LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 6 2019

Ezio

Project for homeless people

Hello,
So I must present a project infront of a jury. My project will be a facility (built in the suburbs, initially 2 floors with a capacity of 50) that contain homeless people aged 18+. We will offer them classes to learn basic skills for jobs on demand( cooking and driving for example). Aslo psycotherapy will be offered alongside with new clothes and general appearance. This will break the barriers between them and society and therefore help them merge.
Currently there is associations that help the homeless but they are not enough plus they keep them in the facilities which costs so much and deny them autonomy and the chance to live a normal life.
My questions are.. what is your general opinion regarding the project? What name would you suggest? If you were a member of the jury, what questions would you ask?
Any suggestion is welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited by Ezio (February 6 2019)

#2 February 6 2019

rolf

Re: Project for homeless people

Will it provide showers?

#3 February 6 2019

Hybrid

Will they be tested for infectious diseases? Will it be for free? You don't want to infect everyone while living there.

Last edited by Hybrid (February 6 2019)

#4 February 6 2019

rolf

Will you provide a sleeping space?
Seriously, give details!

#5 February 6 2019

chosen2k

Just a few ideas with not a lot of thinking.
What is your mission, what are you trying to solve, how will you achieve it?
Who is the team, who are your backers, where are you going to get your funding. You need a lot of funding how will you manage to get that?
What is the long term plan? how will it grow?
Who is giving the classes? Are they getting paid or are they working on a volunteer basis?
What are the services you are providing? Medical, psychological, physical exercise, classes etc...
What will differentiate you from the rest ? Why donate to you and not all other already existing organizations.
When will it be ready?

Last edited by chosen2k (February 6 2019)

#6 February 6 2019

Ezio

Sorry for missing the details but I don't want to turn it to a tl;dr post..
The allocated time is 5 min followed by 10 min of questions.
The vision is to embrace and help these people get the right skill set for them to merge into society and eventually lead a healthy and meaningful life.
As for the facility, it will consist of 12 rooms that will offer short term residency (up to 6 months). The staff will include nurses to check for diseases and weekly visit of physicians/general manager/psychologists.. Alongside volunteers. And yea it is free and will get the funding through a contract with the ministry of social affairs+donations .
As for what makes it special, it is the fact that we will transform these people to productive and confident people where other associations (actually they are just 2) treat them as homeless for ever.
I'm still a university student, so a time frame will be like 5 years to graduate with masters in social psychology followed by 7 years working in the field and gaining experience from different NGO's.
So it must be completed within 15 years
The budget is 65000$ initially
These are not all the details but the general stuff
Thank you so much for the replies, so helpful especially chosen2k

Regarding the homeless, hygiene is a must so yea there will be showers etc..

#7 February 6 2019

potato

Ezio wrote:

Hello,
So I must present a project infront of a jury. My project will be a facility (built in the suburbs, initially 2 floors with a capacity of 50) that contain homeless people aged 18+. We will offer them classes to learn basic skills for jobs on demand( cooking and driving for example). Aslo psycotherapy will be offered alongside with new clothes and general appearance. This will break the barriers between them and society and therefore help them merge.
Currently there is associations that help the homeless but they are not enough plus they keep them in the facilities which costs so much and deny them autonomy and the chance to live a normal life.
My questions are.. what is your general opinion regarding the project? What name would you suggest? If you were a member of the jury, what questions would you ask?
Any suggestion is welcomed and appreciated.

It seems super awesome
Accelerate society
Others asked good questions.
Suggestion if possible to not distinguish between religions of the homeless and better to let it be free. So this project should accept anyone whatever they believe in or from which country they come from. Also the homeless should abide the rules and they have points regarding their behavior and abiding the rules as much as they can (like respect and good manners etc..). Once they hit the zero point remove them from project.

#8 February 6 2019

Ezio

@potato
The reward/punishment system is a great idea, thanks

#9 February 8 2019

rolf

Well if offers rooms where they can rest and shower then it would already a big step for them.

To be able to better help, I think more details are due about the jury and the context of this project.

Last edited by rolf (February 8 2019)

Board footer