LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1351 January 6 2019

Toufic

Re: Feedback for IDM

Tech Guru wrote:

I have Fiber Sakiat  Al Janzir ( 200m from Ogero CO)

ISP: IDM

Heavy User too , 300 GB is not enough at all. Switched to 1TB ( 1000 GB Plan) with unlimited nights.

Average Speed ~ 100Mbps

100Mbps = 0.0125 GB/sec

1000 GB/0.0125 = 80000 sec

80000 / 3600 = 22 hours (regular day usage without unlimited nights)  the 1000 GB will be finished on a 100Mbps Speed.

If i activate some limiter on the traffic or control the speeds allowed for some devices, will that help me manage 300GB on fiber ?

I projected 10Gb per day would be more than enough and i reduce some downloading and some streaming.

This is largely discouraging and i'm pondering the idea of sticking to ADSL hoping maybe the speeds might increase when fiber is fully deployed and operational (or ADSL speeds won't improve/get affected at all?)

Any input is appreciated

Last edited by Toufic (January 6 2019)

#1352 January 7 2019

Tech Guru

Toufic wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

Heavy User too , 300 GB is not enough at all. Switched to 1TB ( 1000 GB Plan) with unlimited nights.

Average Speed ~ 100Mbps

100Mbps = 0.0125 GB/sec

80000 / 3600 = 22 hours (regular day usage without unlimited nights)  the 1000 GB will be finished on a 100Mbps Speed.

If i activate some limiter on the traffic or control the speeds allowed for some devices, will that help me manage 300GB on fiber ?

I projected 10Gb per day would be more than enough and i reduce some downloading and some streaming.

This is largely discouraging and i'm pondering the idea of sticking to ADSL hoping maybe the speeds might increase when fiber is fully deployed and operational (or ADSL speeds won't improve/get affected at all?)

Any input is appreciated

There is no consumption limiter mate. Actually Ogero's FTTC Cabinets are 1Gbps but Ogero limits it ( Only few residential buildings @ Zaytouna Bay Area , Beit Mesik Residential Compounds , commercial banks , and some public sector entities like the airport have the full 1Gbps access.

I am having

Downlaod speed = 12.5 MB/sec , each 1GB is downloaded at 80 Sec ( 1000 / 12.5)  on 100Mbps speed. The nice about fiber no signal deterioration regardless of whether Ogero or any ISP ( Common FTTC Cabinet each 800m) with no heat lose or single to noise interference like DSL network noise interferance and heat lose due to copper wire transmission ( increase as you go further from the Ogero CO whether Ogero or any ISPs that act as a mediator only in DSL or Fiber Optic and Ogero is the mother feed of all).

Fiber on the other hand needs regular maintenance ( more frequent than the DSL insfrastructure). Hopefully it will continue like that with no lucklaster  maintenance performance on the long future that might affcet the fiber optic network throughput.

Last edited by Tech Guru (January 7 2019)

#1353 January 8 2019

Toufic

Tech Guru wrote:
Toufic wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

Average Speed ~ 100Mbps

100Mbps = 0.0125 GB/sec

Any input is appreciated

There is no consumption limiter mate. Actually Ogero's FTTC Cabinets are 1Gbps but Ogero limits it ( Only few residential buildings @ Zaytouna Bay Area , Beit Mesik Residential Compounds , commercial banks , and some public sector entities like the airport have the full 1Gbps access.

I am having

Downlaod speed = 12.5 MB/sec , each 1GB is downloaded at 80 Sec ( 1000 / 12.5)  on 100Mbps speed. The nice about fiber no signal deterioration regardless of whether Ogero or any ISP ( Common FTTC Cabinet each 800m) with no heat lose or single to noise interference like DSL network noise interferance and heat lose due to copper wire transmission ( increase as you go further from the Ogero CO whether Ogero or any ISPs that act as a mediator only in DSL or Fiber Optic and Ogero is the mother feed of all).

Fiber on the other hand needs regular maintenance ( more frequent than the DSL insfrastructure). Hopefully it will continue like that with no lucklaster  maintenance performance on the long future that might affcet the fiber optic network throughput.

I guess this is good news and bad news at the same time.

I found something on my router that allows me to limit speeds on each device.
Once installed in a couple of months, i will update you on whether or not switching to fiber was a good idea.

Thanks a lot for the feedback and for the detailed explanation.
Cheers

#1354 January 13 2019

RandomMemory

Toufic, if you have an old PC lying around I recommend installing pfsense. It is a beautiful masterpiece and I run one at home to load balance 2 microwave internet connections for 60mbps. Pfsense is a firewall/router OS that lets you do anything you want with very strong features for power users.

#1355 January 14 2019

Toufic

RandomMemory wrote:

Toufic, if you have an old PC lying around I recommend installing pfsense. It is a beautiful masterpiece and I run one at home to load balance 2 microwave internet connections for 60mbps. Pfsense is a firewall/router OS that lets you do anything you want with very strong features for power users.

Will give it a chec. Thanks dude

#1356 May 24 2019

kfc

I got a call today from IDM informing me that GDS is deploying fibre to the home in my area within the coming 2- 3 months and asking if I am interested in this. Cost is $220 for installation and modem and one month free but since I'm already an IDM subscriber the price will be reduced to $193.

The lady told me that the speed will become up to 300 megabits per second. When I told her that I am happy with speeds up to 100 megabits per second that I should get without paying any installation fee once Ogero upgrades to FTTC, she told me that this is impossible and that there is no FTTC in my area and that I will not get any automatic speed improvement without FTTH and without paying installation fees.

Please advise me whether what she's saying is correct or she is trying to bluff me. Thank you!!

Last edited by kfc (May 24 2019)

#1357 May 24 2019

Toufic

Got the same call about 6 month ago (early January)
Nothing happened yet since i payed a deposit but early april, there was drilling/construction like near the building i live in and the ones working said they were installing the fiber related equipment.

I'll post something here if anything new comes up but at the time, they said in 3month so typical lebanese ETA

As for if she's telling the truth or not... from my end, no way of telling in this country because i got the same answer when i asked the same question. From a marketing perspective, it would be counter productive to say yes i guess.

kfc wrote:

I got a call today from IDM informing me that GDS is deploying fibre to the home in my area within the coming 2- 3 months and asking if I am interested in this. Cost is $220 for installation and modem and one month free but since I'm already an IDM subscriber the price will be reduced to $193.

The lady told me that the speed will become up to 300 megabits per second. When I told her that I am happy with speeds up to 100 megabits per second that I should get without paying any installation fee once Ogero upgrades to FTTC, she told me that this is impossible and that there is no FTTC in my area and that I will not get any automatic speed improvement without FTTH and without paying installation fees.

Please advise me whether what she's saying is correct or she is trying to bluff me. Thank you!!

#1358 August 12 2019

abdul_hafiz

Dears
Kindly i would like to know is it true that i can contact my ISP ( IDM) and ask them to add me to gaming pool where i can get better ping times for online gaming??
i did an online test and i have a mean of 160ms
my current speed is 1.2 Mbps (i`m on open speed )

#1359 August 13 2019

Doom

abdul_hafiz wrote:

Dears
Kindly i would like to know is it true that i can contact my ISP ( IDM) and ask them to add me to gaming pool where i can get better ping times for online gaming??

You have a relatively slow speed , joining the "gaming pool" will further decrease it. Also, there's a high chance your line is noisy which can cause frequent disconnections. But, it won't hurt to try.
I don't know about IDM, but try calling them. If what I mentioned happens, call them back to revert it.

#1360 August 16 2019

Abou7meed

abdul_hafiz wrote:

Dears

I left IDM last month due to high ping during online gaming,
I already was in the gaming pool thingy where you can get a real dynamic IP each time your modem syncs, but all of these didn't help !! I was still getting high pings ( 100 - 120 ms ) average to europe servers.
But my line was clean & perfect I was getting speed up to 14/16 MBps, I was on an Open Speed plan, and not far from the CO.
Each time I called and asked for the ping they started blaming ( my modem, filter, line, refrigerator, microwave,....we did 541684131 slowness tests, and access my laptop remotely many times....at the end - el meshkleh men 3andak )     

I think your case is different, but what I am trying to tell you that even if you fix your line..with IDM you will face high ping !!

If you want a decent/stable latency in gaming, leave IDM, go to Ogero and ask them to turn off interleaving (Gaming/Fast mode - on their call center) you will get great values as I am getting now ( 50 - 70 ms ) to europe servers !

Any gamer can tell what can be done when your ping is decreased from  (100-120)  to  (50-70)

#1361 August 17 2019

AliJ7

Ogero is the best option for in terms of latency and stability.Period.

#1362 September 13 2019

Silentcontrol

Anyone knows how I can report a security issue to IDM. do they have a Security team or an IT Team ... ?

#1363 September 13 2019

duke-of-bytes

Silentcontrol wrote:

Anyone knows how I can report a security issue to IDM. do they have a Security team or an IT Team ... ?

i contacted their noc few years ago..no one replied

#1364 September 13 2019

nuclearcat

Maybe worth to call regular support and ask advice where to contact?
Be careful also on usual white hat risks, legal point, IDM big company, and they wont hesitate to sue you, if their lawyer will see that beneficial.

#1365 October 10 2019

wollyka

Is IDM down in Mazraa Centrale? No internet and IDM Support is not answering.

#1366 October 10 2019

Super Official

wollyka wrote:

Is IDM down in Mazraa Centrale? No internet and IDM Support is not answering.

Can confirm that it was down in Zouk Miakel central as well.

#1367 October 10 2019

wollyka

Yes, and after one hour it is back..

#1368 October 23 2019

new_user

I want to change my plan from open speed to unlimited. To do that I need to get a change of plan form from the dealer, fill it, submit it to the dealer and pay 2$. It is sometimes hard to deal with the dealers because they are not all familiar with this process and they do not all have the form (or have it but do not know).
Does anyone have the form as pdf who could send it to me? This would save me the trouble of having to explain to the dealers. I still have an old form that I filled a year ago but it has old plan pricing (example 2M unlimited for 40$) and I do not want to risk it getting rejected...

#1369 October 24 2019

---()--()---

Any IDM users been having outages for 1-5 minutes during the day randomly, with the fourth light on the router going off ?

Not sure if it's my router crapping out or a common thing.

#1370 October 24 2019

wollyka

---()--()--- wrote:

Any IDM users been having outages for 1-5 minutes during the day randomly, with the fourth light on the router going off ?

Not sure if it's my router crapping out or a common thing.

Nothing here, Mazraa

#1371 December 16 2019

Romanvian

Im on IDM open speed and its f ridiculous... average of 6 mbps (bit) and 8 mpbs at best. Do i have something wrong going on or are they really calling 6mbps open speed ?

#1372 December 16 2019

wollyka

Romanvian wrote:

Im on IDM open speed and its f ridiculous... average of 6 mbps (bit) and 8 mpbs at best. Do i have something wrong going on or are they really calling 6mbps open speed ?

What are your DSL stats from the modem? Maybe you are far from the Centrale

#1373 March 9 2020

wollyka

Did anyone seeing slow torrent downloads from around 9 pm to 12 am? it seems that they are throttling the speed for torrents (i tried several Ubuntu torrents).  I tried it for several days even without downloading anything during the day. I also tried it on a new month (directly after renewal)
I emailed support and they assured me that no FUP is applied on fixed quotas plans such as my plan  but i am guessing that they are using some sort of packet shaping. Using VPN the speed is back to normal during that time.
Can anyone also try and report please? thx
Edit: I have a theory, i think they are trying to limit international traffic by throttling heaving downloads like torrents. International traffic costs dollars which they don't have since most of the customers are paying in LL now (using 1515 rate)

Last edited by wollyka (March 13 2020)

#1374 March 11 2020

infiniteloop

Cyberia too
They are blocking torrents website too
Dictatorship on everything

#1375 March 12 2020

wollyka

Cyberia and IDM are both owned by the same company GDS

Board footer