LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 17 2018

RandomMemory

Spotify is now available in lebanon

Very good service. Hopefully paypal next

#2 November 17 2018

xazbrat

Re: Spotify is now available in lebanon

Yeah--forgot to mention it.  It came out on Tuesday.    The premium service is $5 a month--probably worth it IMO.

I wouldn't worry about paypal though--ebay will start stop using them starting next year and will use a company that other companies suck as Spotify and Netflix use so hopefully it will be done in a way that people here can use a paypal like service and get stuff from ebay.

#3 November 17 2018

nefe_lpmk

Well Anghami premium is good also, support local services.

#4 November 17 2018

Draguen

Well, Regarding Anghami vs Deezer vs Spotify, each has their one plus and minuses:

Anghami is a Lebanese start-up that you can pay directly from your alfa or touch credit, and it's usually bundled with some data. Anghami also can work with spotty 3g/4g connections. however the app has a HORRIBLE User Interface, especially if you have a notched device.

Deezer, which i recently started using, gives you the option to download songs in high quality, and frankly when i blast the songs in my car, it matters tremendously, unfortunately not all songs are available such as for Adonis, where only half their songs are available to stream.

Spotify can pair with Google Home, i haven't tried the service yet but i remember very clearly that in order to pair a music account with google home, you either had to had google play music (not available) or spotify premium. it is to be noted that i haven't tried spotify yet.

N.B: i've also tried the anghami option to download songs in high quality, but i doesn't compare to deezer's

Also as for now, you have 6 month of free Deezer prenium, so no ads even if you don't pay.

Last edited by Draguen (November 17 2018)

#5 November 17 2018

duke-of-bytes

i get all my music from youtube ... free

#6 November 17 2018

Draguen

duke-of-bytes wrote:

Dude, your data consumption must be horrible, plus ads.

#7 November 17 2018

duke-of-bytes

Draguen wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

Dude, your data consumption must be horrible, plus ads.

i download the songs from youtube on unlimited wifi

#8 November 17 2018

nefe_lpmk

Well you can do it, doesn't make it ideal.
Also, Youtube audio quality is not that great. With premium subscription with the above you can get 320 songs.
Plus it is a pain to listen to something on Youtube while doing something else, as you will need Youtube premium or android multi-task.

@Draguen:
Thanks for the comparison

Last edited by nefe_lpmk (November 18 2018)

#9 November 17 2018

Doom

Anghami offers 320kbps music too.

#10 November 17 2018

xazbrat

Soundcloud is pretty good and you can find some non mainstream music and some mixes that people have uploaded.  I also use Tunein Radio as that has channels dedicated to particular genres as well as radio stations from around the world.  I use those two apps when I work out (free wifi and bt earphones). I need to mess around with spotify and get that going too.

I don't care too much about arabic music, but I know there are a bunch of lebanese stations on Tunein if I wanted to listen to any.

Last edited by xazbrat (November 17 2018)

#11 November 18 2018

Flakk

Moved from Anghami to Spotify, very happy with the premium service so far.

#12 November 19 2018

Kareem

Been using Deezer and Spotify since 2015.... Deezer > Spotify.

#13 November 19 2018

NuclearVision

i use deezer and anghami. they kind of have the same songs, like if these companies buy their songs rights from the same place.
While i do like deezer, i am used to anghami: i am a free user so i couldn't repeat/rewind etc until recently.

For me, since they offer the same, if i decide to pay, it would be local anghami: they're offering 3 months for 0.49$.

#14 November 19 2018

AVOlio

Are you guys seriously subscribed to paid music subscriptions and are talking about it?
As one user said, YouTube...

#15 November 19 2018

Kareem

AVOlio wrote:

Are you guys seriously subscribed to paid music subscriptions and are talking about it?

I really don't want to youtube over 4G when listening to music in my car....

#16 November 19 2018

NuclearVision

AVOlio wrote:

Not practical.... At all...

#17 November 19 2018

RandomMemory

What's the problem with paid music subs. All the music in one place, they have algorithms for Discovery and recommendation, uses way less bandwidth than YouTube especially when you're doing something on the computer and it syncs accross all devices with offline playing. Also I like spotify among them all because they have the best windows/Linux client, meanwhile anghami is just an electronic wrapper.

Last edited by RandomMemory (November 19 2018)

#18 November 19 2018

samer
Admin

Spotify's Discover Weekly works very well for me. 10 bucks a month for high bitrate, no ads and proper mobile support is an easy sell.

#19 November 19 2018

RandomMemory

it's only 5$ a month in lebanon

#20 November 20 2018

NuclearVision

I installed spotify and weird enough they're not spamming to pay for a subscription, in fact i tried searching where to subscibe and i couldn't find it. They did not even say i'm on trial or something.
I assume it's free because newly launched.
I also found that unlike deezer and aghami, I couldn't download my songs for offline use in spotify.

Edit: ok i found the option, it says my account is free and "premium can't be purchased in this app", I'm on ios iPad.
Edit2: it seems that spotify don't process purchases through apple's appstore.

Point is, it's a very good free service, no ads or spams, very clean interface.

Last edited by NuclearVision (November 20 2018)

#21 November 21 2018

samer
Admin

I also found that unlike deezer and aghami, I couldn't download my songs for offline use in spotify.

You can add them to a playlist, and make the playlist available offline.

The free account will only allow you to shuffle songs, not play a full album in order, for example.

Board footer