LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#76 September 20 2018

AVOlio

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

25-31% performance increase from 1080ti to 2080ti, with a price increase of 70%?

No thanks, i'l get me a 1080ti whenever i find a good deal.

#77 September 20 2018

anayman_k7

AVOlio wrote:

25-31% performance increase from 1080ti to 2080ti, with a price increase of 70%?

No thanks, i'l get me a 1080ti whenever i find a good deal.

Based on some opinions you might regret not riding the technology/hype train, leaving yourself behind in the dust with an OLD gen, not getting the benefit of the (non existent yet) few games with Ray Tracing that you might play 1 of them at 1080p 60fps with a 1200$ card, and missing the ability to play a DLSS game (which is also not yet existent) on a 4k monitor but with a lower up-scaled resolution (half 4k resolution upscaled to 4k with image enhancement based on will be provided through the drivers for EACH GAME from Nvidia).

Ok enough sarcasm, when RTX/DLSS matures we will have a newer generation from Nvidia, thanks for the donors who paid for the 2000 series to make that possible.

* GTX 2080 Ti = 1200$ = ~30% faster than GTX 1080 Ti (700$) = Run 4k Games 60fps+ On Ultra = Run RTX Games at 1080p 60Hz = Run A Smart Upscaled 4k DLSS
* GTX 2080 = 800$ = Same Performance as GTX 1080 Ti (700$) = Less 3GB VRAM = No info on RTX Performance yet

The GTX 2070 is rumored not have RTX, the MSRP is 500$ but it is expected to cost more for sure (around 600$), it will struggle to find its place, the GTX 1080 Ti might make absolute just like the GTX 2080

#78 September 20 2018

Tech Guru

I do not know how you got the average increases:

In  traditional rasterisation  the RTX 2080ti on average is faster than the GTX 1080ti by 37 % on 2160p Ultra, more is expected on the long run with additional releases of AAA titles and as  more drivers will be tweaked after initial lunch  . It kills the GTX 1080ti on 2160p Ultra  without compromises at above 60fps performance. That is a great leap indeed in modern AAA titles that the GTX 1080ti failed to have a constant 60fps experience with a lot of dips. To me it is a definite upgrade.

Here comes DLSS that greatly widen the gap with above 50 % gains on supported DLSS titles ( 29 Till now)

Anandtech:

"and the RTX 2080 Ti would be offering 37%"

Concerning the price , it is a lunch price and prices will normalize after lunch.  Remember , new technology always costs especially with high prices  of current V-Ram/Ram models, the TU 102 in the RTX 2080ti contains 18.9 billion transistors in 752 mm2 die size and that includes three discrete processors: the Turing SM, the RT Core, and the Tensor Core compared to GP 102 in the 1080ti that contains 14 billion transistor with a die size of 471 mm2.

Turing offers Real time ray tracing to the end customer which needs a lot of computational power and established a new foundation of rendering away from regular  rasterization rendering. That is not possible before at all and require 3 V100 Graphic cards working to render real time ray tracing.

Giving a generalization / or assumption on alpha/beta testing of RT is objective, MS will role their Windows 10 RT Direct 12 API in October along with Nvidia mature drivers and patches of RT in released games that support it ( Shadow Tomb Raider now).  ‘Tomb Raider’ devs respond to RTX 2080 Ti, ray tracing performance concerns / https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing … -concerns/ - People like to bash a lot about new tech  since in expensive in already expensive environment.  To me I do not care about money in evolving tech to assure my max game-play  needs / satisfaction on AAA titles and online demanding titles  - 2160p Ultra with no compromises and  multiplayer - 100hz locked on 3440 *1440p and 200hz locked on 3440*1440p @ 200hz at the upcoming  PG 35VQ which I will drop and replace my current PG 348Q.

Last edited by Tech Guru (September 20 2018)

#79 September 20 2018

Tech Guru

DLSS Power in Turing will Smoke Pascal Deep:

Source EuroGamer (Digital Foundry on YouTube) :

"But obviously the RTX 2080 Ti is equipped with the same technology, and up against the GTX 1080 Ti it's 39 per cent faster with the like-for-like TAA enabled, rising to an impressive 95 per cent boost once DLSS is factored into the equation. In our general gameplay testing, we found that the RTX 2080 Ti is a phenomenal 4K performer just relying on standard rasterisation performance - but DLSS takes things into a whole different category. "

"At the most fundamental level, a lower resolution image is generated, and then a deep learning algorithm programmatically upscale the image based on 'learnt behaviour' sourced by Nvidia's 'Saturn V' super-computer, studying extreme resolution game imagery, finding patterns in their composition and building it all into a reconstruction algorithm just a few megabytes in size".

"But the idea of a super-computer being able to give instructions to a consumer level GPU to 'magic up' missing detail sounded rather implausible when it was first presented at Gamescom. However, based on the results I've seen so far, I'm happy to eat my words. We'll be talking more about image quality in due course, but suffice to say that we're getting a look here that exceeds the quality of checkerboarding and can even improve a native presentation."

"RTX 2080 and it's likely to get plenty of tempting deals in the short term. The RTX 2080 is almost 12 per cent faster over 1080ti, but as the other benchmarks shall reveal, it's not always such a clear-cut lead. However, with DLSS active, that 12 per cent lead rises to 58 per cent."

Source: Forbes

"However, DLSS appeared to have advantages elsewhere. Below you can see the same frame, but in a different spot above the car looking at the trees. There was much more detail on show with DLSS than there was with TAA".  i1zu8vO.jpg  Y1EmRf7.jpg 4WxSZlK.jpg HxGPQxR.jpg beGOHuL.jpg  https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleat … 170c5059fe   https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi … -ti-review

#80 September 22 2018

PowerPC

Tech Guru wrote:
anayman_k7 wrote:

The benchmarks are out, based on price per performance it seems that the GTX2080 is a bad buy when it has a slight better performance compared to the GTX1080Ti with less VRAM and for 100$ to 150$ more!

When the drivers are mature are more enough and DLSS role out , 1080 will not have a chance. 1080ti need to be compared with the 2080ti and 2080 with the 1080 .

the 1080ti is screwed deep but people who paid a hefty amounts for their 1080tis are trying to "self convince themselves"that upgrading to turing is not worthy , to deep inside they know a gen to gen architectural changes , increase in cuda core , new memory ,new optimizations , new features is always a win situation. Truth about evolving tech were " self convincing" to stick themselves with old gen.

So people with ti's are just "self convincing themselves" that upgrading is not worthy? Nothing to do with the multitude of reviewers claiming this generation of cards is poor value as it stands right now?

if you want to be on the bleeding edge, money no cost, then by all means enjoy your 2080ti. But the majority like to consider the value they're getting for their investment. AS IT STANDS NOW (i.e with little to no data on RTX and DLSS in actual games) the 20 series offers very poor FPS per dollar compared to Pascal.
People being hesitant is totally understandable. Things might change in the future with drivers and more games being released, but few want to pay money for promises, they'd rather see the results first.

#81 September 22 2018

Tech Guru

PowerPC wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
anayman_k7 wrote:

The benchmarks are out, based on price per performance it seems that the GTX2080 is a bad buy when it has a slight better performance compared to the GTX1080Ti with less VRAM and for 100$ to 150$ more!

When the drivers are mature are more enough and DLSS role out , 1080 will not have a chance. 1080ti need to be compared with the 2080ti and 2080 with the 1080 .

the 1080ti is screwed deep but people who paid a hefty amounts for their 1080tis are trying to "self convince themselves"that upgrading to turing is not worthy , to deep inside they know a gen to gen architectural changes , increase in cuda core , new memory ,new optimizations , new features is always a win situation. Truth about evolving tech were " self convincing" to stick themselves with old gen.

So people with ti's are just "self convincing themselves" that upgrading is not worthy? Nothing to do with the multitude of reviewers claiming this generation of cards is poor value as it stands right now?

if you want to be on the bleeding edge, money no cost, then by all means enjoy your 2080ti. But the majority like to consider the value they're getting for their investment. AS IT STANDS NOW (i.e with little to no data on RTX and DLSS in actual games) the 20 series offers very poor FPS per dollar compared to Pascal.
People being hesitant is totally understandable. Things might change in the future with drivers and more games being released, but few want to pay money for promises, they'd rather see the results first.

Here is the catch

Why RTX Turing is a Leap ( In a summary without diving to the architecture )

First - 2160p Ultra with AA Performance:

Digital Foundry is a very subjective website , RTX 2080ti in their analysis was pulling ahead of 60fps in many games they have tested ( max IQ and most brutle AA were used) it is the 1st true 2160p enjoyable experience without IQ compromises. Even the i7 8700k bottlenecked the rtx 2080ti on 1440p high refresh rates.

Take Far Cry 5 2160p TAA Ultra for example:

2080ti: 72 Fps Average , 64 min
1080ti: 55 Fps Average , 48fps min

This min kills the experience in the 1080ti that I faced on 2160p and many other demanding AAA titles.  RTX 2080ti on 2160p Ultra with Heavy AA too performance is phenomenal without DLSS.

Digital Foundry Review of the RTX 2080 / 2080Ti

https://youtu.be/pgEI4tzh0dc

Second -Pricing:

Concerning the price , it is a lunch price and prices will normalize after lunch.  Remember , new technology always costs especially with high prices  of current V-Ram/Ram models, the TU 102 in the RTX 2080ti contains 18.9 billion transistors in 752 mm2 die size and that includes three discrete processors: the Turing SM, the RT Core, and the Tensor Core compared to GP 102 in the 1080ti that contains 14 billion transistor with a die size of 471 mm2.

HDR:

Turing display engine now supports HDR processing natively   that reduces input latency issues Pascal faced , it also supports hardware based  HDR tone mapping  that is beneficial foe mapping HDR scenes into SDR displalys.

Addition:

USB Type C for VR (Data and Power Over a Single Cable) ,  NVLink for Dual Graphic Cards ,  decoder has also been updated to support HEVC YUV444 10/12b HDR at 30 fps, H.264 8K, and VP9 10/12b HDR , DisplayPort 1.4a + DSC , better VR experience.

2080 vs 1080ti

Comparing  2080 to 1080ti not not fair since 2080 replaces the 1080 and 2080ti replaces the 1080 yet: 

Less Cuda Cores than the 1080ti yet the 2080 is 13% faster -till now the gap will increases as drivers will become more optimized.

DLSS  , RT Cores , Tensor Cores.

HDR HW processing and Tone Mapping

Hybrid Rendering

It is a definite leap in technology.

fLug3av.jpg

elQjKyK.jpg

t3yodf2.jpg

UAOUIwB.jpg

Take the 2080 for example vs 1080ti

Compare the Die Sizes + transistor  Count

Compare the Cost of GDDR6 in a high cost market

The addition of new cores ( RT and Tensor)

Still people are underestimating the potential of turing with initial set of benchmarks , they based a new foundation for a new tech in graphic cards away from sole rasterization rendering to " hybrid rendering form" wait for  developers to use it and understand it and the gap will increase incrementally  with coding and drivers.

At the end it depends on your gaming needs to upgrade or no there is generalize that a new tech "doesnot worth due it is price / perfromance criteria" , as a 2160p HDR 60fps gamer for Story driven AAA titles , Turing will enhance my gameplay and HDR satisfaction. In addition I will be replacing the PG 348q with the PG 35VQ ( 3440 × 1440p 200hz 10bit HDR) ,the Rtx will be a better fit for that too. I would have kept the 1080ti and waited for the RTX 3080ti 7nm , but who knows when it will drop with unsatisfactory experience by the 1080ti on 2160p and HDR ( especially on the minimums) , and as a  owner of HTC Vive Pro utilizing the Virtual Link will minimize cabling hustle too.

Last edited by Tech Guru (September 22 2018)

#82 September 24 2018

Tech Guru

As I said:

Turing display engine now supports HDR processing natively   that reduces input latency issues Pascal faced , it also supports hardware based  HDR tone mapping  that is beneficial for mapping HDR scenes into SDR displalys. DP 1.4a + DSC will enable doing 2160p 10bit HDR @ 144hz too , that PG 27uq and X27 donot support and they limited to lower chroma sub sampling to tip that , too bad they have 8 bit panels with FRC not 10bit native as one of core requirements of HDR 10.

Hardware Unbox:
Why Did Nvidia Use HDR to Compare Pascal & Turing? HDR Vs SDR Perfomce Revisted

https://youtu.be/ce84bFUUT_A

HDR is gaining momentum (list of games)
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 … -pc-games/ )

In the PC World and it looks great on proper HDR display meeting all HDR 10 requirements. AC Origins , Far Cry 5 , BFV looks awesome.

Last edited by Tech Guru (September 24 2018)

#83 September 24 2018

Tech Guru

As I said:

Turing display engine now supports HDR processing natively   that reduces input latency issues Pascal faced , it also supports hardware based  HDR tone mapping  that is beneficial for mapping HDR scenes into SDR displalys. DP 1.4a + DSC will enable doing 2160p 10bit HDR @ 144hz too , that PG 27uq and X27 donot support and they limited to lower chroma sub sampling to tip that , too bad they have 8 bit panels with FRC not 10bit native as one of core requirements of HDR 10.

Hardware Unbox:
https://youtu.be/ce84bFUUT_A

HDR is gaining momentum (list of games)
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 … -pc-games/ )

In the PC World and it looks great on proper HDR display meeting all HDR 10 requirements. AC Origins , Far Cry 5 , BFV looks awesome.

#84 September 24 2018

anayman_k7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce84bFUUT_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgX4EfIiXc

A couple of videos that explains how shady is Nvidia when announcing a new line of Graphics card, the amount of misleading charts, the amount of non-truth spread in their presentations is unreal

#85 September 24 2018

Aly

Nvidia is kinda of selling people fishes in the sea right now, and many people don't really care about Turing or DLSS or HDR, some people are simply satisfied by high FPS (144 and above) on a 1080p resolution for competitive online gaming.
Sorry Tech Guru but I am pretty sure people are not "self convincing themselves" that Turing is not worth it ... It is more like you are in the front seat of the hype train and trying to convince yourself that selling your 1080ti was a great move.

#86 September 24 2018

Tech Guru

Aly wrote:

Nvidia is kinda of selling people fishes in the sea right now, and many people don't really care about Turing or DLSS or HDR, some people are simply satisfied by high FPS (144 and above) on a 1080p resolution for competitive online gaming.
Sorry Tech Guru but I am pretty sure people are not "self convincing themselves" that Turing is not worth it ... It is more like you are in the front seat of the hype train and trying to convince yourself that selling your 1080ti was a great move.

I am stating numbers and opinion based on that  since the product is already released , more to come in its life cycle. When I get I will post my own benchmarks and my satisfaction level on 2160p ultra with AA across different titles comparatively with my experience with the 1080ti.

At the end every one has gaming needs and stisfaction level , and I like to have the most performance what technology offers and in that sense i removed the factor of money away , you get what you pay in tech.

Ok so if 2080ti prices are too high then why the f did people pay over 1000 for a card just because it has built in water cooling?? Like at least ray tracing is new technology and not just water cooling + a 30% rasterization increase , more to come along with drivers and developers aside from DLSS.  :)

Like this

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. … 814126202R

Everyone is complaining about the rtx being so expensive when the 1080ti were almost the same  price 3 months ago and the some same people complaining about 2080ti being expensive bought the 1080ti @ 1200 USD being weaker. I know some people who bought the 1080ti in the cryptomining price spikes and the same are now complaining about the RTX being more expensive.

To be Fair the 2080ti is the Only Card for 2160p decent performance.

#87 September 24 2018

Tech Guru

anayman_k7 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce84bFUUT_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgX4EfIiXc

A couple of videos that explains how shady is Nvidia when announcing a new line of Graphics card, the amount of misleading charts, the amount of non-truth spread in their presentations is unreal

Every company has marketing techniques and hype but you cannot remove the fact from official benchmarks by cross referencing  that the RTX 2080ti is crossing 60 fps 2160p without IQ compromises in traditional rasterization rendering , but people like to bash on new tech without giving it enough time for more titles to be released , more drivers , new implemtations etc..

2080ti vs 1080ti - 2160p Ultra (PC Gamer)  for Example

(73.7 - 55.4) / 55.4 = 33 % Increase on Average
(57.4 - 44.6) / 44.6 = 29 % Increase on the Min Fps

And the gap will increase with more drivers along the run and DLSS. People start bashing without immediately just it give it some time.

To me it worth the upgrade from the 1080ti I used to own that suffocated on many 2160 titles such as (especially on the min and with IQ compromises). Yes I could have waited for the RTX 3080ti but damn waiting on tech. Enjoy what your money can offer you , period.

Far Cry 5
Mess Effect Andromeda
AC Origins
Middle-earth: Shadow of War

& other title I tested

To be Fair the 2080ti is the Only Card for 2160p decent performance.

ILR0LEQ.jpg

qWP8KxM.jpg

56jIlvn.jpg

MU9wSlF.jpg

w83lXKD.jpg

#88 September 25 2018

LifeEngineer

off-topic small question please:
how much would a new 1080TI cost approximately now in Lebanon?!

#89 September 25 2018

anayman_k7

LifeEngineer wrote:

https://lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=13145&p=49
Lucky you, someone posted a 1080Ti for sale few minutes ago

#90 September 25 2018

LifeEngineer

anayman_k7 wrote:
LifeEngineer wrote:

Yeah saw it but I was wondering for how much it would be bought if new.

#91 September 25 2018

Tech Guru

LifeEngineer wrote:
anayman_k7 wrote:
LifeEngineer wrote:

Yeah saw it but I was wondering for how much it would be bought if new.

900 - 1000  USD compared to as low as 650 USD now in  USA

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL … Submit=ENE

Macrotronics
https://macrotronics.net/index.php/comp … -c-469_278

Reason  of these prices in Lebanon  is that they have some old stock not depleted purchased during the year when the prices were high and/or factoring shipment to Lebanon + customs tariffs + 11% VAT + shop profit margin

Best spot is to grab a used one since prices of Pascal has been plumping after Turing announcement , a 500-600 USD for a used one , or if you aiming to grab a new one you are better off to drop the RTX 2080 ( now being sold at PC & Parts) Zotac Amp series with 3 Years warranty at 900 USD with 11 % VAT. It worth it ( Faster in some titles (13% on average) , on par with others , DLSS , RT , Hybrid Rendering , Better HDR Performance , DP 1.4a + DCS . NV Link Sli of 100 GB /sec of bi-directional bandwidth vs 2 GB /sec on the regular high speed SLI bridge , more drivers will widen the gap ...

Last edited by Tech Guru (September 25 2018)

#92 September 30 2018

Tech Guru

This Is Why  I will Always Go Strix (The Best of  the Best) , Can't wait to drop the new Babe

ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING

Major Changes Compared to other FE & Custom RTX 2080ti Cards:

✅16 Phase VRM

✅New more Efficient p
Power Stages with Efficiencies Up to 95%

✅Vmem Controller is 4 Phase on this one.

✅Vmod area for Controlling Various Voltages on the card. (Not Implemented Just a Placeholder.)

✅More Filtering Capacitance

✅Bios Switch

https://youtu.be/N6A_UWwYgkA

My Previous

ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING

Served Me Well.

Last edited by Tech Guru (September 30 2018)

#93 September 30 2018

enthralled

Beyond Turing - Ray Tracing and the Future of Computer Graphics
https://youtu.be/SrF4k6wJ-do

#94 October 12 2018

Tech Guru

Awesome , a  Leap from the 1080ti , Sweet spot for the RTX 2080ti for me will be on the upcoming PG 35VQ which I will drop , 3440 × 1440p @ 200hz.

https://youtu.be/cOSg8W4_jf8

#95 October 16 2018

Tech Guru

The New Sweet Spot for 1440p is now 2070.  It Sits between 1080 & 1080ti in traditional rasterization. 

2070 has Less Cuda Cores & texture units than the 1080( 2304 vs 2560 & 144TU vs 160TU)  yet the 2070 is  faster -till now the gap will increases as drivers will become more optimized , developers get use to the new architecture etc.

Take a look at the  Die Leap :

2070 (TU 106) :445mm2 , 10.8 billion transistors

1080(GP 104): 314 mm² , 7.2 billion transistors

With an added advantage of :

DLSS ( 25 Supported titles till now waiting to be patched only including PUBG , Shadow of the Tomraider , FF 15 ...)   , RT Cores , Tensor Cores , AI , Neural Networks

HDR Tone Mapping

Hybrid Rendering

Dedicated HDR PipeLine to reduce latency with HDR , HDR on Pascal is a real latency mess up since it is SW processed.

GDDR6 (448 GB/s vs 320 GB/s of memory bandwidth on the 1080)

DP 1.4 with DSC

RT

It is a definite leap in technology.

HardOCP:

Is Turing Faster?

With both video cards operating nearly at the same frequency this creates an interesting scenario. We are basically looking at two video cards with similar clock speeds. We can estimate if GeForce RTX 2070’s Turing architecture might be faster than the previous Pascal architecture. It is important to realize there are more SM Units but less CUDA Cores (64 CUDA cores per SM versus 128 on Pascal) and Texture Units on GeForce RTX 2070 when compared to GeForce GTX 1080. In terms of GPU performance, this would mean slower performance on GeForce RTX 2070 if clock speed is the same. However, Turing is a new architecture. There are technically more SM Units, even if there are less CUDA Cores per SM. What we can then gather is if the architectural changes make up for the loss in overall CUDA Cores and Texture Units.

According to our testing the results all signs point to yes, the Turing architecture is definitely superior to, and faster than, the Pascal architecture at similar clock speeds. In all of our testing the MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z consistently provided faster performance at 1440p and 4K compared to the MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X video card, despite having a CUDA Core and Texture Unit deficit, at the same clock speeds. Let’s break it down.

https://m.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/1 … _review/12

#96 October 17 2018

anayman_k7

The launch of the GTX 2070 including the information that Nvidia pulled out the FE edition which costs 600$ from the reviewing samples and requested 500$ model review samples from 3rd parties proves that the previously launched 2080 and 2080Ti were badly priced, where the 2080Ti is the king of performance but very expensive and the 2080 was absolute by the 1080 Ti which costs less but has same performance. Hopefully Nvidia continues in the rational direction but the current damage dealt of the price increase where the XX70s used to have a MSRP around 350$ (hence why the 970 is the most sold GPU) but now that number is 500$

#97 October 26 2018

Tech Guru

I need to summarize some points

For Those Who Are Asking Why RTX 2080ti Has an MSRP of 1200USD I will summarize to you:

2080ti ( TU 102)

752 mm2 die size
18.9 Billion Transistors
Cuda Cores: 4352
Tensor Cores: 544
RT Cores: 68
GDDR6 @ 14Gbps on 352 Bit Memory Bus = 616 GB/s Memory Bandwdith

1080ti ( GP 102)

471 mm2 die size
14billion transistors
Cuda Cores: 3584
Tensor Cores: N/A
RT Cores: N/A
GDDR5x @ 11Gbps on 352 bit Memory Bus = 484GB/s Memory Bandwidth

% Increase in Die Size
(752 - 471)/471 × 100 % = + 59.66 %

% Increase in Transitors Count
(18.9 - 14) / 14 × 100% = + 35 %

%Increase in Cuda Cores
(4352 - 3584) / 3584 = + 21.5 %

Added factoring the Cost of GDDR6  that resulted in:

% Increase in Memory Speed
(14 -11) / 11  = + 27 %

% Increase in Memory Bandwidth
(616 - 484) /484 = + 27 %

Added Factor the Cost of Adding of
+ 544 Tensor Cores and + 68 RT Cores

RgSTs7m.jpg

Tech is always obsolete , and waiting is pain in the ... .

What are your gaming needs in #present , for me 2160p 60hz   and even 3440 × 1440p 100hz , the 1080ti ( heavily OC'd to 2100mhz core and 11.8 Ghz memory) failed especially with the min fps on 2160p. A 30 % on average with regular rasterization ( on lunch more with more drivers update , developers etc. ) aside from RT or DLSS , enhance my gaming experience now , why I need to wait for one year + having gaming experience with several IQ compromises on 2160p with the 1080ti. I Enjoy what tech #currently offers me.

Second, HDR processing on Pascal is done by SW without a dedicated pipeline inducing stutter and latency. Turing resolved this issue with hardware level dedicated  display pipleline and HDR tone mapping.

With more and more AAA titles adding HDR 10 or Dolby Vision meta-data why i need to wait again to enjoy HDR gaming as a some who has a compatible HDR display.

Third, the 1080ti fails to hit 144fps on 1440p 144hz or 100hz on 3440 × 1440p 100hz without IQ compromises , and these two resolutions needs AA ( 2x msaa at least) not the shitty FXAA. I am willing to drop the PG 35vq ( 3440 × 1440p @ 200hz with 10bit HDR) , RTX 2080ti would be a better value for me.

Fourth, RT AI Neural Networks Tensor Cores  DLSS set a base line for hyper rendering beside cuda cores for traditional rasterization. It an added advantage but the above point are my key motivators to upgrade not RT , DLSS etc..

Last edited by Tech Guru (October 26 2018)

#98 October 28 2018

PowerPC

I think you're missing the point TG. When talking about the value of the RTX cards, people are referring to performance per dollars, i.e FPS/dollar, nobody really cares about cores/dollar or diesize/dollar or vram/dollar or whatever. If 2080 ti RTX had a SMALLER die, yet produced +70% perf over the TI, people would be considering it good value. the fact that it only has 25-30% perf improvement vs the roughly +70% increase in cost makes it a poor proposition, especially compared to previous gen upgrades. That's the only metric that counts. And no, consistent 60 fps at 4k doesn't justify the price either.
Yes there's RTX and DLSS, and they could very well change the whole story, but until games (not benchmarks) start implementing them we can't really assess their value. Until then, the RTX generation as it currently stands remains poor value, and this is coming from someone who bought a 2080 (got a good price for it though!).

#99 October 28 2018

anayman_k7

PowerPC wrote:

I think you're missing the point TG. When talking about the value of the RTX cards, people are referring to performance per dollars, i.e FPS/dollar, nobody really cares about cores/dollar or diesize/dollar or vram/dollar or whatever. If 2080 ti RTX had a SMALLER die, yet produced +70% perf over the TI, people would be considering it good value. the fact that it only has 25-30% perf improvement vs the roughly +70% increase in cost makes it a poor proposition, especially compared to previous gen upgrades. That's the only metric that counts. And no, consistent 60 fps at 4k doesn't justify the price either.
Yes there's RTX and DLSS, and they could very well change the whole story, but until games (not benchmarks) start implementing them we can't really assess their value. Until then, the RTX generation as it currently stands remains poor value, and this is coming from someone who bought a 2080 (got a good price for it though!).

I second this opinion, If we used the same logic to justify increasing the GPU models defined prices for older generations we could reached much higher numbers by today, GTX 280 to GTX 480 to etc etc

#100 October 28 2018

infiniteloop

It's time for ATI to make a move, if they can propose 1080ti or 2080 performances for 500-600$ they will destroy nvidia.
I love gaming but nvidia is way too overpricing their new gen cards, add to that you have to buy a new i7 and PSU to follow with the power requirement to no get a bottleneck
This is the 1st time I consider getting a PS5 if it goes out soon, I have been a PC gamer for the last 7 years but paying 1000$ for GPU alone every 2 years is way too much

Board footer