LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 3 2018

dio

New Graphics Card Help

Hey guys,

Im looking for a new card to upgrade to. I currently have a 1080 and a 780 Ti (2 PCs), I want to upgrade the 1080, move it to the 2nd PC and get a new card for my main desktop.

Thing is, I hear/read the 2080s are having issues, and I really dont want to risk a faulty card if I end up ordering it abroad because of return policies when living in Lebanon.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Thanks

Last edited by dio (December 3 2018)

#2 December 3 2018

nefe_lpmk

Re: New Graphics Card Help

the 2080 / 2080 ti in Lebanon are similar price or even cheaper than abroad. I recommend to get it from, as some cards liek Zotac have 3 years warranty.

#3 December 3 2018

dio

nefe_lpmk wrote:

the 2080 / 2080 ti in Lebanon are similar price or even cheaper than abroad. I recommend to get it from, as some cards liek Zotac have 3 years warranty.

Ok good to know.

#4 December 3 2018

Tech Guru

dio wrote:

Hey guys,

Im looking for a new card to upgrade to. I currently have a 1080 and a 780 Ti (2 PCs), I want to upgrade the 1080, move it to the 2nd PC and get a new card for my main desktop.

Thing is, I hear/read the 2080s are having issues, and I really dont want to risk a faulty card if I end up ordering it abroad because of return policies when living in Lebanon.

Thanks

It depends on the brand mate  - Zotac is the cheapest and the underwhelming in looks and it has an Nvidia PCB not a custom PCB too.

MSI Trio is better - more expensive here
Asus ROG 2080 Strix , currently available at MEIT for 1100USD - TTC - more expensive than outside
Asus ROG 2080ti Strix - will be available @ GCS begining of next week at 1750 USD.

As such I preordered the Strix from the Amazon UK ~ 1350 USD - the O11G Variant (I will ship it from UK to France then France to Beirut through luggage).

I view  Strix as  the most versatile , durable , good looking,  and cooled 2080ti from all competitors - including the MSI Trio , Gigabyte Arous Extreme , Zotac Amp.

For the failure rate do not worry , Jay 2 Cent is still using his RTX 2080ti Strix. HardwareUnboxed did a consecutive 48 hours stress test for their 2080ti FE ( Using Heaven  Benchmark , it was live during the weekend.

According to Gamers Nexus, who has been in touch off the record with numerous retailers, manufacturers, and suppliers, the RMA rate very low. Actually lower than normal. So you are hearing from a frustrated vocal minority. Which they are understandably upset, given the $ spent, and the shortage of supply makes getting a replacement take a bit longer.

https://youtu.be/WK5G2sOXb0k

From the people I know who got  the RTX cards ( 2070 , 2080 , 2080ti) nothing happened to them and they are heavy gamers.

Last edited by Tech Guru (December 4 2018)

#5 December 4 2018

dio

Tech Guru wrote:
dio wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks

It depends on the brand mate  - Zotac is the cheapest and the underwhelming in looks and it has an Nvidia PCB not a custom PCB too.

MSI Trio is better - more expensive here
Asus ROG 2080 Strix , currently available at MEIT for 1100USD - TTC - more expensive than outside
Asus ROG 2080ti Strix - will be available @ GCS begining of next week at 1750 USD.

As such I preordered the Strix from the Amazon UK ~ 1350 USD - the O11G Variant (I will ship it from UK to France then France to Beirut through luggage).

I view  Strix as  the most versatile , durable , good looking,  and cooled 2080ti from all competitors - including the MSI Trio , Gigabyte Arous Extreme , Zotac Amp.

For the failure rate do not worry , Jay 2 Cent is still using his RTX 2080ti Strix. HardwareUnboxed did a consecutive 48 hours stress test for their 2080ti FE ( Using Heaven  Benchmark , it was live during the weekend.

According to Gamers Nexus, who has been in touch off the record with numerous retailers, manufacturers, and suppliers, the RMA rate very low. Actually lower than normal. So you are hearing from a frustrated vocal minority. Which they are understandably upset, given the $ spent, and the shortage of supply makes getting a replacement take a bit longer.

https://youtu.be/WK5G2sOXb0k

From the people I know who got  the RTX cards ( 2070 , 2080 , 2080ti) nothing happened to them and they are heavy gamers.

Ok awesome. Ill check out the vid and the ROG cards.

Thanks dude

#6 December 5 2018

vlatkozelka

dio wrote:

Hey guys,

Why do you need to upgrade the 1080? Is it under-performing in any game? what resolution are you playing at?
The 2080 release is all about RTX, and currently is really only for the "enthusiasts" who are looking for the best of the best, without caring about the actual need for the card.

#7 December 5 2018

dio

vlatkozelka wrote:
dio wrote:

Hey guys,

Why do you need to upgrade the 1080? Is it under-performing in any game? what resolution are you playing at?
The 2080 release is all about RTX, and currently is really only for the "enthusiasts" who are looking for the best of the best, without caring about the actual need for the card.

It's not really an upgrade for the 1080, it's an upgrade for the 780 Ti. But since the 1080 is replacing my 780 Ti, I need to replace my 1080. If you understood that, good job.

#8 December 5 2018

xazbrat

dio wrote:
vlatkozelka wrote:
dio wrote:

Hey guys,

It's not really an upgrade for the 1080, it's an upgrade for the 780 Ti. But since the 1080 is replacing my 780 Ti, I need to replace my 1080. If you understood that, good job.

Can your system handle multiple graphic cards--maybe run 1080's in tandem on your system and upgrade the 780 to something a 1060.  It seems to be a more cost effective solution if it will work for you.

#9 December 6 2018

dio

xazbrat wrote:
dio wrote:
vlatkozelka wrote:

Can your system handle multiple graphic cards--maybe run 1080's in tandem on your system and upgrade the 780 to something a 1060.  It seems to be a more cost effective solution if it will work for you.

Ill consider it. Right now im thinking a 1080 Ti would be a better choice. Im not really interested in the fluff of RTX with loss of frames.

#10 December 6 2018

Tech Guru

dio wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
dio wrote:

Ill consider it. Right now im thinking a 1080 Ti would be a better choice. Im not really interested in the fluff of RTX with loss of frames.

What are your resolution mate

The increase in cuda cores and memory bandwidth due to GDDR 6 helps the 2080ti on both 2160p or 2560 × 1440p 165hz or Ultawide  3440 × 1440p 100hz gaming  - in raw rasterization  rendering performance aside from RT or DLSS.  Across the board resolution  benefit in the min and max fps.

If you refer to my last post on 2080ti thread ,RT is already optimized with a significant boost in  BF 5 with real time ray tracing being on Ultra. More time more optimization in any new technology , no hardware limitaion from RTX 2080ti. It is simply the 1st game (BF 5 ) that introduces Real Time Ray Tracing to the gamer end more to go with additional titles.

If I were in your shoes and buidling a new system or upgrading from an old gen - I never invest in an old gen too , I always go what technology offers me now. The newer architecture.

RTX 2080 is a better investment than the 1080ti ,and in Lebanon the Asus ROG  RTX 2080 strix  is being sold for USD 900 TTC.

Last edited by Tech Guru (December 6 2018)

#11 December 6 2018

dio

Tech Guru wrote:
dio wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

The increase in cuda cores and memory bandwidth due to GDDR 6 helps the 2080ti on both 2160p or 2560 × 1440p 165hz or Ultawide  3440 × 1440p 100hz gaming  - in raw rasterization  rendering performance aside from RT or DLSS.  Across the board resolution  benefit in the min and max fps.

If you refer to my last post on 2080ti thread ,RT is already optimized with a significant boost in  BF 5 with real time ray tracing being on Ultra. More time more optimization in any new technology , no hardware limitaion from RTX 2080ti. It is simply the 1st game (BF 5 ) that introduces Real Time Ray Tracing to the gamer end more to go with additional titles.

If I were in your shoes and buidling a new system or upgrading from an old gen - I never invest in an old gen too , I always go what technology offers me now. The newer architecture.

RTX 2080 is a better investment than the 1080ti ,and in Lebanon the Asus ROG  RTX 2080 strix  is being sold for USD 900 TTC.

Im running 1440p @ 144hz. And playing BF5, right now im getting between 90-120 frames, but cuz im tryharding, im lowering the settings and keeping the essential ones for maximum visuals.

Is the 2080 THAT much better? Wouldnt a 1080 Ti outperform a 2080?

#12 December 6 2018

Tech Guru

dio wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
dio wrote:

Im running 1440p @ 144hz. And playing BF5, right now im getting between 90-120 frames, but cuz im tryharding, im lowering the settings and keeping the essential ones for maximum visuals.

No Mate

Less Cuda Cores yet 13%  faster than the 1080ti on some titles and on par on others , but never slower  -till now the gap will increases as drivers will become more optimized , developers get use to the new architecture.

With an added advantage of :

DLSS ( 25 Supported titles till now waiting to be patched only including PUBG , Shadow of the Tomraider , FF 15 ...)   , RT Cores , Tensor Cores , AI , Neural Networks

HDR Tone Mapping

Hybrid Rendering

Dedicated HDR PipeLine to reduce latency with HDR , HDR on Pascal is a real latency mess up since it is SW processed.

Better Frame Pacing

GDDR6

DP 1.4a with DSC

RT

It is a definite leap in technology.

Last edited by Tech Guru (December 6 2018)

#13 December 6 2018

infiniteloop

It would be nice to share your findings about 2070 and 2080 prices in Lebanon

Last edited by infiniteloop (December 6 2018)

#14 December 6 2018

dio

Tech Guru wrote:
dio wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

No Mate

Less Cuda Cores yet 13%  faster than the 1080ti on some titles and on par on others , but never slower  -till now the gap will increases as drivers will become more optimized , developers get use to the new architecture.

With an added advantage of :

DLSS ( 25 Supported titles till now waiting to be patched only including PUBG , Shadow of the Tomraider , FF 15 ...)   , RT Cores , Tensor Cores , AI , Neural Networks

HDR Tone Mapping

Hybrid Rendering

Dedicated HDR PipeLine to reduce latency with HDR , HDR on Pascal is a real latency mess up since it is SW processed.

Better Frame Pacing

GDDR6

DP 1.4a with DSC

RT

It is a definite leap in technology.

Ok you've convinced me, 2080 it is.

I will share with you the prices I've found.

#15 December 7 2018

dio

So PCandParts replied with he following:

1) ZOTAC ZT-T20800A-10P GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Blower 8GB GDDR6 PCIe GPU for $789.00

https://pcandparts.com/zotac-zt-t20800a … lower-8gb/

2) ZOTAC ZT-T20800B-10P GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 AMP Extreme 8GB GDDR6 PCIe GPU for $899.00

https://pcandparts.com/zotac-zt-t20800b … treme-8gb/

3) ZOTAC ZT-T20800F-10P GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Twin Fan 11GB for $815.00

https://pcandparts.com/zotac-zt-t20800f … -fan-11gb/

Which do you think is the best value for performance?

#16 December 8 2018

infiniteloop

11gb instead of 8gb for only 25$ difference? Take the 3rd option then
Looks like they finally dropped the prices here

#17 December 8 2018

MrClass

an RTX2080 with 11GB? That's not possible

#18 December 8 2018

Tech Guru

dio wrote:

So PCandParts replied with he following:

1) ZOTAC ZT-T20800A-10P GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Blower 8GB GDDR6 PCIe GPU for $789.00

https://pcandparts.com/zotac-zt-t20800a … lower-8gb/

2) ZOTAC ZT-T20800B-10P GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 AMP Extreme 8GB GDDR6 PCIe GPU for $899.00

https://pcandparts.com/zotac-zt-t20800b … treme-8gb/

3) ZOTAC ZT-T20800F-10P GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Twin Fan 11GB for $815.00

https://pcandparts.com/zotac-zt-t20800f … -fan-11gb/

Which do you think is the best value for performance?

Frankly I do not prefer Zotac

None Custom PCB
No Semi Passive Cooling
No Plastic Shroud

Contact MEIT or GSC ( Ask for Giscrad the GM) they both have the Asus ROG 2080 Strix

One of the best efficient Cooling
More Voltage Phases ( More Head Room to OC without throtelling)
Higher Power Limit
Better Looks

Last edited by Tech Guru (December 8 2018)

#19 December 8 2018

Tech Guru

infiniteloop wrote:

11gb instead of 8gb for only 25$ difference? Take the 3rd option then
Looks like they finally dropped the prices here

RTX 2080 like the GTX 1080 is limited to 8 GB VRAM , but GDDR5x vs GDDR6 yielding more memory bamdwdith on turing.

#20 December 10 2018

dio

What about the Founder's Edition?

#21 December 14 2018

VincentKeyboard

Keep the 780Ti in a box in the closet even if you won't use it anymore. This is a legendary card. It's the last card before NVIDIA began requiring signed GPU Firmware.

#22 December 15 2018

Tech Guru

dio wrote:

What about the Founder's Edition?

Go for the RTX 2080 ROG Asus mate available here or the Gigabyte Arous Xtreme RTX 2080.  Both are much better thab the FE Edition

Cooling
Custom PCBs
Higher Power Limits
More Voltage Phases

Board footer