LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1301 July 5 2018

semaan

Re: Feedback for IDM

Red7 wrote:

Anyone else having issues connecting ?

Yes, i'm sodetel user, a lot of disconnection

#1302 July 5 2018

DG

Ogero user here. For the past few days I keep getting disconnected from the Internet. Only the last modem led... the one related to "Internet" goes off and when I check my modem logs I see a lot of lines with "PPP Link down".

#1303 July 5 2018

dio

DG wrote:

Ogero user here. For the past few days I keep getting disconnected from the Internet. Only the last modem led... the one related to "Internet" goes off and when I check my modem logs I see a lot of lines with "PPP Link down".

Check your DM.

#1304 August 15 2018

Super Official

I noticed that changing my modulation from adsl2+ to g.dmt decreased my latency substantially. It went from around 100-110ms in one particular game all the way down to 60-70ms. Anyone had the same experience?

#1305 August 15 2018

duke-of-bytes

Super Official wrote:

I noticed that changing my modulation from adsl2+ to g.dmt decreased my latency substantially. It went from around 100-110ms in one particular game all the way down to 60-70ms. Anyone had the same experience?

G.DMT usually gives better SNR margins over long distances, but it is limited to 8Mbps down and like 1.3Mbps up.

#1306 August 15 2018

Super Official

duke-of-bytes wrote:
Super Official wrote:

G.DMT usually gives better SNR margins over long distances, but it is limited to 8Mbps down and like 1.3Mbps up.

I was getting 6 mbps so speed didnt differ, what did improve substantially tho was the latency. Its like interleaving on vs off. Ping almost improved by 40ms all around

#1307 August 15 2018

duke-of-bytes

Super Official wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:
Super Official wrote:

I was getting 6 mbps so speed didnt differ, what did improve substantially tho was the latency. Its like interleaving on vs off. Ping almost improved by 40ms all around

better SNR margins over long distances

#1308 August 15 2018

Super Official

duke-of-bytes wrote:
Super Official wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

Snr was the same, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect latency by 40ms

#1309 August 15 2018

duke-of-bytes

Super Official wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:
Super Official wrote:

Snr was the same, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect latency by 40ms

are you sure about the SNR staying the same ? please post some screenshots
G.DMT will affect latency as most our DSLAMS are not SRA enabled yet .. so you are not really getting adsl2+
also this is only affecting the first hop between you and your CO ..usually it is between 10 and 20 ms difference not more

#1310 August 17 2018

Toufic

Any updates on Fiber ?

I just went on IDM's website and noticed an update on the map and an option to apply to fiber.
Anyone in beirut region has applied ? And if so, was there any response or were they just collecting subscribers ?

#1311 August 23 2018

kfc

wollyka wrote:

IDM is offering VDSL. They contacted me today to see if i am interested and in order t schedule a feasibility test. (I have already done one with ogero)

IDM Is forcing users who want to switch to VDSL to take a quota of at least 100 Gigabytes and forbidding them from downgrading later on it if they take more than 100.

#1312 August 24 2018

Toufic

I had no idea of that. What's the details on this ?
They did not call or even ask, i'm still stuck at barely 6Mbps and im in the middle of damn hamra with no update what so ever though ogero tells me my line can easily support 15-20Mbps on DSL

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

IDM is offering VDSL. They contacted me today to see if i am interested and in order t schedule a feasibility test. (I have already done one with ogero)

IDM Is forcing users who want to switch to VDSL to take a quota of at least 100 Gigabytes and forbidding them from downgrading later on it if they take more than 100.

#1313 August 24 2018

kfc

Toufic wrote:

I had no idea of that. What's the details on this ?
They did not call or even ask, i'm still stuck at barely 6Mbps and im in the middle of damn hamra with no update what so ever though ogero tells me my line can easily support 15-20Mbps on DSL

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

it means that you are on GDS (as DSP) and they are capping your speed.

As for VDSL, This is from IDM

"kindly note that now and for a limited offer, you can apply for our new service “VDSL”.

VDSL is an upgraded service of ADSL. Its speed will vary between around 20M up to 30M. The monthly renewal price is related to the plan you choose:

Open Speed  100GB for 30$   +VAT

Open Speed  120GB for 33$   +VAT

Open Speed  150GB for 40$   +VAT

Open Speed  200GB for 46.5$ +VAT

Please be aware that you are allowed to upgrade the plan but not downgrade it. For example, if you choose the OS – 150GB you cannot renew 120GB in the upcoming month.

VDSL is a very limited service & requires specific conditions (distance to the central,…).

If you are interested to apply, you will only have to pay the modem’s cost (55$). No documents are needed in this case."

#1314 August 24 2018

wollyka

Yeah it is true but since i am already on OS 200 GB (and actually i need more GBs not less) so i am not bothered by it.
However, nothing happened since i applied. I received an email from them 2 weeks ago saying that it may be ready by next week. But still now nothing!

#1315 August 25 2018

Toufic

Thank you both for the update.

I was told that things won't start happening till November/December but you never know, might take even more time

#1316 August 25 2018

wollyka

They already sent me the VDSL modem last month btw

#1317 August 27 2018

kfc

wollyka wrote:

They already sent me the VDSL modem last month btw

what brand/model is it?

#1318 August 27 2018

wollyka

Technicolor TG589vac v2
I am using it as a modem only and connected it to my Asus Ac68U router.

#1319 August 28 2018

kfc

wollyka wrote:

Yeah it is true but since i am already on OS 200 GB (and actually i need more GBs not less) so i am not bothered by it.
However, nothing happened since i applied. I received an email from them 2 weeks ago saying that it may be ready by next week. But still now nothing!

I asked for a feasibility study last Thursday. They gave me a positive answer (20 Mbps) today and told me that I will be switched automatically to VDSL when my account is recharged in 10 days.

#1320 August 28 2018

wollyka

Well you won't be switched automatically. I recharged my account 15 days ago and still nothing.However, they are fast at first sending the modem and taking the money.

Last edited by wollyka (August 28 2018)

#1321 August 29 2018

kfc

wollyka wrote:

Well you won't be switched automatically. I recharged my account 15 days ago and still nothing.However, they are fast at first sending the modem and taking the money.

Well she was very confident that I will be switched very fast...

did they tell you about the speed that you can attain with vdsl? I feel that the 20 is too little knowing that I am already getting 13 to 14 on ADSL

#1322 August 29 2018

wollyka

Then good luck :)
No they didn't tell me, however I am getting 14 on adsl

#1323 August 31 2018

wollyka

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

did they tell you about the speed that you can attain with vdsl? I feel that the 20 is too little knowing that I am already getting 13 to 14 on ADSL

Well, every time i contact them, they give me a different excuse. Today's excuse was "The system at the exchange (central) is currently out of service and we are not able to switch any positions." which i don't know what it does mean?!!

Probably, they aren't ready infrastructure wise and they are just trying to sell new modems and to gauge demand. If they switch you, please let me know because the way things are moving, i may be getting fiber before i get that "promised VDSL" (btw i am not getting fiber until the next phase in 2020 at least)

#1324 August 31 2018

kfc

wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Well, every time i contact them, they give me a different excuse. Today's excuse was "The system at the exchange (central) is currently out of service and we are not able to switch any positions." which i don't know what it does mean?!!

Probably, they aren't ready infrastructure wise and they are just trying to sell new modems and to gauge demand. If they switch you, please let me know because the way things are moving, i may be getting fiber before i get that "promised VDSL" (btw i am not getting fiber until the next phase in 2020 at least)

I have not requested the switch yet because I I am not willing to pay more every month for 100 Gigabytes that I don't need.

However what happened with me is that I emailed them asking if VDSL is available at my central. The answer was negative at the beginning.So I called the central myself and was told that the service is available indeed And that Ogero can provide it to me. So I went back to IDM and informed them of the central's response. The sales representative said that she will inquire and get back to me. A few days later, she called and gave me a positive answer that yes VDSL is available at my central and said that she will ask for a feasibility test...the week after,  she informed me that the result is 20 and asked for the confirmation that really want to switch which will take effect starting my next recharge if I say yes...and she said that the switch is very simple and fast to do at the central.

I suggest that you call the central!

By the way, I am connected to Antelias central. At first, it was on Ogero's map for phase 1 of the FTTC deployment , But when the Ogero chairman announced the deployment Schedule until Q2 of 2019, he did not mention it and later on they removed it from the map even!!! So nothing for me before Q3 of 2019 at least..

Last edited by kfc (August 31 2018)

#1325 August 31 2018

wollyka

I already contacted Ogero and they told me VDSL is available in my central (Mazraa) and that they can provide it to me if i switch to them. However, i am on the GDS network and not Ogero. So Ogero told me to ask my ISP about its availability.

Board footer