LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 26 2017

Draguen

Are Dashboard camera / Dashcam legal in Lebanon?

Hey, so as the title suggests, i was wondering if dashcams are legal.

I've asked arround and keep getting different answers from different people.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Draguen (July 26 2017)

#2 July 26 2017

port80

Re: Are Dashboard camera / Dashcam legal in Lebanon?

To my understanding a dash cam is a stationary camera and filming things in a public setting is not illegal however filming military installations which you pass through daily is illegal. But you'll probably be fine.

#3 July 26 2017

AVOlio

Just hide it with a box of tissues or something and you'll be fine.

#4 January 18 2019

mmk92

Reviving an old thread.

As anyone had any issues while having a dashcam installed?
I'm looking into getting the Yi Smart Dash Camera

#5 January 18 2019

rolf

I think you will be OK, worst case, if you happen to film military/police installation and "get caught", I think you can get away with deleting the footage, maybe being questioned and have your name being written down, even maybe the cam being confiscated (worst case IMO), as long as you have a valid explanation for having a cam (try to think of something) and explain that you did not mean to film them.

I never had a dashcam installed but I filmed myself driving, filmed others, and often take photos. The vast majority of the time it's a non-issue, in fact Lebanese in general care less much about being filmed and their privacy than some other people. The worst experiences I've had are being dragged into a police station once because I was taking photos of police cars (I was released shortly after) and on another occasion having a thug on a motorcycle follow my car because he saw me pointing a camera at him, and when I refused to show him the footage and drove off, he later went to the police and complained that I tried to kill him. Right.

So anyway here you go - don't worry :)

Last edited by rolf (January 18 2019)

#6 January 19 2019

beezer

A few years ago there was a guy who was accused of being an Israeli spy because he had a dash cam in his car. It was politically motivated, and he had it installed for his own security, but after learning that, I opted to not do it.

I drive through 2 pointless checkpoints a day. I'm sure if they wanted, they could pin some BS  if I had recorded it.

#7 January 20 2019

xazbrat

It is not illegal, but make sure you get one that is pretty discreet.  A lot of entities here may look at it as a threat, so there are a lot of dashcam kits which are pretty discrete (ie, cameras don't look like cameras and hidden wiring).which you can use.  My neighbor has a dashcam which is NOT discrete installed on his little kia---he got in a accident a couple of years ago when a school bus was driving on the wrong side of the road and hit him.  Anyhow, bus driver blamed him and the dashcam got that driver fired--so it works out for the good sometimes.

Russia had issues with insurance fraud where drivers would get targeted and then claim insurance money.  It got so bad that everyone was encouraged to install dashcams in their cars and as a result, insurance fraud was reduced.  Also, a lot of cool dashcam footage has come out of Russia of this meteorite a few years ago.

#8 January 21 2019

duke-of-bytes

mmk92 wrote:

Reviving an old thread.

As anyone had any issues while having a dashcam installed?
I'm looking into getting the Yi Smart Dash Camera

out of subject : the yi cameras are bad.. i got 4 yi home cameras (the 1080 version) and they malfunctioned

Board footer