LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 21 2018

Toufic

Update on fiber optics

I live right in the middle of hamra.

The other day my neighbor who's a cyberia subscriber came and said he was contacted in regards to filling out an application for fiber optics.

So apparently, the larger the number of residents in the building who wish to fill out an application is, the faster the process of installing the fiber optics box for the building will happen.

I am with IDM and called them the next day to see how/what to do

So apparently, cyberia will be handling Hamra's fiber optics. Contacted them and was given an application and the fees/plans.

There was no ETA provided, but they simply said the bigger the number, higher are the chances that the process will speed-en up.

Oh and if your neighbors are subscribed to other ISP or even OGERO, doesn't matter. They can always switch. They just need a landline.

It cost 220$ including modem + installment and one month free.
195$ if you are already an IDM or Cyberia customer.

·        High Speed - 50 to 300 Mbps

A speed where it can carry several hundred to several thousands of Mbits over a single fiber.

·        No Data Bottlenecks

Fiber is the fastest available data conduit, the probability that you’ll experience slow-downs while using it is the lowest.

·        Minimal Latency

For a fiber network, latency is based on the speed of light. Because the internet signal travels faster over fiber optics, the latency is much less than other internet signals.

Setup Fees:

·         The setup fee is for 199$(excl. VAT) including: 1 ONT modem + fiber extension cables + installation of the whole system.

Monthly Subscription Fees:

Plan    Speed (up to)    Price       Unlimited Night*

50GB
300 Mbps
$20
N/A

100GB
300 Mbps
$30
N/A

200GB
300 Mbps
$45
N/A

300GB
300 Mbps
$50
$24/month

400GB
300 Mbps
$65
$24/month

500GB
300 Mbps
$80
$24/month

600GB
300 Mbps
$96
$24/month

750GB
300 Mbps
$120
$24/month

1000GB
300 Mbps
$160
$24/month

*Unlimited Night is an optional feature, available between 00:00 and 07:00

Prices exclude VAT.

Extra GB:

Postpaid customer: 0.67$/GB

Prepaid customer: 1$/GB

Service Features:

·         Fiber to the home

·         15 to 30 times faster than ADSL

·         24/7 customer support

·         Fixed monthly subscription

·         Convenient payment methods including Prepaid cards, online payment, or bank domiciliation

·         Online traffic consumption control and monitoring

·         Reliable in all weather conditions

Last edited by Toufic (March 21 2018)

#2 March 22 2018

dio

Re: Update on fiber optics

Ogero sent me an application for Fiber back in November, and Im in the Hamra area. I have to switch now? I don't understand.

#3 March 22 2018

rolf

I think this offer is garbage.

For decades now, every once in a while, a new technology is advertised, but in the end the internet quality remains pretty bad by international standards, and generally painful to use.

It will take more then that to make me optimist. All this shows me is that the state is still bent on extracting every last dollar from people through overpriced services while providing inadequate internet services, and that there are still people who are gullible or naive enough to be optimistic and believe that the quality of internet service will improve through these overpriced packages.

The speed will definitely improve on an absolute measure, but so does the global speed average. The whole word is progressing and Lebanon still lags behind. It will take much deeper change (cultural, legal, administrative) and more disruptive measures to change things.

So if Lebanon want to offer globally competitive services it will take much more than that.
If instead we want Lebanon to be a touristic country where people come to relax - well that is not going great either, with all the destruction of the environment and low quality of life.

How about agriculture, any chance for that? That's also a tough one.

I didn't mean this to be too negative, or to be a rant. This is my undistilled opinion and I got a little carried away.
Below are some of the points in the offer that I find particularly repulsive.

Thank you for sharing these updates, always nice to know what is happening.

Toufic wrote:

·        No Data Bottlenecks

Fiber is the fastest available data conduit, the probability that you’ll experience slow-downs while using it is the lowest.

So I have to pay $200 installation so that I can maybe have no slow-downs, but most probably it will be like it always was.

Toufic wrote:

Extra GB:

Postpaid customer: 0.67$/GB

Prepaid customer: 1$/GB

I think I will pass.

Last edited by rolf (March 22 2018)

#4 March 22 2018

DNA

Toufic wrote:

·        Minimal Latency

For a fiber network, latency is based on the speed of light. Because the internet signal travels faster over fiber optics, the latency is much less than other internet signals.

what you said regarding the speed of light thing is not entirely true, also signals over copper is based on the speed of light and Technically signals travels SLOWER in a fiber line than it does using copper lines.

but latency is lower because of higher bandwidth different error correction methods(fiber in less susceptible to errors anyways) and shorter runs to the centrals.

in short light bounces inside a fiber optic cable(total internal reflection)  thus the distance is much longer than if it passes in a straight line, which is not the case in copper wire. Data transmit methods and routing aside data travels faster in copper than in fiber.

what causes most of the latency  isn't because of copper on the existing network its because of routing delays limited bandwidth and distance to Europe
so don't expect to see more than 5ms gains over adsl with interleaving disabled. my latency to bbc.co.uk is ~62ms on Adsl and ~60ms over a dedicated microwave line which is faster than fiber

Edit:I dont mean microwave is faster than fiber in BANDWIDTH. am saying that because it is a direct line of sight to the ISP and photons doesn't bounce like in fiber lines. and in general light travels faster in air than glass
also please above i mean relative to speed of light in both copper and fiber.
example light travels across Lebanon in ~0.73ms in vaccum while it takes ~0.96ms in glass and ~1.25ms in fiber optics which is very little in the 3 cases so thats why you will only see minor difference from existing network

Last edited by DNA (March 22 2018)

#5 March 22 2018

alifawaz99

Knowing that the link from Beirut to Europe to New York is over fiber and assuming that no switches and repeaters in between, the ideal ping should be ~100ms to New York
But again, congestion and international switches are the reason why international pings are screwed ( up to 148ms to Dearborn, US )

Last edited by alifawaz99 (March 22 2018)

#6 March 22 2018

NuclearVision

better late than never, still a long way to go though -assuming the results are satisfactory...

#7 March 23 2018

dio

Will we have to deal with "interleaving off" when we get fiber?

#8 June 30 2018

Kareem

dio wrote:

Will we have to deal with "interleaving off" when we get fiber?

There is no interleaving on fiber AFAIK.

#9 July 20 2018

Aveline

Does anyone know if any public places have utilised fibre optic yet? Such as cafes or restaurants?

#10 July 22 2018

Azachariou

if I'm not mistaken some hotels in hamra

#11 August 21 2018

vlatkozelka

A friend of mine got FTTB this week in Bshamoun, and he's getting speeds of 100mbps

For now it's un-capped, for testing purposes. He says in 2 weeks it's going to be capped to the usual 200GB, which is nonsense for Fiber Optics tbh.

Last edited by vlatkozelka (August 21 2018)

#12 August 22 2018

Toufic

Any updates on Fiber ?

I just went on IDM's website and noticed an update on the map and an option to apply to fiber.
Anyone in beirut region has applied ? And if so, was there any response or were they just collecting subscribers ?

More so, what's the recommended quota for fiber subscription ?  200GB per month is not enough ?

#13 August 22 2018

kfc

Toufic wrote:

Any updates on Fiber ?

I just went on IDM's website and noticed an update on the map and an option to apply to fiber.
Anyone in beirut region has applied ? And if so, was there any response or were they just collecting subscribers ?

More so, what's the recommended quota for fiber subscription ?  200GB per month is not enough ?

FTTX Deployment schedule

https://www.ogero.gov.lb/data/filemanag … %20Map.pdf

Last edited by kfc (August 22 2018)

#14 August 23 2018

nuclearcat

ads in twitter
https://twitter.com/orientprincelb/stat … 5198505984
fiber optics in hotel :)

#15 August 23 2018

xazbrat

Toufic wrote:

My centrale is scheduled to be upgraded by the end of this year (khalde)---does this mean that they will also install active cabinets so that subscribers can take advantage of it (I am a little over 3km away) or will the upgrade just be done at the centrale and then the cabinets installed later.

#16 August 23 2018

Aly

xazbrat wrote:
Toufic wrote:

My centrale is scheduled to be upgraded by the end of this year (khalde)---does this mean that they will also install active cabinets so that subscribers can take advantage of it (I am a little over 3km away) or will the upgrade just be done at the centrale and then the cabinets installed later.

I believe they will install active cabinets around the area to cover it all, just like what they did already in Bshamoun, go to Ogero's website and check their banner about Bshamoun (Number #2) it says they deployed 36 active cabinets in that area alone. So technically by doing this that 3km will definitely shrink to less than 1km since you will have an active cabinet nearby.

#17 August 23 2018

xazbrat

Aly wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
Toufic wrote:

I believe they will install active cabinets around the area to cover it all, just like what they did already in Bshamoun, go to Ogero's website and check their banner about Bshamoun (Number #2) it says they deployed 36 active cabinets in that area alone. So technically by doing this that 3km will definitely shrink to less than 1km since you will have an active cabinet nearby.

Yeah I saw that already, and I heard a rumor that they were going to be installing cabinets in my area in the next couple of months, but I don't rely on reports which go by 'my relative works at ogero and tells me that xxx is going to happen by xxx'.      Hopefully, this time it will pan out. 

I have friends in Bchamoun who were barely getting a 512k connection before and now they are getting going to be getting close to 50 mbps connection---that is quite an improvement.

#18 September 5 2018

HooZ

Hey guys just to give you a quick update, fiber in bchamoun was successfully deployed but no one is able to register yet, i contacted ogero khalde for 2 weeks non stop and they keep telling me to call the week after, i contacted thepeople@ogero.gov.lb and they said they will contact the branch to enlist my number....
Lastly i tweeted Mr Imad Kreidiyye about the issue, he replied that they are now finalising the testing and he mentioned two women in the tweet to contact me, they called today to ask about the package i wanted and she told me that tomorrow she will notify me when they will come to setup the internet at my place

I applied for the 200gb open speed package & i have some questions if anyone could help
As I understood, if someone applies to an open speed package he will automatically get a VDSL package and not ADSL? Since the speeds the engineers showed me on the cabinet were around 100 Mbits
Or i should still send my info to corporate so that they send someone to do a feasibility test on the line or no need
Since it’s an FTTC connection..

And what modem should i get to replace the OGERO one once they come and install it,
I read in another thread that tplink VR900 is a good option & do i need to get a clearance from ogero to change the router or just get the default router login credentials from them and some basic configuration?

Thanks!

#19 September 6 2018

kfc

HooZ wrote:

Hey guys just to give you a quick update, fiber in bchamoun was successfully deployed but no one is able to register yet, i contacted ogero khalde for 2 weeks non stop and they keep telling me to call the week after, i contacted thepeople@ogero.gov.lb and they said they will contact the branch to enlist my number....
Lastly i tweeted Mr Imad Kreidiyye about the issue, he replied that they are now finalising the testing and he mentioned two women in the tweet to contact me, they called today to ask about the package i wanted and she told me that tomorrow she will notify me when they will come to setup the internet at my place

I applied for the 200gb open speed package & i have some questions if anyone could help
As I understood, if someone applies to an open speed package he will automatically get a VDSL package and not ADSL? Since the speeds the engineers showed me on the cabinet were around 100 Mbits
Or i should still send my info to corporate so that they send someone to do a feasibility test on the line or no need

And what modem should i get to replace the OGERO one once they come and install it,
I read in another thread that tplink VR900 is a good option & do i need to get a clearance from ogero to change the router or just get the default router login credentials from them and some basic configuration?

Thanks!

Are you talking about FTTC or Pure fiber? in the 1st case, there is no need to install anything. you just need to change the modem to get the speed.

#20 September 7 2018

HooZ

kfc wrote:
HooZ wrote:

Thanks!

Are you talking about FTTC or Pure fiber? in the 1st case, there is no need to install anything. you just need to change the modem to get the speed.

it's FTTC, and they told me that the modem modulation is VDSL (Technicolor DWA0100) how can i get the modem configuration? i'm ordering the Asus ac68u so i need to know how to migrate my configuration from the Technicolor DWA0100 to Asus ac68u

#21 December 20 2018

TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge

HooZ wrote:
kfc wrote:
HooZ wrote:

Thanks!

it's FTTC, and they told me that the modem modulation is VDSL (Technicolor DWA0100) how can i get the modem configuration? i'm ordering the Asus ac68u so i need to know how to migrate my configuration from the Technicolor DWA0100 to Asus ac68u

Im also connected to Khalde Central getting 1.5mb on open speed Khaldeh Central was supposed to have FTTC/FTTX by the end of 2018 which is now but If you check the updated coverage list on the Ogero website it now says Q2 2019 really disappointing.

Also you need to take your Asus Modem to Ogero in Minet el Hosn for programming so you can use it with your phone line. Its free of charge and the only way for it to work with Ogero.

Last edited by TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge (December 20 2018)

Board footer