LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 29 2019

Isa Al

Where can I buy an HP battery replacement in Lebanon?

Hello

I bought an HP laptop from Khoury home at the end of 2017, and my battery is damaged now. I called them and they weirdly said that all 2017 laptops batteries aren't available now.

I called Teletrade, and they said they need 2-3 months to get it. I check PC and Parts, and they only have non HP batteries that could work, but I don't prefer that.

So any ideas where I can find genuine HP batteries in Lebanon? or if any website that ships internationally.

#2 January 29 2019

xazbrat

Re: Where can I buy an HP battery replacement in Lebanon?

I was looking around to replacing my HP's battery a while ago and found these guys.  No idea about them though and my battery issues mysteriously disappeared so I didn't get one.  Maybe if you live near them, check them out, but it is hard to find HP parts here--easier to find a friend or relative coming in from the gulf or the US/Canada/Europe and have them bring it with them.  Anyhow, good luck.

#3 February 2 2019

vlatkozelka

Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but it's a 2 years old HP you are trying to get a battery for. Is it worth it?

I would just put up with the inconvenience for another year and get a proper laptop later. (proper = not HP)

It's also hard to ship those things because batteries need a license I think (or so I was tild by Aramex). And I wouldn't trust local repair shops because the batteries they use for replacement usually die really fast.

#4 February 2 2019

Isa Al

vlatkozelka wrote:

Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but it's a 2 years old HP you are trying to get a battery for. Is it worth it?

I would just put up with the inconvenience for another year and get a proper laptop later. (proper = not HP)

It's also hard to ship those things because batteries need a license I think (or so I was tild by Aramex). And I wouldn't trust local repair shops because the batteries they use for replacement usually die really fast.

It's almost 1 year and 4 months and the battery issue was in the past few months, so it's less than a year. Many told me to get a new laptop but like is it worth it paying around $1,000 every year or so for a laptop?

I may consider changing the laptop rather than buying a fake battery if I don't find anywhere to buy it from.

Any suggestions for any other good brand?

#5 February 3 2019

vlatkozelka

Isa Al wrote:

Any suggestions for any other good brand?

If you want a gaming/all round laptop:
- Acer predator, the repair costs on those sucks though so be careful
- Asus ROG
- MSI, the only negative thing I know is they come filled with bloatware, you can just uninstall them
- Sager: if you can ship one, or bring one with a friend. My friend has one, and he's had it for 5 years now with no problems at all (except the usual wear and tear of course)

If you want a work laptop with no graphics card (better laptops IMO)

- Razer stealth if you can find one
- Microsoft surface, expensive though
- MAC: I dare say it but, if you're into that kind of thing then go ahead. These things last forever
- Asus ultrabooks. A lot of other brands have ultrabooks: laptops meant for work and durability. The lack of graphics card puts less stress on the battery, which make these last longer.

Don't get any of the mainstream laptops like HP, Toshiba, Dell, low end Lenovo (a lot of Lenovos are built like tanks, read reviews)

Isa Al wrote:

It's almost 1 year and 4 months and the battery issue was in the past few months, so it's less than a year. Many told me to get a new laptop but like is it worth it paying around $1,000 every year or so for a laptop?

I know it sucks. HP are just a huge rip off. They charge 1000+$ on something that would break in 2 years max. But it's also the nature of most mainstream "low-end" laptops. They die out that fast. Which is why I quit getting laptops 6 years ago, after I've owned like 6 of them, and went for a high-end desktop that I sold 4 years later, then upgraded to my current high-end PC.

Desktops are a much better investment. The first PC, that I just mentioned, after calculating how much it cost, and how much I sold it for, turned out that it cost me 500LL a day. And for that amount I get to have a much better computer than most laptops.

Where am I going with this?

Well I'm trying to help you break out of that sad 2 years laptop buying cycle.
I'd say you only need a laptop if you are a student who needs to do work in a cafeteria and such. Or a business man. Otherwise, there are computers everywhere you go, and a USB drive or cloud storage is really all you need. You could even remotely access your high-end PC from any machine that is available. (not an easy task given how Lebanese internet users don't get static IPs, but doable)

If you absolutely need a laptop, then go for one with no graphics card, they last a lot longer, with less noise, heat, and weight.
Don't pour money into that HP you have... don't pour money into fixing any laptop for that matter, especially if it's just an inconvenience, and not an absolute necessity (like a broken screen). Keep that money, and invest in a high end laptop, and be happy...

PS:
- Don't buy anything from Khoury Home. PcAndParts(as much as I dislike their business model), macrotronics, mojitech, etc... are you best bet in Lebanon.
- Don't go for the "I can get you this laptop for xxx$ from someone I know" Lebanese kind of deal. The 50$ max that you'll save are not worth the favor, nor whatever shady thing you will end up with (goes for anything, not just laptops)

I hope this post answers whatever questions you have. Have a nice Sunday!

#6 May 30 2019

hishjwnz

Not sure if you found a solution to your issue, but I can share my experience as I ordered a replacement battery for my Probook 450 G3 from Amazon that my brother brought with him back from UK. Brand is called ARyee. Obviously not genuine, but it hasn't been a bad choice. It's been almost a year and still gives me 2/4 hours depending on usage, which is similar to how the original was performing after a year of wear. And for less than 20$, it doesn't hurt to buy one every couple of years until you change your laptop.

#7 May 30 2019

duke-of-bytes

Get a chinese one..it will last for a year and more

I replace all my company laptop with off brand batteries

#8 July 15 2019

Thrax

Whenever you buy a laptop get a replacement battery too. Most places don't stock them in any decent numbers and certainly don't restock.

#9 July 16 2019

rolf

I checked two years ago and Compuworld were selling power adapters for HP computers.
So I am guessing maybe they have other parts?

Board footer