LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 14 2018

nxnjz

My Experience with a Pi-Hole

I've had a pi-hole for about 2 or 3 weeks, and I wanted to share my results since I think it's beneficial on different levels.

For the unware, it's basically a DNS server that blocks specific DNS queries (mainly those associated with advertising, like ads.mopub.com, graph.instagram.com, etc.) By default, comes with a blocklist of around 130k domain names.

Setup is very easy: I installed it on an old Pi (1 B i think), gave it a static reservation in DHCP on my router, and set that IP as primary DNS in DHCP. It can very easily handle DNS for a home network.

So ads are blocked on any device connected to my home network. That's nice, but the nicer part is that websites load a bit faster, and I save a bit on monthly bandwidth.

Around 43% of all DNS queries are blocked on average! That's a lot of blocked traffic, I was expecting much less.

We all hate the fact that DSL plans are very limited in Lebanon, so having a pi-hole can definitely help.

Does anyone here have a setup similar to this? If so, how much traffic are you blocking/saving?

Last edited by nxnjz (September 14 2018)

#2 September 14 2018

Mayyad

Re: My Experience with a Pi-Hole

Hi
It is a brilliant idea, from where you get it? Did you program it or it comes already programmed?

#3 September 14 2018

nxnjz

Not at all my idea :)

It's available at https://pi-hole.net/

#4 September 14 2018

sero

what kind of ads are blocked?

sponsored ads on facebook?
google ads on websites?
popup ads (or vids) on mobile apps?
30 sec ads on youtube/facebook vids?

#5 September 14 2018

nxnjz

Most ads in mobile apps, websites, popups, etc.

The only ads I've seen since installing the pi-hole are mostly some Youtube 5-sec skippable ads.
I think it would be impossible to block these completely since youtube is probably serving them from the same domain names as their main content as a countermeasure, so blocking them would effectively block videos as well.

I've seen a reduction of I'd say 90% in ads of all types on all platforms.

Last edited by nxnjz (September 14 2018)

#6 September 14 2018

yasamoka

You do know that the majority of web content sustains itself financially through ad revenue, right? And that blocking those ads is ultimately depriving content creators of such revenue, particularly if they offer an ad-free version that you now have no incentive to go for since you already do not see ads? Have you given this some thought?

#7 September 15 2018

nxnjz

You are absolutely right and I did think about this. Eventually, it leads to a moral dilemma: I, as a consumer in this scenario, have the right to decide what I want to download; While platforms/advertisers/content creators/developers have a right to display ads.
(As a side note, I do pay for a small number of ad-free versions like anghami) edit: irrelevant to this discussion

Last edited by nxnjz (September 15 2018)

#8 September 15 2018

yasamoka

nxnjz wrote:

You are absolutely right and I did think about this. Eventually, it leads to a moral dilemma: I, as a consumer in this scenario, have the right to decide what I want to download; While platforms/advertisers/content creators/developers have a right to display ads.
(As a side note, I do pay for a small number of ad-free versions like anghami) edit: irrelevant to this discussion

Breaking this down into a battle for primitive rights only serves to further complicate a very simple, straightforward matter.

1) Web content hosts serve you content for free.
2) These hosts, to cover their costs / make a profit, serve you ads.
3) The hosts expect that you see the ads and that a certain percentage of users would click through, generating ad revenue.
4) You choose to block those ads. While the hosts still expects you to be receiving (and seeing) those ads, you are not. You never click through. When hosts figure out a way to detect ad blockers, they can easily stop you from seeing their free content. If they did not, then that means they either did not equip themselves for this or simply did not detect your usage of an ad blocker.
5) You get web content that is only for free *because* of potential ad revenue for free with no strings attached.
6) The hosts are deprived of their ad revenue often without which they cannot even cover their costs, let alone have an incentive to bring you free web content without anything in return.

Tell me how this is fair.

I don't like to summon arguments that stem from verstehen, but I'll entertain this now: if you were a web host and your audience was primarily that which would not pay for your content, expecting it, as with *everything on the web*, to be free (a delusion spun about by the state of the early web), and you instead chose to go for advertisements - on a scale of 1 to 10, how much would you appreciate it if a significant portion of your userbase ended up blocking out your ads yet leeching your *free* web content?

Last edited by yasamoka (September 15 2018)

#9 September 15 2018

jibbo

yasamoka wrote:
nxnjz wrote:

Breaking this down into a battle for primitive rights only serves to further complicate a very simple, straightforward matter.

3) The hosts expect that you see the ads and that a certain percentage of users would click through, generating ad revenue.
4) You choose to block those ads. While the hosts still expects you to be receiving (and seeing) those ads, you are not. You never click through. When hosts figure out a way to detect ad blockers, they can easily stop you from seeing their free content. If they did not, then that means they either did not equip themselves for this or simply did not detect your usage of an ad blocker.
5) You get web content that is only for free *because* of potential ad revenue for free with no strings attached.
6) The hosts are deprived of their ad revenue often without which they cannot even cover their costs, let alone have an incentive to bring you free web content without anything in return.

I don't like to summon arguments that stem from verstehen, but I'll entertain this now: if you were a web host and your audience was primarily that which would not pay for your content, expecting it, as with *everything on the web*, to be free (a delusion spun about by the state of the early web), and you instead chose to go for advertisements - on a scale of 1 to 10, how much would you appreciate it if a significant portion of your userbase ended up blocking out your ads yet leeching your *free* web content?

People who choose to block ads are not likely to click them in the first place.

Pages get bad performance due to ads, do a search and you will see how much they slow the webpage down.

if the ads are non intrusive then i can see why it's unethical to block ads, but that is not the case, they track you, and are designed to draw your attention so much that you will have a poor web browsing quality.

#10 September 15 2018

samer
Admin

yasamoka wrote:

I would find a better-suited business model for my audience (paid subscriptions, patreon, donations, crowdfunding, content sponsorship, event sponsorship, etc.). There is no use about complaining about ad-blockers. It's an arms-race that historically has been won by the blockers, not the advertisers. It's on you as a publisher to figure out creative, non-intrusive ways to serve sponsored content.

#11 September 15 2018

nas93

Ads are ruining the internet, a couple years back I didn't see any ads on Facebook now even their videos have ads.
Might look into getting this, thanks.

#12 September 16 2018

nxnjz

yasamoka wrote:
nxnjz wrote:

I do agree with you to a certain extent, ad-blocking is not nice towards publishers, is it morally wrong? I'm not sure. But most ads also aren't nice to most viewers.

If I were hosting content, and I chose to run ads, I definitely wouldn't like it if my audience blocked them. But I also would have had that in mind.

#13 September 17 2018

beezer

People that block ads are the same people that ignore the ads, and are the same ones that worry about their privacy.

So I don't find this hurts anyone, less useless bandwidth being saved on both ends.

Ads have become really intrusive by following you everywhere and have clearly become a problem with invading your privacy.

#14 September 17 2018

Prince

I have setup my Pi hole on a small vpn if anyone wants to use pi hole  DNS  am happy to share it

Last edited by Prince (September 17 2018)

Board footer