LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 30 2018

beezer

Street Valet?!

Okay, so I admit I don't go to Beirut much, but I'm finally here and got hungry so I decided to go to Hardee's (Rouche).

I parked close to the front of the store and this guy comes up to me with a valet card trying to put it in my car, I was like WTF? Shu baddak? And the guy said, you can't park here, it's for valet. I said "this is the street" the guy kept saying "mamnoo3"

So now I have a bunch of thoughts in my head. So to you living in this city, mmmm...WTF? Do you guys pay for a "valet" that doesn't even valet your car? Or is this guy trying to be smart with me?

#2 August 30 2018

Aly

Re: Street Valet?!

This bullshit is all over Beirut.

#3 August 30 2018

rolf

Valet do all kind of shady stuff to stop people from parking in public spots. If everybody parked their car in public parking spots they would have nowhere to park their cusomer's cars.

I would take 5 minutes to find a parking.

Lebanese culture of living, lots of problems.

Last edited by rolf (August 30 2018)

#4 August 30 2018

infiniteloop

I had the same experience but he even wanted to take a valet for the parking of the nearby shop that was closed, I told him I won't pay and I am going to talk with the manager of his restaurant, that's what I did, the manager agreed with me, but I am sure he didn't forbid him to repeat the same thing
Valet are paid 200$ max as salary and all their gain is in valet commissions, the day the restaurants will give a logic salary instead of commissions it will fix all these problems, but for that we need real politicians to pass laws to help people

#5 August 30 2018

beezer

So in my case it was actually Hardee's that setup this "valet" outside their store?

Like, I'm going into your place and you're making me pay for parking? I'm not going there anymore. That's just ridiculous. I'm now glad I ignored him and did what I did. Maybe they'll stop doing those jobs on public streets.

#6 August 31 2018

rolf

Just don't go Hardees. It's junk food. Its arguably tastier than McDo. But I haven't been there in 5 years and don't miss it.
Some time ago I went to AUB medical center for an appointment with a doctor. I was a bit late and happy to park in a parking their "official parking" which was full so you had to leave your keys to a couple of valets. After paying a little fortune for the doctor I was asked again to pay 5000LL for the parking. I was expecting it to be free.

At AUBMC I found a leaflet that said "INTERNATIONAL PATIENTS' SERVICES" and if was full of stock photos and bored desperate text such as "why Lebanon?  Lebanon is located at the crossroads of asia etc. and has a history that dates back THOUSANDS  (wowowowo) of years! Throughout the year Lebanon hosts VARIOUS FESTIVALS across DIFFERENT CITIES, AND TOWNS!" (it's not in fullcaps on the brochure but I'm putting it in fullcaps to point out how awesome it is).

All good reasons to cure your cancer in Lebanon, never mind the blatant English mistake in the title. Just in case you are an INTERNATIONAL PATIENTS' just passing by.

Then I go to the bank and they have this 'YOUTH#' campaign posters and leaflets. No it's not a social media handle, they just added a hashtag in the title because everybody knows, young people love hashtags! Nothing says youth like a hashtag! And then everywhere hung are these YOUTH# posters with young people wearing brightly colored clothes and doing young people stuff such as listening to music on their mobiles or taking selfies, with caricatural expressions.

I find this mediocre and sad, really.

#7 August 31 2018

AVOlio

I had the same experience at Masaad.
I was a new driver then, I stopped to go and dine in Masaad, it was a Sunday, there were maaaany available spots to park, but I saw this guy waving at me and telling me come park here, right in front of the store.
I parked gave him my keys and went to eat.
After we finished, I called him and asked for the keys, and took them and went to my car.
For some reason he followed me, I looked at him and told him do you need anything, he said 3,000.
When my gf heard that, and she knows how I feel about stuff like this, she immediately paid and rushed me into the car, because she knew that if she didn't pay, there would be no way in hell that I would have paid, and I would have made a huge scene with him and the management of the restaurant.

#8 August 31 2018

rolf

AVOlio wrote:

I parked gave him my keys and went to eat.

I don't give my keys if I can.

Your story reminds me of a similar situation I encountered when I visited Le Mall a few years back, with a friend. I just parked the car next to the main entrance and then we strolled aimlessly in the mall until after it had closed and almost everyone had left or so I thought. As we got back to the car we saw a valet waiting next to it. He seemed annoyed and meant that I had to pay a few thousands (I forgot the specifics). Apparently I missed that there were "valets" "in charge" of parking cars and that they are entitled to some sort of tax on every car that enters their kingdom.

Of course I was not convinced and I believe that I ended up not paying.
But yeah thanks for the bad experience!

"Valets" are employed by the restaurant, mall, or whatever it is you are trying to go to. So when you are given a bad time by one of these characters, remember who gave them this "authority" and hold them accountable.

Last edited by rolf (August 31 2018)

#9 August 31 2018

Draguen

Personally whenever i find a valet, i try not to park directly in front of the place i want to visit, however if they still bother me for the keys or something, i simply ignore them or make as if i don't understand and proceed to get in/out of my car as if they did not exist. if they still insist, i tell them that it will only be 5 minutes till i be back (even if it's multiple hours).

it's honestly the best strategy i found since you avoid a word fight plus it's one of the only times that if you ignore the problem, it goes away.

Last edited by Draguen (August 31 2018)

#10 August 31 2018

AVOlio

As a user above in the post said, these valets are usually paid 200$ and count on either tips or their service fees (which sometimes are fake).
I was a new driver back then, and I wasn't aware, but I am now and won't fall for it again.
I know a couple of valets who do the same, they get paid exactly 200$ and are hired by a valet company, and not necessarily hired directly by the restaurant. They work 12 hours per day for 200$ and count on tips, and treat the upcoming customers like "ghee or butter" depending on what car they're driving.

#11 August 31 2018

rolf

Yep, they're usually working for a valet company, however this company is willfully commissioned by the restaurant to "take care" of customers' cars so I hold the restaurant responsible for bad valet service.

I could continue in all logic and say that I am responsible for the whole thing because I willfully chose to go to the restaurant.

In the end it's the same result, I would try to avoid going to that place if I can.

Last edited by rolf (August 31 2018)

#12 August 31 2018

nuclearcat

rolf wrote:

Yep, they're usually working for a valet company, however this company is willfully commissioned by the restaurant to "take care" of customers' cars so I hold the restaurant responsible for bad valet service.

I could continue in all logic and say that I am responsible for the whole thing because I willfully chose to go to the restaurant.

In the end it's the same result, I would try to avoid going to that place if I can.

Same here, strictly avoiding places who have noisy valet and no free parking nearby.

#13 August 31 2018

xazbrat

Issue here is multifold.

1) There is very little free parking in and around Beirut
2) What little there is, is basically taken advantage of by people, ie park there all day and/or take the parking space for themselves with cones, markers etc and other means.
3) There is no parking enforcement--tickets don't mean squat---if cars were towed, it would discourage bad parking.
4)  And with problems above, stores need to get customers into their stores--some chose valet parking as a solution and many don't like it, but no obvious other solutions in the near term.

The problem with parking is so bad that malls like citymall in Dora, which used to offer free parking, found themselves inundated with people taking advantage of it to take buses,taxis and vans into beirut.  Again, no solution in the near terms with the incompetence of politicians.  Park and ride anyone?

#14 August 31 2018

Guitaret

beezer wrote:

I'm now glad I ignored him and did what I did. Maybe they'll stop doing those jobs on public streets.

Weird problems demand weird solutions: a guy asks you illegally for money on parking, just smile to him and step on your gas pedal and leave, no need to argue.
You did the right thing, I heard this story countless times.

#15 September 1 2018

dsoftware.king

The worst thing is that all shops even stinky snacks have valet. They all over the place.

Another factor made valet grow is that levanese people like to show off and never say no so they wont look cheap .
I never give my car to a valet, most of the time iam able to park for free in zones they control after talking to them (you can always pretend you are aomeone you’re not)

#16 September 1 2018

infiniteloop

yep I even boycott places where it's valet or nothing, I can park a bit far and walk like in any country in the world, dunno why Lebanese love to park just in front of the shop/restaurant, we have legs we should use them.
The only way to stop these valets bad behaviors and other incredibly wrong things in this country is to build an association for the defense of the consumers, with time we could grow big and do lobbying on politicians to pass laws that defend us and make this country better

#17 September 1 2018

rolf

infiniteloop wrote:

The only way to stop these valets bad behaviors and other incredibly wrong things in this country is to build an association for the defense of the consumers, with time we could grow big and do lobbying on politicians to pass laws that defend us and make this country better

You are right.

I think there is a big "cultural" component and everything has to progress at the same time, including people in general doing small efforts and being aware of these issues, so change from the bottom.

Most people in Lebanon have not had the opportunity to live outside of the country. If I hadn't lived in Europe, I don't know how I aware how much of a problem plastic is. I might still be going to the supermarket and coming back with 15 bags every time (as opposed to a few big bags that I re-use).

Having some knowledge is something, but seeing whole countries 20 times the size of Lebanon force everyone to reuse their plastic bags and taking this habit is something else.

Sparing a few plastic bags is not much but when you think that each one of these bags takes 1000 years to decompose, and that maybe I am setting an example for others, and that I do this every time I go, it's already something more. More than many at least! And I believe that durable change comes in modest, sustained positive efforts such as these.

On this matter, I believe that NGOs have a big place in educating and sensitizing people.

This topic is not about plastic bags however it's a similar issue from the many issues that need to progress in this country.

But at the core of it all is the question, do most people really want to progress as a country? Or is it mostly everyone for themselves, succeeding in owning a big house, nice car, successful family? Is there a collective ambition?

Last edited by rolf (September 1 2018)

#18 September 2 2018

Georges00

I do not give my keys to anyone, I park the car myself.
Most of the time I find a free spot even in Beirut if you're smart enough.

#19 September 3 2018

Johnaudi

I was parking once at around 9PM next to a grab and go market, the parking bad paid parking between 8AM till 6PM (national parking), but was free afterwards. Some guy came to me telling me I can't park here because it is the shops' parking. After stating that it was a public parking he restated that "it is a public parking at day; it is the shop parking at night. Move the car and you won't get in trouble."

I of course moved the car because I do not feel the need to get in an argument with him. But what he is doing is just abused.

#20 September 3 2018

sero

I am surprised no one mentioned about the risks you will be taking if you insist to park in a public parking spot ignoring the valet!
I personally did this numerous times and I got my car keyed several times (or sometimes my tires deflated).

Valet even takes it further than this. In many places they know the parking police (those that put red tickets on the car windshields in case you don't pay parking) or probably bribe them, and ask them to put tickets only on non-valet parked cars (while ignoring valet cars)!

Last edited by sero (September 3 2018)

#21 September 3 2018

rolf

sero wrote:

I am surprised no one mentioned about the risks you will be taking if you insist to park in a public parking spot ignoring the valet!

I wound not want to be part in spreading fear tactics by thugs, so I would not mention this myself even if I had such an experience, however I did not.

But that's just my outlook, maybe shared by others. Thanks for sharing this information.

#22 September 4 2018

Destermayor

Have you been to Broumana? The whole main street is full of vps employees walking and sitting on the side-walks. They're like ants, and there are "No Parking" signs on both sides of the road all the way long.

#23 September 4 2018

Guitaret

infiniteloop wrote:

yep I even boycott places where it's valet or nothing, I can park a bit far and walk like in any country in the world, dunno why Lebanese love to park just in front of the shop/restaurant, we have legs we should use them.

This idea was always on my mind. I always wanted to build a community-driven tool for people to rate services/products in Lebanon. Eventually, this free tool driven by people who want to make a difference will make a difference. This is something similar to Yelp but with a more specific objective fit to Lebanese market.

Example: You buy a Kia Picanto 2017 and you find it excellent, your brother - based on your review - buys the 2018 and it is awful.
This has happened with some friends (with different cars of course)
This tool will alarm people that the 2018 version is horrible.
I have many projections on its application and my objective is to contribute not to make money.

Example 2: Some cleaning brand has a bad batch entering the country. You just find out about this problem, you use this tool to alert other people.

#24 September 4 2018

Jerome

Guitaret wrote:

This idea was always on my mind. I always wanted to build a community-driven tool for people to rate services/products in Lebanon. Eventually, this free tool driven by people who want to make a difference will make a difference. This is something similar to Yelp but with a more specific objective fit to Lebanese market.

Example: You buy a Kia Picanto 2017 and you find it excellent, your brother - based on your review - buys the 2018 and it is awful.
This has happened with some friends (with different cars of course)
This tool will alarm people that the 2018 version is horrible.
I have many projections on its application and my objective is to contribute not to make money.

Example 2: Some cleaning brand has a bad batch entering the country. You just find out about this problem, you use this tool to alert other people.

DO IT! Then make it available to vote on country wide referendums.

#25 September 5 2018

nuclearcat

Unfortunately "public voting" systems fails, and fails miserably in many areas.
Preamble: Flies will vote piece of sh*t as 5 star dining, and bee who come to it - wont be happy.

For example, there is very expensive cafe near raouche, i was invited by customer. It was excellent, but it has very low ratings. And why?
Because of price. On my opinion everything has it's price, and while its important to be aware about it and mention it, it is not the reason to give bad vote.

Or for example once i did tool for diagnostics of ISP connection problems. People downvoted it and in comments stated problems with ISPs they are experiencing.
Majority are so dumb, that they dont understand i am trying to help them, and i am not affiliated with ISP they are suffering, actually opposite. At the end i had to remove program. There is too many subjects where program that should improve your chances to solve problem will get downvoted.

Or as you mentioned Kia Picanto, you are gentle driver, driving your car short distance, and your brother are "sporty driving" and wreck the car and still will blame it is bad. Objectivity might improve, if you get highly responsive and professional drivers society reviewing cars, but unfortunately majority of drivers in Lebanon don't know even how modern petrol engine works.

Also, many people just give 5 star review on seller demand, with new product and forget about this later, even if product breaks(remember aliexpress). Or there is mob downvoting effect as well, by competitor.

Solution is possible. You can build system similar to KPI, and complex algorithms that will detect most of cases of confusion, abuse or illiteracy. But i highly doubt single person can make such system.

Board footer