LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 27 2018

Tech Guru

Black Friday scams in Lebanon

May 2018:
LG washer/dryer 10kg/7kg was at 1279$.

November 2018:
1369$ (black friday)!!

Khoury home ALWAYS THE BEST CHOICE ?
والشاطر بشطارتو!

V6VJ2Su.jpg

Last edited by Tech Guru (November 27 2018)

#2 November 27 2018

xazbrat

Re: Black Friday scams in Lebanon

Yeah--these guys haven't figured out that the internet tells the truth better than they claim to.  Most BF deals here are to clear old inventory and bait and switch where you come in looking for an item (which they had one of) and point you at something more expensive and less discounted.

Just be careful out there--don't believe what they are saying.  Do the research yourself.

#3 November 27 2018

Aly

Not surprised at all, i have seen many similar scams from different retailers on facebook.
Black Friday is fake as fuck in Lebanon.

#4 November 27 2018

Kareem

But then... only in Lebanon.

#5 November 27 2018

infiniteloop

Sales managers nowadays live in another planet made of numbers and ''profit'' and forget reality

#6 November 27 2018

AVOlio

You should post this on their Facebook or Twitter page or wherever they are more active on Social Media.

#7 November 28 2018

chosen2k

I'm going to give you a hint. Look at the image on the left, the yellow part where there's the price tag, if you look closely you see TWO yellow tags (sometimes more, they're too lazy to keep one only). Remove them and check the prices they're all different for the same item and they randomly chose to put the one they want. Now switch to the lower price and ask them to match it.

Anyways scamming is happening daily in this country, I learned that when I want an item the best way is Google a list of companies that might carry it and call them all. The time lost googling and calling < time lost driving in traffic to get to 1 retailer.
Last time I did this was for a Canon camera the prices ranged from --> $750 (with no accessories) to $488 (with all accessories) with a few shops selling it for $604 dollars in between.

Edit: Additionally, clothes shops in malls jack up their prices and then make a sale to retail price. Make sure not to fall for that too.

Last edited by chosen2k (November 28 2018)

#8 November 29 2018

Kazouza

I was quite surprised that this actually happens in France as well.
It's funny how people claim that it only happens "in France" or "in Lebanon".

#9 November 30 2018

Elied

Kazouza wrote:

I was quite surprised that this actually happens in France as well.
It's funny how people claim that it only happens "in France" or "in Lebanon".

I saw something similar posted about a couple of big stores in Switzerland as well, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if this even happened in the US.

#10 November 30 2018

rolf

1520 to 1369 - how is that 70%? It's not.
Anyway, I check the prices online before buying. And I'm talking about shoes, so for a washing machine I would do it for sure.
Except when I find something from a place I trust and I know it's a good deal for sure, then I can sometimes buy it on the spot. For example an i7 laptop for $400.

#11 December 4 2018

nuclearcat

It is good someone name and shame it. Before i was buying lot of stuff from Khoury home, now i will reconsider that, and will share pic with friends. This is plainly scam.
Even taking in consideration VAT increase there is no discount visible at all.

#12 December 4 2018

xazbrat

nuclearcat wrote:

It is good someone name and shame it. Before i was buying lot of stuff from Khoury home, now i will reconsider that, and will share pic with friends. This is plainly scam.
Even taking in consideration VAT increase there is no discount visible at all.

Caveat emptor

If you think it is a good value, then buy it.  Don't buy it because it is on sale.  If you want to be a little sneaky and do some research on the spot, use a bar code app and get a better idea of hat you are buying and how much it is elsewhere.  Don't scan their code they have listed next to the price but rather the one from the manufacturer.  I found a lot of older models this way that had been or were listed on souq.com or on Indian sites and got an idea of the reviews on them and the price.

And you should try to be sneaky about it---they probably wouldn't like what you are doing.

Board footer