LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 21 2018

Madi

Hello

Hello,

I am a 21 years old (soon to be 22) male. I am studying Computer and Communication Engineering at BIU (LIU). I LOVE computer hardware, PC building, web design, dogs, movies, series and memes. I am currently learning Web Design through Udemy and recently got my first certificate. I feel demotivated about continuing (because I didn't get a call for multiple jobs, not even for stage, but sh*t happens), but I am trying to find an internal drive within myself to get me back on track. It's the reason why I joined this community. Also, the math test on registering made me go through Java again. I had to use an online compiler and feel my brain's rust breaking. Thanks for that.

#2 August 21 2018

ThunderGladiator

Re: Hello

Me too. Fucking online compiler.

Last edited by ThunderGladiator (August 21 2018)

#3 August 21 2018

Smackcat

hey! welcome to leb geeks! i recall 2-3 years ago, the president of the engineering syndicate gave a talk about how companies favor aub and lau grads to students from other universities sadly. He stressed on how big and widespread this issue is in leb. He even gave an example of a LU student who had reallyyyy high grades and all, yet couldnt find work; the companies he applied to chose aub/lau grads with lower qualifications than that student.  I don't mean to sound too negative, but keep this in mind in case you aim to work in lebanon. Have you considered doing a master's? This would very much increase your chances of finding a job! Consider applying abroad too. Good luck!

#4 August 22 2018

Madi

I never knew that... there are things I don't understand in this country. I was born in Kuwait, came here to study for university. Since I'm in BIU system, we don't have masters degree for that. I'd have to apply at a very high end university, which is sadly hard for a BIU student. I'm also thinking on going abroad too. I have relatives all over Europe and Canada. I also have a girlfriend, she studies banking and finance, but I'm not sure she'd get the same benefits in banks abroad like the benefits she'd get in banks in Lebanon.

#5 August 23 2018

wmz96

yeah man i know the feeling, im still searching with no luck

#6 August 23 2018

rolf

I feel your pain. It's very demotivating.

I think it helps to find a motivation besides just finding a job. I mean what do you want to work in? What do you want to learn? Etc.
Lebanese market is not very impressive (although there is a startup scene with speed and BDD).

If you look outside (Europe, USA), there is a lot of hype and movement. However there is also an ugly side which is a gold rush mentality which often borders stupidity, and sometimes it's all very hypocritical.

So at some point, it is likely that you have a bad experience.

Therefore it helps if you have goals about what you want to learn and what you want to work in specifically, that should keep you more motivated and more employable.

#7 August 24 2018

Mero55

Hey!
Welcome aboard!

It is true that employers do prefer grads from specific Unis over others, but its usually because these Unis have proven to prep students for the workplace better than others. I think we can all agree that grades don't matter to an employer as much as skill/projects(fyp or even freelancing). I know a CS **student** at LU that makes decent cash (sometimes 2k+/month) doing software projects for his clients; the guy hasn't graduated yet!

As suggested above, try to take a closer look at the startup scene as it provides a unique work-experience that expands beyond your major + its more interesting imho.

Meanwhile I'd also suggest you do some side projects/ freelancing to gain experience/skills, or even lookup some books/events to learn from. Don't wait for a work opportunity to learn. Learn till you get a work opportunity.

Best of Luck!

#8 August 24 2018

rolf

A word of advice: there is something called "an echo box" which often happens.

It means that basically you do your work and then you look at it and pat yourself on the back for being such a genius.

In a small team, everyone pats each other in the the back and a good amount of time is spent being amazed at each other's skills.

Positivity is good, however this can get in the way of learning new things, for often new knowledge comes in the form of realizing that there may be better ways to do things and no maybe you're not such a genius after all. This can be an uncomfortable experience.

Board footer