LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 January 14 2019

infiniteloop

Re: New Phone Jomrok / Customs duty in Lebanon

When I bought the oneplus 6t the ministry of telecom sent an sms saying that my model was not recognized or else I would have 90 days to pay the customs, so in other words as long as the 6T is not recognized by Libanpost the 90 days are not triggered?

#27 January 14 2019

AVOlio

infiniteloop wrote:

When I bought the oneplus 6t the ministry of telecom sent an sms saying that my model was not recognized or else I would have 90 days to pay the customs, so in other words as long as the 6T is not recognized by Libanpost the 90 days are not triggered?

Bro your 90 days are triggered.
If this law is indeed in effect, you cannot use your sim on the phone after 90 days.

#28 January 14 2019

infiniteloop

AVOlio wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

Bro your 90 days are triggered.
If this law is indeed in effect, you cannot use your sim on the phone after 90 days.

How can I pay if they don't have it in the database?

#29 January 14 2019

AVOlio

You need to go pay In order for them to put your imei in the database of customs paid.

#30 January 15 2019

Salloum

Has anyone with a rooted Android tried to change their IMEI to see if the network can be tricked?

#31 January 15 2019

infiniteloop

AVOlio wrote:

You need to go pay In order for them to put your imei in the database of customs paid.

The sms said they didn't recognized the model even though they said it's a Oneplus 6T and what is my IMEI
Can I pay in 2 months and half my customs due while it's not listed?
And anyway to know how many days left?

Last edited by infiniteloop (January 15 2019)

#32 January 15 2019

AVOlio

infiniteloop wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

The sms said they didn't recognized the model even though they said it's a Oneplus 6T and what is my IMEI

Bro share a picture or write what exactly the sms said both in Arabic and English.

#33 January 15 2019

Salloum

infiniteloop wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

I think you may have to go pay somewhere else than Libanpost. The actual customs. Its near or in the airport. I know very little about this so maybe someone else can share detailed info

#34 January 15 2019

infiniteloop

AVOlio wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

Bro share a picture or write what exactly the sms said both in Arabic and English.

Here you go
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PjNrc … tGcjq_47wN

#35 January 15 2019

AVOlio

As I suspected.
Customs are not paid for yiur device. You need to pay it, otherwise you won't be able to use your sim on it after 90 days.

I don't know if liban post has any information about this, last time I called them about the same issue with my op5t, they said they still do not have any info about the thing so they cannot accept payments yet.
Theres a thread here which explains how to pay the customs by visiting the airport and the mot in downtown, check that out.

Also, if the seller told you that customs have been paid for your phone, I suggest you contact him and tell him about this.

#36 January 16 2019

zahi_k

So, I've been living outside Lebanon, Paid for my phone with Taxes in USA. now, by relocating to Lebanon, I have to re-pay for the tax? it's a used 2 years old phone.

#37 January 16 2019

infiniteloop

So if Libanpost doesn't update their list I will have to go to customs in Riad el Solh?
Any particular paper to bring or they will just do a search on the internet to see the price of the phone and calculate the customs due?

#38 January 17 2019

wollyka

You cannot pay in Libapost just yet. My friend bought an iPhone XR from a retailer and received the same SMS. Libanpost was not able to help since they still don't have the "system" for payments!!
The seller was contacted and he said that he already paid the customs and he will solve the issue. So we are waiting..

#39 January 17 2019

infiniteloop

Ministry of telecoms should have prepare this whole Libanpost system before starting this very badly made law.
They should pause this law till they update the ''system'', btw they have to continuously update it because prices drop

#40 January 18 2019

wollyka

This law was put so they can make purchasing cheaper phones from abroad harder for the consumers and they are nailing this. Noew you have to buy from local importers with higher prices.

#41 January 19 2019

infiniteloop

wollyka wrote:

This law was put so they can make purchasing cheaper phones from abroad harder for the consumers and they are nailing this. Noew you have to buy from local importers with higher prices.

I understand it's for protecting local importers (not shops who sold 10x without this law) but at least they should make everything ready before starting it, like an access to all prices and models at Libanpost in the technology world, not only samsung,apple and huawei. This country is making laws that make us return 100 years in the past like the paypal law that is considered as ''dangerous'' for local banks (that are making billions of $ each year btw)

Last edited by infiniteloop (January 19 2019)

#42 January 19 2019

xerxes

someone is making big money out of this, not only importers.
the ones who implemente the system as well and the ones behind him.

but again, we still nag about every single issue without doing anything about it. all of this are the symptoms of a corrupt system. we will keep seeing it again...and again

this is nothing compared to other stuff, like f*king with our health (garbage, Medicine...)

#43 January 19 2019

Sasuke

Salloum wrote:

Has anyone with a rooted Android tried to change their IMEI to see if the network can be tricked?

Is it possible to change IMEI number on my phone after root ?

Short answer: no, it's not possible. The IMEI is tied to the baseband SoC on your device and since the baseband is what communicates with your carriers network, Android isn't really involved at all. With root access it's possible to spoof the IMEI on the Android side of things but your carrier has nothing to do with that part of your device from a billing point of view so it wouldn't make sense.

Bear in mind, even if you could modify your IMEI, chances are that your fake one would be blacklisted by your carrier pretty quickly. The IMEI follows a strict format including a TAC and duplicate IMEIs is something a carrier will typically discover pretty quickly.

#44 January 19 2019

beezer

From what I heard it was customs who implemented this law. Telecom doesn't get any benefit from it.

infiniteloop wrote:

Ministry of telecoms should have prepare this whole Libanpost system before starting this very badly made law.

#45 February 11 2019

AVOlio

Just to update you guys on this matter.

It's been 3 months now since I got the infamous sms.
(I received it on Nov 9 2018, and now it's Feb 10 2018)
The sim car is still working on my phone.

I guess the law is not being implemented??
(unless, with my bad luck, and just so the universe gets back at me, the sim will stop working on my phone during these couple of days and make this post void)

#46 February 12 2019

xazbrat

AVOlio wrote:

Just to update you guys on this matter.

It's been 3 months now since I got the infamous sms.
(I received it on Nov 9 2018, and now it's Feb 10 2018)
The sim car is still working on my phone.

I guess the law is not being implemented??
(unless, with my bad luck, and just so the universe gets back at me, the sim will stop working on my phone during these couple of days and make this post void)

Interesting--that is 93 days, so past the 90 day window.  Let us know if anything changes, because if it does, my next phone will come through Dubai and delivered to me by a family member 

#47 February 12 2019

mmk92

A friend of mine got the message over 4 months ago and could still use his phone.

#48 February 12 2019

chosen2k

That's the funniest shit ever

#49 February 13 2019

nefe_lpmk

I have two cases in my office where after passing the window, phone and sms worked however mobile data stopped working.

#50 February 13 2019

infiniteloop

nefe_lpmk wrote:

I have two cases in my office where after passing the window, phone and sms worked however mobile data stopped working.

So it's Alfa/MTC who will lose in this situation

Board footer