LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 October 5 2018

hkbazzi

Re: Ordering smartphones from abroad

my phone is in customs right now

#27 October 5 2018

LifeEngineer

themike10452 wrote:

I called them last week and they told me LibanPost does cooperate with MoT, and will start handling smartphone customs on October 1st. She said I can call back in October to have more info, but since my shipment is handled by Aramex I won't be calling back.

Yeah technically it was October 3rd when I called them ... But yeah whatever... Maybe she doesn't know or maybe that didn't happen! God knows!

#28 October 5 2018

themike10452

hkbazzi wrote:

my phone is in customs right now

Fingers crossed.

#29 October 11 2018

NuclearVision

I hate to be the guy that brings such an update, but a dude has his phone held at customs just today in the aliexpress thread, i guess nothing has changed...

#30 October 11 2018

mmk92

I am that dude 

It's held by customs but i still don't know whether LibanPost will take care of the MoT stuff or not

#31 October 12 2018

hkbazzi

Alright guys I"m gonna make a separate thread on how to get smartphones from abroad stay tuned

#32 October 12 2018

themike10452

NuclearVision wrote:

I hate to be the guy that brings such an update, but a dude has his phone held at customs just today in the aliexpress thread, i guess nothing has changed...

Mine was held by customs too. I payed Aramex 175$ to get it out (and do the MoT thing), haven't even payed customs yet.

hkbazzi wrote:

Alright guys I"m gonna make a separate thread on how to get smartphones from abroad stay tuned

Yes please, I would like to know what happens at MoT and what fees you have to pay, since Aramex charged me 175$ to do it. I decided not to go do it myself and let them handle it, but it's taking too long.

edit: I found your post, thanks for the info. I'm glad I didn't go there myself.

Last edited by themike10452 (October 12 2018)

#33 October 18 2018

mmk92

An update from my side:

Got a Xiaomi Pocophone F1 for $304 in late August (they estimated the price at 300,000L.L)

Stopped at customs. Went through the same process as hkbazzi (his guide saved me a lot of time, thank you)

All in all I had to pay 70,000 L.L at customs total + 30,000 L.L transportation + around 6 hours total of my time to get everything settled.

It was not worth my trouble to be honest.

I would suggest going through this process for the following reasons:
- The phone is not being sold in Lebanon
- The phone is significantly cheaper and you'd justify
- You have a lot of time to spare (they only open Monday Friday from 8 till 2-3pm)

#34 October 18 2018

NuclearVision

themike10452 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Mine was held by customs too. I payed Aramex 175$ to get it out (and do the MoT thing), haven't even payed customs yet.

hkbazzi wrote:

Yes please, I would like to know what happens at MoT and what fees you have to pay, since Aramex charged me 175$ to do it. I decided not to go do it myself and let them handle it, but it's taking too long.

edit: I found your post, thanks for the info. I'm glad I didn't go there myself.

aramex, dhl, and other express post are basically a ripoff.
If you're not in a hurry and have some time to clear customs, ship with normal airmail (china post, usps) You'll save on shipping, and other hidden fees, read the the thread hkbazzi started.

#35 October 19 2018

themike10452

mmk92 wrote:

An update from my side:

Got a Xiaomi Pocophone F1 for $304 in late August (they estimated the price at 300,000L.L)

Stopped at customs. Went through the same process as hkbazzi (his guide saved me a lot of time, thank you)

All in all I had to pay 70,000 L.L at customs total + 30,000 L.L transportation + around 6 hours total of my time to get everything settled.

It was not worth my trouble to be honest.

I would suggest going through this process for the following reasons:
- The phone is not being sold in Lebanon
- The phone is significantly cheaper and you'd justify
- You have a lot of time to spare (they only open Monday Friday from 8 till 2-3pm)

I received my OnePlus yesterday.

Aramex handled everything related to customs and MoT, they charged 175$, I chose not to go myself and waste two days because I don't live in Beirut.

Customs estimated the phone at 300,000 LL as well, I had to pay 92,000 LBP in Tax (which shows how inconsistent Tax rates are in this country).

All in all I think it was kind of worth it, since I don't want a Samsung/Huawei/iPhone, and the phone is not available here. But I would think twice before ordering a phone again, if the current laws are still applied.

#36 November 9 2018

AVOlio

I just bought a second hand oneplus phone which was bought in UAE and brought with the buyer here in Lebanon on the plane on June 2018.
When I put my sim in the phone, I got the 90 days sms notice.

Are customs also applicable on items that have been brought with on a plane??
Not to mention that I bought it second hand.

#37 November 9 2018

NuclearVision

You might need to register it with MoT. They gave tourists 90days window so they can use their phones while here.

#38 November 9 2018

duke-of-bytes

What if you work abroad and comes every 6 months or year ...how would the 90 days count?

#39 November 10 2018

themike10452

duke-of-bytes wrote:

What if you work abroad and comes every 6 months or year ...how would the 90 days count?

My cousin came to the country a few days ago and got the same message from MoT. He works abroad and keeps visiting every few months. I guess we'll find out next time he visits.

#40 November 10 2018

themike10452

AVOlio wrote:

I just bought a second hand oneplus phone which was bought in UAE and brought with the buyer here in Lebanon on the plane on June 2018.
When I put my sim in the phone, I got the 90 days sms notice.

Are customs also applicable on items that have been brought with on a plane??
Not to mention that I bought it second hand.

Yes, every phone that enters the country by any means has to be registered, if you bought it yourself and brought it with you on a plane.

Board footer