LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 17 2018

Cage

Immigrating to Canada using ....

Hello guys , I still didn't finish college but i am already thinking about immigrating to Canada . Is it easy ? Is there a possibility they wont take me in ? i know there is the Express Entry program and finding job opportunities and i think those are my only options . Has anyone here tried immigrating using the previous options? i heard that the with the express entry you'll have to prove you have settlement fees which is around like 9000$ if i remember correctly. so i am thinking of is i finish my Bachelor's, start working (i am studying Computer Engineering ) i apply for jobs there hope they accept for some reason . if that doesn't work i keep saving up until i finish Masters and then i apply for the the Express Entry program and get accepted after doing English Tests and showing the needed documents. Is the way i am thinking of this right or not ? Can anyone here share their journey of their immigration to Canada?

#2 November 18 2018

Toufic

Re: Immigrating to Canada using ....

Cage wrote:

Hello guys , I still didn't finish college but i am already thinking about immigrating to Canada . Is it easy ? Is there a possibility they wont take me in ? i know there is the Express Entry program and finding job opportunities and i think those are my only options . Has anyone here tried immigrating using the previous options? i heard that the with the express entry you'll have to prove you have settlement fees which is around like 9000$ if i remember correctly. so i am thinking of is i finish my Bachelor's, start working (i am studying Computer Engineering ) i apply for jobs there hope they accept for some reason . if that doesn't work i keep saving up until i finish Masters and then i apply for the the Express Entry program and get accepted after doing English Tests and showing the needed documents. Is the way i am thinking of this right or not ? Can anyone here share their journey of their immigration to Canada?

Quick note on this:

Just apply for masters there.
Much easier on all levels for the future if you do that.

The express entry is one way but in terms of work experience, i don't think you'll fit the criteria for eligibility (i could be wrong though)
There are a couple of language tests you'll need to do as well (can be done in beirut off course)

There are other systems like getting sponsorship but if you're still aged around 20, pursue education there (either way you'll need to do some studying to balance out courses according to their system).

#3 November 18 2018

Cage

Toufic wrote:
Cage wrote:

Quick note on this:

The express entry is one way but in terms of work experience, i don't think you'll fit the criteria for eligibility (i could be wrong though)
There are a couple of language tests you'll need to do as well (can be done in beirut off course)

There are other systems like getting sponsorship but if you're still aged around 20, pursue education there (either way you'll need to do some studying to balance out courses according to their system).

Seems like an idea so its like applying for study permit and i think if am not wrong that after one finishes studying there they him sometime to work there like 2 3 years i dont know.

#4 November 19 2018

Toufic

Cage wrote:
Toufic wrote:
Cage wrote:

Quick note on this:

Seems like an idea so its like applying for study permit and i think if am not wrong that after one finishes studying there they him sometime to work there like 2 3 years i dont know.

You could say so.

Simply don't waste time here. Those couple of years of doing your masters would be invested both in their education/system plus as part of your integration into the society/Province. Not to mention the resources you'd investing in a better recognized institute/country which will help later with nationality claim.

There was another thread on a similar topic. Search about it. Might give you further insight.

#5 November 19 2018

dp0001

if you're studying computer engineering and still in its' beginnings I can offer you one advice for your future. You will be able to earn a lot of money in the west and then years later also a lot of money anywhere else.

specialize in IT security, but I mean go as deep as the rabbit hole goes.

a couple of years back I had close friends working in that field, white hat, fresh off Polytechnique earning 100k a year as security analysts in Canada which was, at that time behind the US by 3 years.

#6 November 19 2018

thegodfatherdany

I agree coming to Canada as a grad student is the easiest path. I am a masters student at Queen's University now and will be done by April. If you dont have enough to cover the tuition fees, u should come and do a MSc. (thesis) and they will fund your tuition and stay in Canada . Msc is usually longer in duration than MEng. but you get paid for your stay unlike MEng. which is not funded. French universities are cheaper also if you look for some in the province of Quebec.

Computer engineering and software engineering/computer science are related to most of the jobs that come up in front of me and yes they pay pretty well around 65-75K CAD before taxes a year for fresh graduates i believe.

Last edited by thegodfatherdany (November 19 2018)

#7 November 24 2018

Cage

thegodfatherdany wrote:

I agree coming to Canada as a grad student is the easiest path. I am a masters student at Queen's University now and will be done by April. If you dont have enough to cover the tuition fees, u should come and do a MSc. (thesis) and they will fund your tuition and stay in Canada . Msc is usually longer in duration than MEng. but you get paid for your stay unlike MEng. which is not funded. French universities are cheaper also if you look for some in the province of Quebec.

Computer engineering and software engineering/computer science are related to most of the jobs that come up in front of me and yes they pay pretty well around 65-75K CAD before taxes a year for fresh graduates i believe.

Hey i would i like to ask how you went there and if you applied under any program for the Queen's University so i can have more info i am 17 now and currently in my first semester studying Computer Engineering . If i finish my Bachelor's degree here and go for Msc there will there be any problem? if i am studying Engineering ? I would also like to know what things will i have to pay for there if i go pursue my Masters in Canada as my family's financial situation isn't that good i am also searching for a job so i can save up some money for this process. I would also like to know when did u apply for the studying permit in Canada , should i apply after i finish my Bachelor's or before ? Thanks in advance!

#8 November 24 2018

thegodfatherdany

Cage wrote:

Hey i would i like to ask how you went there and if you applied under any program for the Queen's University so i can have more info i am 17 now and currently in my first semester studying Computer Engineering . If i finish my Bachelor's degree here and go for Msc there will there be any problem? if i am studying Engineering ? I would also like to know what things will i have to pay for there if i go pursue my Masters in Canada as my family's financial situation isn't that good i am also searching for a job so i can save up some money for this process. I would also like to know when did u apply for the studying permit in Canada , should i apply after i finish my Bachelor's or before ? Thanks in advance!

Hey, No i just applied to the program i was interested in. Same as you apply for any university. You have to see the deadlines for the program intake at each university. Since you re 17, i say you ll have quite few years to reach this. I am not sure if you pay for MSc and then get paid back or they just pay you, ill have to check on that. Regarding financing your stay here, it depends on the program you are enrolled in. Some universities tuition are like AUB/LAU and some are cheaper/ some more expensive. Again, it depends on the program. MBA at Queen's is like 80,000 USD. For MSc in engineering, it should be around 5K CAD per semester and u get around 45 or 50K funding over 2 years, which is the duration of the MSc program usually.

You can also work on a student visa for 20hrs/week. Some students work more than that but it might cause a problem with immigration services later so better not risk it.  Minimum wage is 14$ in Ontario and similar in other provinces. Took me almost 2 months to land a part time job at Walmart. You ll be able to cover your rent and expenses considering you do not live in downtown Toronto. Rent in Montreal is almost half that of Toronto's.

There shouldn't be a problem in moving as long as u can get an equivalent of your degree relative to Canadian institutions. If you are studying in a French university, i think it is easier to apply for french schools (Quebec). I am not sure of that. I have seen students in Queens from BAU, AUB, and NDU (myself and others before me).

For the visa, you only apply for it once you get an acceptance from a school because you need the acceptance letter when applying for a visa. Visa takes around 2 months or less as far as i remember. Consider having your IELTS and language tests if needed almost 1 year before the program starts. So if you want to start in September, admission intake for international students is usually around the December of the previous year. Again, it depends on the program but that should give you an idea. If you want to directly move from bachelors to masters here, you ll need to apply during your final year of undergrad in Lebanon.

Board footer