LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 7 2018

Salloum

Driving on New Year’s Eve

I have two events to attend this year, in Beirut and Batroun. I was wondering if anyone ever tried going out at 12:30-1:00am on New Years Eve as I usually never change venues... should I expect traffic, drunken madness, or whatnot?

Thanks for your input!

#2 December 7 2018

rolf

Re: Driving on New Year’s Eve

Salloum wrote:

I have two events to attend this year, in Beirut and Batroun. I was wondering if anyone ever tried going out at 12:30-1:00am on New Years Eve as I usually never change venues... should I expect traffic, drunken madness, or whatnot?

Thanks for your input!

My main concern would be the bullets that some shoot in the air, they will come down due to gravity.

Incidentally, I was watching this video of New Year celebrations in Berlin, Neukölln, Turkish gangster style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm4XaqWIq3U

Maybe at 1AM it would be OK. Personally I would stay mostly indoors when guns are being shot.

What goes up must come down.

Last edited by rolf (December 9 2018)

#3 December 8 2018

duke-of-bytes

no one in his right mind would go out of his house on new years eve except for work or serious emergencies

#4 December 8 2018

Salloum

duke-of-bytes wrote:

no one in his right mind would go out of his house on new years eve except for work or serious emergencies

I usually never do but there are two events I absolutely must attend this year... Is it really that bad?

#5 December 8 2018

nefe_lpmk

Salloum wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

I usually never do but there are two events I absolutely must attend this year... Is it really that bad?

I have done it before, it is fine. You have to be more careful than usual.
Mind not to drive if you drank, ISF will have checkpoints everywhere testing for alcohol.

#6 December 8 2018

duke-of-bytes

nefe_lpmk wrote:
Salloum wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

I have done it before, it is fine. You have to be more careful than usual.
Mind not to drive if you drank, ISF will have checkpoints everywhere testing for alcohol.

It is not just the hordes of drunk angry people..but the traffic jams..the checkpoints..the hordes of drunk angry people!

#7 December 8 2018

dp0001

take a cab

#8 December 10 2018

Salloum

dp0001 wrote:

take a cab

Thought of this, seems pointless. I won't be drinking at the first event anyway.

#9 December 10 2018

MrClass

You can use Careem or Uber, but definitely there will be a price surge due to demand

#10 December 14 2018

Joe

duke-of-bytes wrote:

This.

It's the hoard of drunks. Don't take my word for it. Go to your local Red Cross chapter. Ask them about their work on New Year's Eve. It's their busiest night of the year. They showed me stats once, scared the shit out of me.

#11 December 15 2018

infiniteloop

Try to convince your friends to come to your place :)
I would go at a chalet if I have a room and I can sleep there so I can go back during the day
Also avoid Metn ''speedy road'' on Eve's night, even any weekend's night, people tend to go beyond the logic of speed on a road without lights, drunken and mad just because it's called ''speedy road''. I saw very nasty accidents there sometimes with death

#12 December 17 2018

dp0001

Salloum wrote:
dp0001 wrote:

take a cab

Thought of this, seems pointless. I won't be drinking at the first event anyway.

i mean so you don't have to deal with the crazy driving

#13 January 4 2019

Salloum

For what it's worth, I did end up doing it, drove from Beirut Hamra to Batroun. Left Beirut at around 12:30. No traffic (almost non existent), no checkpoints, not a single person driving in a weird way. Very smooth experience. Just goes to show you most of the things you hear in this country are hearsay.

#14 January 6 2019

Joe

Just because you didn't face any danger (thankfully, I'm genuinely glad it went smooth), don't assume the dangers don't exist. Look at stats. It's scary.

Anyway, happy new year everyone :)

#15 January 6 2019

infiniteloop

Salloum wrote:

For what it's worth, I did end up doing it, drove from Beirut Hamra to Batroun. Left Beirut at around 12:30. No traffic (almost non existent), no checkpoints, not a single person driving in a weird way. Very smooth experience. Just goes to show you most of the things you hear in this country are hearsay.

12:30 90% of people are in the core of the fiesta, of course the roads are empty, but try starting 2am...

#16 January 11 2019

duke-of-bytes

Salloum wrote:

you left at 12:30 when most of the people are still enjoying their night..kinda stupid to leave a party when it's at its highest

#17 January 13 2019

rolf

I found it quiet this year.

Board footer