If so, which french test you recommend to take here in Lebanon?

-The English test:
Which one do you recommend to take here in Lebanon? And is it valid for 2 years as mentioned in the forms?

-Online profile:
Will it help in entering the pool sooner by filling a profile even before I take the tests and get all the documents ready?

Thank you

Last edited by Guitaret (February 28 2019)

#72 April 13 2020

Draguen

Hey guys,

So I guess it's my turn to emigrate ?

Long story short: I had no plans to emigrate. I had a small promising start-up with a few $ on the side in Lebanon and was taking vacation in Canada to see a now-ex-girlfriend when the Thawra began. I went from hopeful at the beginning of the Thawra to despaired when i understood that most businesses will crash and burn (including mine) and there's nothing to do about it due to the situation that our politicians and banks left us in.

So i passed my GMAT at the end of February and applied to a Uni in Montreal using my french passport (the french citizenship gives reduced university rates in Quebec), I just received my acceptance letter and i'm starting to work on my papers.

I remember reading here that Lebanese had a Whatsapp group for people landing in Canada with no family / limited resources but I can't find it anywhere.

Also if any of the old Lebgeekers that actually went to Canada have a few tips and pro tricks, I'd love to hear them.

on the other hand, if any of you guys want more details about the papers and everything that I had to do to apply, please let me know.

I try to see this as a "sign from the universe": I always wanted to do an MBA but never seriously considered leaving Lebanon, despite being born and raised in France.

Last edited by Draguen (April 13 2020)

#73 April 13 2020

rolf

Do you know for sure that Lebanese applicant need more processing time than say the ones applying from Europe?

The delays may due to the Covid pandemic...

ziadomran wrote:

2- Basically there is no way for me to get a job offer from Canada since they would rather have a Canadian citizen apply to that job.

Who told you that or how did you get to this conclusion?
It's wrong they are hiring foreigners and doing formalities.

However you may have to go to hiring events in Europe for example. I don't think there are any recruitment events for Canada in Lebanon.

Also the virus pandemic may have a negative impact on the economy but we'll have to see how it turns out.

#74 April 13 2020

Adnan

Draguen wrote:

Hey guys,

So I guess it's my turn to emigrate ?

Long story short: I had no plans to emigrate. I had a small promising start-up with a few $ on the side in Lebanon and was taking vacation in Canada to see a now-ex-girlfriend when the Thawra began. I went from hopeful at the beginning of the Thawra to despaired when i understood that most businesses will crash and burn (including mine) and there's nothing to do about it due to the situation that our politicians and banks left us in.

So i passed my GMAT at the end of February and applied to a Uni in Montreal using my french passport (the french citizenship gives reduced university rates in Quebec), I just received my acceptance letter and i'm starting to work on my papers.

I remember reading here that Lebanese had a Whatsapp group for people landing in Canada with no family / limited resources but I can't find it anywhere.

Also if any of the old Lebgeekers that actually went to Canada have a few tips and pro tricks, I'd love to hear them.

on the other hand, if any of you guys want more details about the papers and everything that I had to do to apply, please let me know.

I try to see this as a "sign from the universe": I always wanted to do an MBA but never seriously considered leaving Lebanon, despite being born and raised in France.

Sorry nothing to answer. I was just wondering why did you choose Canada over France or the EU in general?

#75 April 13 2020

Draguen

Long story short ? For me France and especially Paris is depressing.

it's a multi-sided choice: I never really liked northern Europe, everything is grey (sidewalks, buildings, weather, people). I know it might sound stupid but it really had an impact on my mental health.  Plus I need daily social interactions and stupid smiles being  randomly exchanged with strangers (ask me how i'm doing during the quarantine).

I never liked what the French call the "Metro, Boulot, Dodo" (Metro, Work, Sleep) lifestyle. When you combine that with the fact that I need space, in the sense that European Cities can be overcrowded with a super high density and no escape escape from it, compare that to Montreal or Beirut where I randomly jump in my car and go on road trips to batroun or faraya to take a breath.

From a university standpoint, Europe has great universities but "compatible" countries that include good universities and possibilities of getting a job aren't that many if you don't speak the language, so there go Spain and Italy.

Montreal, to my surprise, has approximately twice as many sunny days as Paris (yes I googled it). When you combine that with the fact that their lifestyle (culturally wise) and "overall happiness" are closer to what i'm looking for, well it starts to shift the balance. Furthermore the Quebecois government "heavily" subsidise French students, I'll pay exactly as much as a Quebecois resident (even less that a Canadian citizen not residing in Quebec) for an excellent level of teaching and the reputation that goes with it.

As an example, HEC Paris is 70000 euros for an MBA, HEC Montreal is about 7000$ if you're French. Granted it's not as prestigious, but it doesn't justify a 900% increase if you're self financing(for the sake of easiness, i didn't take into consideration the difference in money value).

Add to the fact that you have a better purchasing power in Canada vs France and most European countries, as well as a lower unemployment rate (pre-corona). I could also go into what I see as a better more relaxed work culture / work relationship in Canada than in France, but I might be wrong here since I've never worked in Canada.

Finally, I really enjoyed Montréal and I like an adventure, I believe that as a French-Lebanese I can have an added value compared to locals without being discriminated because I do speak the local language.
In France i'd just be another French, In another European Country i'd be at a disadvantage because i don't speak the local language.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Draguen (April 14 2020)

Board footer