LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 23 2019

Guitaret

Place that sells ring eyes / halo light for cars

Hello,

Where can I buy Angel Eyes and install them for an SUV in Lebanon? Do you guys know a good place for that?

Something like this:
for-2007-2014-Toyota-FJ-Cruiser-LED-RGB-angel-eyes-Halo-Rings-Headlights-Bulbs-FJ-Cruiser.jpg_640x640.jpg

#2 January 23 2019

Aly

Re: Place that sells ring eyes / halo light for cars

Hello Guitaret,
Well I personally love this kind of stuff, which is called retrofitting.
And here's the short answer for your question:
Sherkawi - Airport road, they do have these Angel Eyes / Halos and they do install them.
Aliexpress - same cheap stuff like Sherkawi and most places in Lebanon but you will have to install them yourself.

Long answer:
First, I assume you want to install these on a Toyota FJ cruiser right (looking at the pic)?, well you either do it properly or don't do it at all and here's why, the FJ cruiser headlight is sealed with a butyl rubber glue, the headlight needs to be baked open in a home oven (it works) or an industrial oven specially made for headlights and both these are not available at any workshop in Lebanon (as far as I know), they will open your headlight with a heat gun, slow process but it will open eventually but the problem is they cannot seal it properly with a heat gun because the butyl rubber will not settle evenly like it does in the oven therefore:
1- your headlight will let moisture inside of it during the winter it will look ugly.
2- The moisture will start burning your bulbs or your expensive OEM HID KIT (Fj doesn't have stock HID KITS but other cars do) on a regular basis.
3- Visibility will go downhill during the night.
4- Not to mention the Angel Eyes will die quickly from moisture.

Now if you find a good workshop that will do the job properly or you are comfortable enough to do it yourself, it is not hard but a bit time consuming, I can link you to a guide on how to do it.

Second, your next issue is the choice of the angel eyes. The market has a shit load of these available and also Aliexpress has them too for dirt cheap, but unfortunately these wont last long, they will either die in less than a year or the leds will start dying one by one and it will look ugly trust me. My brother installed angel eyes on his E46 BMW three times from three different workshops and they died within months, I have also done it myself on my E90 BMW they lasted around a year and leds started dying I had to code the day running light off eventually.
So if you are still willing to do it you shall invest in a quality set of Angel Eyes from reputable places, since you don't want to bake open your headlight again to replace them or remove them:
1- https://www.theretrofitsource.com/halos … hback.html
2- https://www.umnitza.com/angel-eyes-by-u … eries.html
3- https://www.lightwerkz.net/
4 - you can find other places as well, but I know these.

PS: Yes these stores are based in the US and you will be surprised that those Angel Eyes are expensive, but it is worth the money.

#3 January 23 2019

rolf

One concern that I have, is the safety of other cars. I have encountered led strips a few times and found them blinding.
Please make sure you are not blinding and endangering other drivers.

I don't remember ever having encountered "angel eyes", they don't seem too bad, from the photo.
I guess this is just a mild cosmetic light and I would be happy to know that it has no effect on visibility for other drivers.

Otherwise if everyone just keeps installing unsafe lights on their cars, soon people will just compete for the strongest, most debilitating lights to be able to see the road at the expense of everyone else and it'll be, to quote Gebran Khalil Gebran: "An eye for an eye, and pretty soon everyone is blind"

Last edited by rolf (January 23 2019)

#4 January 23 2019

Bahij.M

Spoiler Center
These guys are professionals check them out.
As said before you can do it by yourself, there is a lot of DIY vids out there about that but i don't recommend that if removing the headlights require front bumper removal unless you really know what you are doing.

Last edited by Bahij.M (January 23 2019)

#5 January 24 2019

Aly

rolf wrote:

One concern that I have, is the safety of other cars. I have encountered led strips a few times and found them blinding.
Please make sure you are not blinding and endangering other drivers.

I don't remember ever having encountered "angel eyes", they don't seem too bad, from the photo.
I guess this is just a mild cosmetic light and I would be happy to know that it has no effect on visibility for other drivers.

Otherwise if everyone just keeps installing unsafe lights on their cars, soon people will just compete for the strongest, most debilitating lights to be able to see the road at the expense of everyone else and it'll be, to quote Gebran Khalil Gebran: "An eye for an eye, and pretty soon everyone is blind"

Angel eyes are purely a cosmetic upgrade, they have no effects whatsoever on the others, modern cars like BMW, Porsche etc ... have these installed from the factory.
The problem is actually with people running Xenon HID kits without proper projectors and blinding everyone in their way.

Last edited by Aly (January 24 2019)

#6 January 24 2019

rolf

Good to know! Thank you.
Yes it's my experience with bright white LED strips. They are don't even look good, just a cheap asshole move, lighting up the road at the expense of everyone else's safety especially people that cross the road at random places at night. Such blinding lights make it harder to see them.

#7 January 24 2019

Guitaret

Aly wrote:

Hello Guitaret,
Well I personally love this kind of stuff, which is called retrofitting.
And here's the short answer for your question:
Sherkawi - Airport road, they do have these Angel Eyes / Halos and they do install them.
Aliexpress - same cheap stuff like Sherkawi and most places in Lebanon but you will have to install them yourself.

Long answer:
First, I assume you want to install these on a Toyota FJ cruiser right (looking at the pic)?, well you either do it properly or don't do it at all and here's why, the FJ cruiser headlight is sealed with a butyl rubber glue, the headlight needs to be baked open in a home oven (it works) or an industrial oven specially made for headlights and both these are not available at any workshop in Lebanon (as far as I know), they will open your headlight with a heat gun, slow process but it will open eventually but the problem is they cannot seal it properly with a heat gun because the butyl rubber will not settle evenly like it does in the oven therefore:
1- your headlight will let moisture inside of it during the winter it will look ugly.
2- The moisture will start burning your bulbs or your expensive OEM HID KIT (Fj doesn't have stock HID KITS but other cars do) on a regular basis.
3- Visibility will go downhill during the night.
4- Not to mention the Angel Eyes will die quickly from moisture.

Now if you find a good workshop that will do the job properly or you are comfortable enough to do it yourself, it is not hard but a bit time consuming, I can link you to a guide on how to do it.

Second, your next issue is the choice of the angel eyes. The market has a shit load of these available and also Aliexpress has them too for dirt cheap, but unfortunately these wont last long, they will either die in less than a year or the leds will start dying one by one and it will look ugly trust me. My brother installed angel eyes on his E46 BMW three times from three different workshops and they died within months, I have also done it myself on my E90 BMW they lasted around a year and leds started dying I had to code the day running light off eventually.
So if you are still willing to do it you shall invest in a quality set of Angel Eyes from reputable places, since you don't want to bake open your headlight again to replace them or remove them:
1- https://www.theretrofitsource.com/halos … hback.html
2- https://www.umnitza.com/angel-eyes-by-u … eries.html
3- https://www.lightwerkz.net/
4 - you can find other places as well, but I know these.

PS: Yes these stores are based in the US and you will be surprised that those Angel Eyes are expensive, but it is worth the money.

Aly I appreciate the articulate response dude and I am glad I got someone with deep knowledge in this customization business.
What I am trying to do is the below:

maxresdefault.jpg

Just my FJ is black and I want the rings to be dark red instead of this green and I have already installed the angry eyes trims. I am learning to do stuff using my hands since we lack professionals to do it the right way.
At a later stage, I will add the metal bumper but I want something a bit lighter than pure metal.

I highly appreciate the notes about the poor quality led strips and how critical the installation process is. I wouldn't want to do it myself because I am not too good in the wiring business though I should teach myself because keeping the car waterproof and free of faulty wiring is essential to its design in offroad capability.

My other alternatives are:

- Getting a complete unit for FJ with built-in red halo light but this is very expensive at best and needs high maintenance at worst. I wouldn't want to waste time and stress about expensive parts if something broke or I got in an accident. I prefer buying a 5$ light bulb and replacing it myself.

- The below cheaper option from Aliexpress but even though it specifies that it is ready for an FJ, I am skeptical about it since my stock headlights are different and have a mount.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/for-Toy … st=ae803_5

- Have the whole unit wrapped inside a red vinyl wrap sheet (like this one on ishtari.com) but as a side effect (since this is all red now), I have to dim the lights and install other light somewhere else as an additional light source for the night. Adding extra trims to this car is what it is made for; You have many extra gages inside the car to add options.

-Check Sherkawi to see if they have ones the size of my headlights since all that I have checked have bmw sizes which is much smaller than mine, then take my chances in their installation.

Please let me know if you have any comments about the above.

rolf wrote:

Yes it's my experience with bright white LED strips. They are don't even look good, just a cheap asshole move, lighting up the road at the expense of everyone else's safety especially people that cross the road at random places at night. Such blinding lights make it harder to see them.

Got you rolf but as Aly said this is purely esthetic (just 2-3 watts of light) and you should know that I give high priority to road safety and any led projectors I have will be covered in leather until I take it offroad.

Bahij.M wrote:

Spoiler Center.

Thanks for the reference and I will make sure to check them out.

#8 January 25 2019

Aly

Guitaret wrote:

- Getting a complete unit for FJ with built-in red halo light but this is very expensive at best and needs high maintenance at worst. I wouldn't want to waste time and stress about expensive parts if something broke or I got in an accident. I prefer buying a 5$ light bulb and replacing it myself.

Yes indeed, these are very expensive and if you decide to go ahead with this option, make sure you buy some reputable aftermarket brand.

Guitaret wrote:

- The below cheaper option from Aliexpress but even though it specifies that it is ready for an FJ, I am skeptical about it since my stock headlights are different and have a mount.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/for-Toy … st=ae803_5

I wouldn't recommend these at all, those are garbage grade headlights with almost zero visibility at night, not to mention their lifetime are usually short.
However these are cheap and you can give it a shot but no matter what, keep your stock headlights aside and DO NOT sell them or loose them just in case.

Guitaret wrote:

- Have the whole unit wrapped inside a red vinyl wrap sheet (like this one on ishtari.com) but as a side effect (since this is all red now), I have to dim the lights and install other light somewhere else as an additional light source for the night. Adding extra trims to this car is what it is made for; You have many extra gages inside the car to add options.

Yes this is also doable, the wrap is cheap and can be taken away easily in case you dont want them anymore, as for extra light source you can install a couple of additional fog lights (probably LED) and luckily the FJ has room for extra switches inside.

Guitaret wrote:

-Check Sherkawi to see if they have ones the size of my headlights since all that I have checked have bmw sizes which is much smaller than mine, then take my chances in their installation.

Yes you can check that, Sherkawi is good and there is a lot of others as well in the market, I tried Sherkawi myself before and they are professional, they always have plenty of customers waiting their turns.
Wherever you decide to do this, just make sure you ask them questions and try to get some kind of warranty that the headlight wont have moisture inside later due to bad assembly and sealing.

Last edited by Aly (January 25 2019)

Board footer