LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 23 2018

Smackcat

hey eveyone!

hello!
I'm a 22 yo female about to start grad school. My major has absolutely nothingg to do with programming but I'm super passionate about it. I'm learning python on my own which seems like a mega challenge considering my close to zero experience with programming  I'm also a big fan of linux, am 100% pro open sourcing code and am very keen on cybersecurity & privacy. I came across this community through reddit (someone linked it) so here I am. What elseee i love gaming (tho i rarely do so nowadays ever since my bro gave up his console & i use linux which doesnt support most games), cats, reading and I one day hope to build my own pc. cheers everyone!

#2 July 23 2018

AVOlio

Re: hey eveyone!

Welcome to the forums jagannath :)

#3 July 23 2018

Johnaudi

Hello and welcome!
What have you majored may I ask?

#4 July 23 2018

Smackcat

AVOlio wrote:

Welcome to the forums jagannath :)

at first i didn't get what you meant  but that user isn't me. I just happened to see the post on reddit & its replies and came here.

Last edited by Smackcat (July 23 2018)

#5 July 23 2018

Hackour

Welcome

#6 July 24 2018

Azachariou

Welcome to the forum, if I were you I'd watch LinusTechTips' new video with Level1techs. You might be gaming again soon :)

#7 July 24 2018

rolf

Smackcat wrote:

hello!
I'm a 22 yo female about to start grad school. My major has absolutely nothingg to do with programming but I'm super passionate about it.

Why not? There are persons who study programming for various reasons and aren't that passionate about it.
So that's a good thing, I'm guessing passionate people like you are needed.

I like using Linux but it has many shortcomings, for one thing I wish the user-space environment was more secure like Android. Many parts of it are outdated or lacking but they're not being updated as much as I'd like to see.

I like the Gnome desktop environment, I prefer the UI to Windows or even OSX - but I have to ignore the bad performance and the parts that don't work well like for example the software center.

By the way, welcome.

Last edited by rolf (July 24 2018)

#8 July 27 2018

Joe

Welcome to the forum.

I'm learning python on my own which seems like a mega challenge

Great challenge, good luck! Python is great. If you have questions, please ask ahead in the forum.

i use linux which doesnt support most games

This is still true, unfortunately, but the situation has improved drastically in the past 5-10 years. Steam has been ported to Linux and with that a serious chunk of games have been ported too. Some of the most successful titles are now available like:

• Dota 2

• Civilization V

• Counter Strike GO

• Minecraft

• Borderlands 2

• Rocket League

• Team Fortress 2

• Ark: Survival Evolved

You can also find some amazing indie games like Stardew Valley (definitely worth checking out if you're into farm simulator games!) or Garry's Mod.

Finally, you can find some very solid emulators of older consoles available for Linux. I've been using Desmume to play Pokemon (Black, a relatively recent game) for the past 2 weeks. It's not actively developed anymore, but some maintenance and support is still provided via their forum and light patches. You can always find emulators of your favorite consoles to play the games that were popular 5 years ago.

Board footer