LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 18 2019

Truepeace

Steam VOIP not connecting

I am facing the "connecting" forever issue when trying to do a Steam voice call.
I tried different modem routers (2 TP-Link, 1 old one Broadcom Wise gave me at the time) and different laptops connected to my home wifi and it's not working.
I tried disabling my antivirus, the firewall of the laptops and the router, nothing changed.
When I use a VPN, my 3G Alfa mobile hotspot internet, or my friends' wifi, calls work.

I tested it at my aunt's who lives 2 building away from me and who is also subscribed with Ogero and she doesn't have my issue, I even tested my modem at her house and calls worked.
I contacted Ogero but they seem clueless, they told me to port forward the calling port which is 27015 UDP but it didn't help.
My problem surely doesn't come from this but I tried running my router on UPS, changing phone cables, no luck.
My friend who is a Touch user faces the same issue when he connects to his 4G mobile Hotspot.
So the problem is certainly not from my side and I can't think of a solution or how to address it to Ogero and if they can fix it.

#2 January 18 2019

duke-of-bytes

Re: Steam VOIP not connecting

find the servers of the steam voice call
trace them
show us the result

are you using it on chrome ? do you have any popup blockers or adguards on it ?! webrtc is a sucker but u can find some test engine online like https://test.webrtc.org/ that might help you

#3 January 19 2019

Truepeace

Re: Steam VOIP not connecting

duke-of-bytes wrote:

find the servers of the steam voice call
trace them
show us the result

are you using it on chrome ? do you have any popup blockers or adguards on it ?! webrtc is a sucker but u can find some test engine online like https://test.webrtc.org/ that might help you

I think this is the steam server I saw in wireshark when I made a call, but my friend who has his calls working did the tracert too and got similar results (timeouts at hops 9+)
>tracert 146.66.152.11

Tracing route to pcroot02.fra-1.srcds.valve.net [146.66.152.11]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     4 ms     1 ms     3 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     8 ms    13 ms     7 ms  172.30.224.110
  3     7 ms     7 ms     6 ms  172.30.224.1
  4     7 ms    10 ms     7 ms  77.42.129.20
  5    11 ms    13 ms     8 ms  192.168.212.1
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *      768 ms  ae-2-3203.ear3.Frankfurt1.Level3.net [4.69.163.90]
  8    64 ms    64 ms    66 ms  212.73.249.30
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13  ^C

Steam voice calls work only using the Steam software not on web so ad blockers won't matter plus calls work in any network besides mine.
I did the webrtc test, Ipv6 and Reflexive connectivity aren't working so I suspect reflexive connectivity to be the problem but when I tested it on 3g reflexive connectivity also didn't work but steam calls worked, same for my friend, he could call me but he has the reflexive connectivity not working.

Last edited by Truepeace (January 19 2019)

Board footer